It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How close to breaking point are we with costs?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: RonnieJersey

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I’ve seen, you’ve seen it.

People are already talking about skipping traditional Thanksgiving because of the cost and doing a more toned down meal.
They are also saying things like it’s about togetherness and not the food. I do agree with that, however turkey is traditional. When we can’t afford turkey one day of the year something is REALLY wrong.

I went to our normal neighborhood grocery store and a box of butter was 7 dollars, SEVEN dollars for four sticks of butter. I live in the Dairy state!
Dog food is getting so pricy that it is actually cheaper for me to make my own. I buy a little extra beef and veggies and cut them up real good and my ol’ girl is happy as can be.

Gas seems to be stabilizing a bit, but I noticed our very low electric bill went up quite a bit this last month.
Luckily we don’t have water costs as we are on a well, but my friend that do have a water utility are getting charged left and right.

People are treading water right now and I suspect a lot of people are living off of credit cards, and it’s going to be real ugly when the floor falls out. I really don’t think we are there yet, but we are sure close. I think we are going to find out after Christmas.

Also restaurants in my area are now starting to close some days, and have shorter hours. Stores are closing on Sundays, which is normally one of the busier days of the shopping week. Two of my favorite restaurants that I’ve been going to my entire life are starting to alter menu items due to cost. Man is it sad when that happens!

On the positive side. I think more people than ever will start cooking from scratch. I think people will probably lose weight and be healthier. More people will have to grow a garden, even a small one. More people will pay attention to what is filling and nutritious. I think junk foods will be more of a luxury (seen how much a bag of chips are now!! 😳)

Now for a shocking story. I was out of town this weekend and just wanted a small breakfast. My husband got me an avocado toast from a coffee shop… It was 11 dollars!!!!! And it was just one piece!!!!!!!

Now the only problem is we all need to skip the bread, but we really are gonna need a dessert to go with that after dinner coffee

Just a hint - Martha Stewart just put out a great Frozen Carrot Cake in the freezer department, I tried it on sale the other day for $8.99, it's really good!

Hmmm, we all do love a good carrot cake, LOL if we save on dinner else I don't mind splurging elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Since I will not be visiting family either this year me and the wife will have the traditional no holds barred high end steakhouse dinner for thanksgiving...lets just hope premium beef doesn't spike too...oh and the top shelf scotch...can't forget the scotch!

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: RonnieJersey

There are a lot of people getting benefits but I don’t think that is going to last forever.
Remember a government that gives is a government that can take away, this one is going to burn a lot of people.

Here is what I think will happen.

They will raise prices more and more, and hope that people will have to work. It still won’t be enough people.
They will have to get some of the people on benefits to work. The only way to do that is to reduce benefits.

Remember these companies are making record profits, they don’t have to raise prices, they want to. They want more people working.

Well I don't think you are living where we are, I have a few friends who are cashiers in these supermarkets - and see those who are and have been on food stamps with thousands loaded on per month.
And we're watching them in our neighborhood - none of them speak English and none of them are working. And it's been like this for a few years, and getting worse.
An apartment was rented by a woman and her baby on this block, they were on full public assistance. This woman moved her boyfriend in, then her mother, then she was moving the rest of the family in when the landlord finally took her to court and got her evicted.
Our tax dollars are paying for this madness.
Just one of many reasons I want the Republicans to get back in, to put a stop to this.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Breaking point is near. I expect just how near depends on the outcome of the elections.

We will be doing our usual Thanksgiving meal. And enjoying every bite of the leftovers. While the initial cost is high, I'll be able to batch and freeze a few dinners with the leftovers. No one is advertising turkeys yet. My local market only has 12 lb Butterballs right now for $2.50/lb. I expect that to change next week after Halloween and the new ads come out.

We've already talked about Christmas with the kids, and agreed to create memories, rather than give presents.

It's been a real roller coaster of a year for all of us. Lots of challenges and changes and worries. But also much joy and wonder and love. I think we're all ready for some quiet and peaceful holidays.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Well Joe Biden and other democratic leaders are going ahead to push oil price cap on Russian oil/gas.

Expect oil prices to rise even more before the elections.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: SourGrapes
Do they ship well? My family eats a ton of eggs.

Also, butter. We only ever use real butter. It's
$4.99 for Kroger brand and $6+ for name brands. That's $1.25+ per stick!

With baking season coming up, I'm going to go broke.

I don't think shipping eggs will turn out too well lol. Maybe because I'm 15 miles from a huge egg farm, but Walmart has 5 dozen for $10.19.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Wow at your prices. Not experiencing that here. Some things have gone up slightly but I can still get 18 count large eggs for 4.00 and butter for 3.50. A 24 lb turkey for 24.00 right now. Just checked.

No plans to scale down. I'm cooking for 22 people. If anything it will be more. I usually don't get to do the cooking, so I'm adding to the usual fare with greens with smoked turkey necks, baked Mac n cheese and sweet potato casserole and I'll add a cake with the pies as that's my kids and their significant others favorites that I usually make separately the day after since I don't get to usually host Thanksgiving.
edit on 26-10-2022 by frogs453 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Eggs are $7.49 for an 18 pack, at my local Kroger/PicknSave

Where do you live? That's ridiculous.

Where I live four sticks of butter is like three dollars.
60 eggs is like eight dollars.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1v2

I'm in Waukesha County, WI.
edit on 26-10-2022 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: SourGrapes

Ah, good ol Waukesha. Have you tried hitting up a neighbor who raises chickens? They usually taste better too. Though, you may get a surprise in a few of them if they're not candling them at the right time.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I sympathise with what you and everybody else are going through. I'm feeling the pinch as well. The only way I get through this rough time with food prices is to be a very very smart shopper. Here's an example of what I mean as to my methods. I want to point out that the traditional Thanksgiving dinner is my favorite combination of foods and is my favorite meal. Below will make more sense knowing that. First off, a link to the photograph of the dinner I'm talking about.

Thanksgiving Dinner 2020

My Very Own Walden Itemized Thanksgiving Dinner List (with apologies to Henry David Thoreau)

One Whole Turkey......................................$6.28 (on sale, approx. 15 lbs.)
5 lb. Bag of Potatoes..................................$3.49 (I didn’t use the whole bag, either)
Cranberry Sauce (I Buried Paul).......................$.50 (on sale)
Box of Stuffing Mix....................................$.75
Homemade Rolls........................................$1.39 (two and a half dozen rolls)
Green Beans............................................$2.71 (they were my home-canned beans)
Canned Pumpkin (for pies)............................$.50 (on sale)
One Gallon of Whole Milk..............................$1.99 (I didn’t use the whole gallon)
One Pound of Real Butter..............................$2.89 (I didn’t use all the butter)
Bacon (Pieces)..........................................$.25 (that I had diced up in the freezer already)
One Can of Evaporated Milk...........................$1.00 (for pumpkin pie)

Total.......................................................$21.75

Now, I really really like turkey dinners, so living by myself, this meal went a long way and lasted a several days. I had Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving Day and then six (6) identical repeats of the meal, so when you divide $21.75 by 7 you get the sum total of $3.11 per belly-filling meal. (I rounded up the price to the nearest cent.) Where else can you get such a sumptuous meal, one that is homemade and nutritious and good for you, for such a low price as that? And to add to that, what was leftover of the turkey and beans went into make a pot of turkey vegetable soup that lasted 4 or 5 more days. It pays to be a smart shopper and to have cooking skills. I buy turkey when it’s on sale and stock up so I always have one when needed. I currently have 4 in stock. The key is smart shopping, never forget that.

Looking over this list from two years back (2020) really puts into perspective how much food prices have gone up. I don’t think something like that can be done nowadays unless you’re a smart shopper. But, then as a shopper, we all should have been on top of our game all along. Right?
edit on 26-10-2022 by TrulyColorBlind because: Added link to photo of the turkey dinner I was writing about.

edit on 26-10-2022 by TrulyColorBlind because: Added a description of the added link.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:11 PM
link   

" How close to breaking point are we with costs? "

Well , Until I am Willing to be on a Strict Diet of Bugs as my Only Sustenance in Staying Alive because of Circumstances Beyond my Control , or Resorting to Cannibalism as a Last Resort , I will be Trying to Destroy ANYONE who Approaches me with Bad Intent to my Person . Personal Survival Supercedes Compliance of ANY Kind in my Mindset at this Time .
edit on 26-10-2022 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I've already killed my neighbors pets and am looking that the neighbors next.

I wear assless leather chaps with a mohawk and a mask.

It's already Road Warrior time for me.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I read a statistics once that said historical when basic goods reach 60% of someone's income they revolt. It's happened like 7 times throughout recorded history.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
I read a statistics once that said historical when basic goods reach 60% of someone's income they revolt. It's happened like 7 times throughout recorded history.

This is what was happening 100 years ago across Europe, and was the beginning of WWII.
You're right.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Calm down there Wez before somebody loses some fingers

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TrulyColorBlind

Good job! You're right that it's nutritious, budget friendly, and yummy.

We're kindred spirits in more ways than one. Not just the batching, but Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, I love everything about it, and especially the menu -- on Thanksgiving Day, and the leftovers that follow. Stuffing is one of the few foods that actually tastes better the second (and third... and fourth...) time around.

The day after Thanksgiving, we have some leftovers, and then I divide what's left for freezing. I use the 8" square aluminum pans, and put dinner-size portions of turkey, stuffing, and green bean casserole. The extra gravy I store in Mason jars. Homemade cranberry sauce in the fridge. Any leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge as well -- those always go fast though! And they're quick enough and easy enough to whip up. Especially if the rest of the dinner goes straight from the freezer to the oven!

I wish I had the freezer space to have a couple turkeys on hand all year. I do have a second freezer, but it's full of meats I've picked up on sale, and other things I've cooked ahead. It definitely helps the budget go farther.

I've read that inflation here (greater Phoenix area) is among the highest in the nation. I knew prices were way up, but figured it was about the same for everyone. I've had to make some adjustments and accommodations to our budget, but I'm not complaining. I know many people are really hurting, people with kids at home, so my heart goes out to them. We're good. Like my husband and I laughed recently, good thing we know how to do poor!

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Or, ass cheeks. We don't want anyone blinded by DBs full moon.

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Or, ass cheeks. We don't want anyone blinded by DBs full moon.

Ain't it funny where these threads go sometimes, from high prices to ass cheeks.

But his leather chaps do explain the beef shortage I suppose

posted on Oct, 26 2022 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Yo Bill , I am NOT KIDDING ............*)

<< 1    3  4 >>

join