It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am really seeing the effects of the economy now

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Point by point for my area (Rural SC).

Rural areas usually feel the pain slower, but when they do I find that it is longer lasting.
For example when there are layoffs, there’s less places to look for work etc.

If you are getting a dozen eggs for three bucks I think you are much cheaper than the vast majority of the country. (Enjoy it!!!)

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Went to Costco today and noticed that razor blade refills are now 3 blades and not 5. A pack of 20 is $42 bucks!
Shrinking products all around.

The sales people there tried to convince me to upgrade to the executive membership. I’ve done that for a few years and it’s not enough of a benefit, but she was really ticked off I said no. I wasn’t in a sassy mood today so I left it, she’s lucky.

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Then it is working. Do not let them get you down. At the same do not let these prices become the new "normal" so we can continue down this dark greedy path we are all on. The system has to completely fail before a phoenix can arise. Just a matter of time...

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Notabot12345666

Yeah to all of that but At least Trump doesn’t tweet anymore

Praying for you

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

Build a strong community.

You will not be able to go it alone. And what you think you have, you will not have, if you have nothing but unprepared people surrounding you.

People are waking up. Reach out to those you trust and are of a like mind. Start there, if you don't know of any groups in your area.

Though if you don't know of any, I am willing to bet they are out there. Test the waters. Get to know the groups well, before you join.

Everybody has to sleep and poop. You can't be on guard 24/7 but for so long.

edit on 1-2-2023 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up.

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 03:31 PM
link   
That’s the plan NSB4D

a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

originally posted by: nickyw
some of the liberal outlets (outside the US) i follow the question is not will it happen but how bad will it be.. the data looks like it'll be similar to 2007/8..

eg How bad will the global housing market crash be? The metrics are eerily similar to 2008

Looking at the data on mortgage-backed securities in the United States today, it paints a grim picture. Mortgage-backed securities held by commercial banks have risen from around $990 billion in 2009 to around $2.7 trillion today — in other words, a roughly threefold increase. While we may have expected banks to have learned their lessons the last time around, it appears that low interest rates have pursued them to forgive and forget and once again take the plunge into the market for mortgage-backed securities.

the question becomes who'll be our lehmans and BlackRock and blackstone seem the stand out risks.. each time we've hit a bump recentrly you see one or the other mentioned as hitting prioblems..

Blackstone’s $69 Billion Real Estate Fund Hit Monthly Redemption Limit in January

the withdrawals are already beginning...

It’s going to be worse than 08’. For the simple reason of housing prices. Anyone that bought in the last 2.5 years is going to get screwed, no matter what. Do you think the banks are going to repossess a house and turn around and sell it for half of what they loaned on it? Nope, they won’t. They will hold on to the assets, effectively reducing the inventory down again. This is the goal of the WEF when they say “We will own nothing, and be happy”. It’s not possible for us to own nothing. However, if you put it in the context of real estate, this is a very real outcome. THIS is the reason companies like Blackrock and Vanguard gobbled up all the real estate at extremely inflated prices. It wasn’t a short term money making venture. It was a long term plan of the consolidation of wealth.! 99% of the people on the planets largest investment they make is in real estate. If they’ve been sliced out of the market, that opens the doors for large corporations to own it all.

So true, much worse.

In 2008/2009 the house pricing didn't do much here. This area grew in some areas more than others, but the city as a whole grew, but not a bubble. Not sure about this time. I feel they are rounding us up in smaller to be more in one area.

Now, the prices for homes have double for trash places and apartments are going up all over the place, R1 residentials being changed to R6 to accommodate for 3 to 4 houses where 1 used to be. Our city counsel sucks and is part of the problem (our most diverse city counsel ever).

I would like to buy some more land to be away, but the prices are crazy and wonder if it crashes I can pick it up cheaper or will the real estate places buy and put a crap ton more apartments on it.

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Hypntick

Point by point for my area (Rural SC).

Rural areas usually feel the pain slower, but when they do I find that it is longer lasting.
For example when there are layoffs, there’s less places to look for work etc.

I lived in the Deep South, this is mostly correct from what I experienced. It’s relatively cheap to live in rural SC. But it’s also hard to get ahead especially if you need to work. My opinion is that a lot of folks get gov handouts, even folks who you’d think don’t. Not judging as everyone needs to survive some how.

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

They keep saying they are preparing us for a recession. Too late. Our system has already collapsed. Reneging on our debt means they will have to give up some land, or they will have to go to war. Neither solution is a win for the American citizens.

They can't let the people catch on too fast. They can't have millions of people that suddenly have not a damn thing to lose, pissed, and coming for their blood. So the will keep escalating the hate, vitriol, and division, to keep us busy fighting each other, instead of them.

When China became the People's Republic of China, the owed the US millions, but when they became a "new" Country, they said the old country owed us, they were a new country and they did not pay.

There are ways around it.

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Went to Costco today and noticed that razor blade refills are now 3 blades and not 5. A pack of 20 is $42 bucks!
Shrinking products all around.

The sales people there tried to convince me to upgrade to the executive membership. I’ve done that for a few years and it’s not enough of a benefit, but she was really ticked off I said no. I wasn’t in a sassy mood today so I left it, she’s lucky.

No discount places?

We have some places near by that you can get brand name shampoo for a buck, sometimes a little more, depends on store, buyers, etc.

Places like Costoco/Sams are just not worth it.

I check theses places regularly, not just for products, but if not much is showing up there and nothing in regular stores, major issues.

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Went to Costco today and noticed that razor blade refills are now 3 blades and not 5.

I had a friend who died a couple years ago and I was telling her then that the kind of thing you're describing cannot continue forever. Sooner or later something's got to give.

I'm wondering what it will be like when they lower the amount of blades to less than 3, then 2, then 1 - what comes next?

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Build a strong community.

You will not be able to go it alone. And what you think you have, you will not have, if you have nothing but unprepared people surrounding you.

People are waking up. Reach out to those you trust and are of a like mind. Start there, if you don't know of any groups in your area.

Though if you don't know of any, I am willing to bet they are out there. Test the waters. Get to know the groups well, before you join.

Everybody has to sleep and poop. You can't be on guard 24/7 but for so long.

That's good advice and I have been "testing the waters," so to speak. I know of some good groups and there's lots of people near me who woke up long ago. Plus, there's a cattle ranch less than a mile from my house. I feel that people in this area would be good at bartering if we had to suffer some kind of calamity.

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Merlynn

No discount places?

We have some places near by that you can get brand name shampoo for a buck, sometimes a little more, depends on store, buyers, etc.

Places like Costoco/Sams are just not worth it.

I check theses places regularly, not just for products, but if not much is showing up there and nothing in regular stores, major issues.

Let me tell you, Costco is totally 10000% worth it, (to me)
A few weeks ago I tried to shave with a razon made for women that I got from Target.
It wasn't the highest end, but wasn't cheap. That sucker cut up my leg. That razor burn hurt like the dickens!
Then the exact same thing happened to my daughter. I don't know if they were defective, or just cheap and we aren't used to them, but I will never go back to discount razors! I have to use the Gilette multi blade ones.

Also Costco has excellent seafood and red meat. Their fruits and veggies are also much nicer than most grocery stores. They are also often cheaper if you can use the bulk amounts (which we do)

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Ok...here is what I see where I am in the DFW area.

Restaurants Busy as always. Lines, full parking lots, packed. Prices up a few dollars, at least, per person. This is sit down and fast food. My daughter and I tend to run thru McD's after kickboxing class and just for the 2 of us its almost $20. We don't get a bunch of extra foods. Just 2 combo meals. That is insane.

Grocery stores & retail Yes, packaging smaller, prices up. However, some prices are not up as much here as I am seeing reported elsewhere. Like the eggs and milk I buy are only up about $1 more. I have bought the same brand for years. Im picky. And I don't expect anything to stay the same price for years on end. Some things are way out of control on prices. Like a bag of chips. Family/party size is now the regular size from 10 years ago and its half full. For the same price of regular or more. THAT # drives me insane. Meat is not up as much here as elsewhere, but I buy local meat Texas meat. It is up, but nothing crazy.

Most retail places are packed too. HD/Lowes, shopping centers, malls - lots full of cars, people shopping and buying things. Maybe people are racking up credit card debt?

Homes. Last year, I sold my house for almost 400k more than what I paid for it. There was a bidding war with a dozen + offers and the buyer's offer was $30k over asking. It was on the market - FOUR DAYS. I made a massive profit. I do not even believe my house was worth that much - but that is what the market was at the time. I look now and everything is showing that the house is appraising less than what the buyers paid for it. Damn. But hey, interest rates sure were low at that time.

I bought a new home. Brand new build in a new state. A zillion times better than my previous house. I got it at a low interest rate. Just barely though. A month later, rates skyrocketed. My biggest fear now, is it appraising for lower than what I paid. I don't know the market well here and will be wanting to sell and buy when/if interest rates go down low again.
Houses in my neighborhood are not selling fast either. This brings me anxiety.

Employment I do not believe businesses are actually hiring, even tho they claim they are. I don't think they want to pay extra employees, keeping costs down. I could tell dozens and dozens of stories of people of all kinds applying for jobs of all kinds - getting no callbacks. In my small town. In the larger cities around. Its a very odd thing happening. They say "nobody wants to work". Bull#. BULLSHIIIIIIT. People need to work, because gov funding cannot sustain the prices right now.

Traffic is insane here. Except for our ice storm this week, the road is packed with drivers - going - where? Work, shopping, living life. Gas hovers around $3 regular moving up and down .10 or so around the metroplex. The roads are packed with truckers. Packed. They are hauling something............illegals? L O L

edit on 2023 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2023 @ 09:10 PM
link   

I have a couple of friends that only get to the store about once a month, they live a long way out, and can't drive any more. They buy in bulk and they share what they will not use with others. It helps provides them with a bit of time for socializing and connecting with each other. My neighbors frequently share their excess produce, fruit, eggs, and such.

I have a friend that buys BOGOs and she drops off at my house the free one. I share my excess with her as well.

Building community can start small, and grow stronger.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I went to the grocery store and saw two people, a couple. Its rather large and known for being more expensive than others but still, usually you at least see elderly shopping there still. I just go for the fried chicken. There was no fried chicken lol.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 06:32 AM
link   
CURIOUS .... NO?

Is This Where They HIDING The FOOD!!?

edit on 222023 by MetalThunder because: cARPE dIEM

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 07:07 AM
link   
In the UK prices for everything are going through the roof. Baked beans just keep going up and up as my neighbour keeps commenting on. Pretty much everyone is on strike too for inflationary wage increases bringing the country to a standstill. Interest rates were just raised to 4% putting more pressures on debt and the housing market. Factories are closing down everywhere. Terrible war rages on the Continent pushing this inflationary cycle through the roof. Things just seem to be going from bad to worse. I can't remember such a concerning time being a Brit in my fifty years on this planet.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MetalThunder

The first time I heard about this place was over 10 years ago. So it has been around a while. They have been storing stuff there for quite a while.

I am sure it is well maintained and controlled, and I am sure the rotate the stock. That is likely how dollar stores go started.

As huge as the place may be, it is not big enough to hold everybody. So if something apocalyptic goes down, a lot of us will not be in the ark. And mean a whole lot of us will be left behind. A hell of a lot more will be outside, than inside.

I am down with that. I could not live with myself if my space meant that one child, any child, would be left out.

I am too damn old to even want to think about what they would be returning to when it is over.

I will gladly take the long walk. I just pray each step would be with a passing memory of all the blessings that were bestowed upon me all this days I have been on this little blue marble.

But I also pray that my demise will be quick. Like instantaneously quick. I have a high pain tolerance but I don't like testing it. I hate pain.

posted on Feb, 2 2023 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Yes. All has indeed gone to hell in a basket.

Maybe because this is the world we chose.

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join