It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are People Obese in America because it is Socially Acceptable

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

At 24 I was a 139 lbs and told I was dangerously underweight even though I ate constantly, but was also active constantly.

Now at 49 I am 176 lbs and I am told I am borderline obese.

The papers on this are changing so often that many people are confused over whats obese.

That said, this body positivity movement is not good, its not healthy to be morbidly obese the truly irritating thing is barring a health problem most people could get to a healthy weight without a great deal of sacrifice.

Cooking your food rather than eating fast food every day, portion control over getting XL size food and drink, walking a mile or 2 a day and weight will come off.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

The problem comes in when any form of discussing the very real issues surrounding her situation is labeled as "shaming". In this case, what were they supposed to do with her? The support they used to help her move was what was needed, not something chosen to "shame" her.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

yes,
walking is the key

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The problem comes in when any form of discussing the very real issues surrounding her situation is labeled as "shaming". In this case, what were they supposed to do with her? The support they used to help her move was what was needed, not something chosen to "shame" her.

She shamed herself by being a cow.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

Now that would be fat shaming, but if you just are telling her the truth: Your weight is terribly unhealthy. You can't move yourself and we need special equipment to move you. Until and unless you put yourself on a special regimen of diet and exercise to shed some of this unhealthy weight, nothing will ever change or improve and, in fact, will only get worse for you until you die, likely decades earlier than you normally would ... That's not fat shaming, that's the truth. It's an ugly one, but sometimes, reality is ugly.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That's not fat shaming, that's the truth. It's an ugly one, but sometimes, reality is ugly.

You mean like buying two seats on an airplane instead of one.
Let’s face it, the regular seats aren’t even that big, but it’s unfair when you have a larger person spilling over into your seat. I’ve had this happen multiple times and it’s very uncomfortable and unfair.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

Now that would be fat shaming, but if you just are telling her the truth: Your weight is terribly unhealthy. You can't move yourself and we need special equipment to move you. Until and unless you put yourself on a special regimen of diet and exercise to shed some of this unhealthy weight, nothing will ever change or improve and, in fact, will only get worse for you until you die, likely decades earlier than you normally would ... That's not fat shaming, that's the truth. It's an ugly one, but sometimes, reality is ugly.

She didn't follow the prescribed diet at the hospital, gaining weight. I have no sympathy for someone who chooses to eat like a pig.

She brought shame on herself. No one else did that.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It's more a case of too much cake and pie but not enough moving.

Though the standard portion sizes in the US are two to three times the size of UK/EU and the intensive use of chemicals and growth hormones in food production/packaging certainly plays a big part.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   
People are obese in America because the first food that they can afford, and the foods they like, are often full of toxic chemicals, preservatives, and thinks the body cannot break down because they’re things that are not intended for human consumption. Over time, this builds up and has a snowball effect. You’ll find that many foods/additives/ingredients that are banned or outlawed elsewhere are still in many American products. Things like sucralose are added to items which have been around for a long time before sucralose, now contain it. Why? American’s like to think of American exceptionalism as a good thing. When what it really is, is a target. Were the Exception to the people being powerless, or could be at least.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   
If you get your food from a quickie mart, almost all of what they sell is candy. I think it just preserves well, so they don't have to maintain their inventory too closely.

If you live next to a quickie mart, but have to travel to get to a supermarket, the temptation to eat lots of candy must be overwhelming. Fortunately for me, I live walking distance to a grocery store, and the quickie mart is the one I have to travel to get to.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 07:48 PM
link   
yeah just change the definition of
jiggle O

i'm not a fan of junk in the trunk anyway.

for me it's not about that bass.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bastion

Speaking of portion sizes does anyone else think it's weird that a can of soda is considered one serving, but a 20oz bottle of soda is also considered one serving?

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Do you want the logical answer?

I don't know how US insurance works, morbidly obese might be covered on insurance but I doubt it is if she's purposefully eating junk food? Want to get her sectioned? I have been blabbering on about mental health...

I'd probably refuse her treatment on legal grounds, refer her elsewhere and then hire an outside company to move her whilst making sure all my legal responsibilities are nullified.

Tbh I think I've spent enough posts on what would be a 5 minute court case in a sane world anyways, when you weigh as much as a medium sized animal and cannot move yourself it's going to take the apparatus that normally moves a medium sized animal to lift you. Open and shut case, using substandard equipment would put patient safety at risk.

How do you change that? Psyche ward? Drastic surgery? It's a serious disconnect to turn around and sue the medical providers... Its why I found it hilarious to be accused of defending it earlier lol.

posted on Oct, 18 2022 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I watched an interesting clip that said in some countries there are very few fat people because it is not socially acceptable.
They are basically shamed into fitting in a certain slim mold.

You're saying people desire to be fat if they can get away with it.

We aren’t talking every single person in a country, we are talking overall. If you walked down the street and looked at the majority of people.
It got me really thinking about the US and how much has changed over 40 years.

You don't get healthcare at the V.A., do you? There's the Fat Leonard scandal from the Navy. Leonard Glenn Francis -- however "fat" he was -- allegedly bribed some high ranking U.S. Navy officers who were picking up Malaysian girls and not quite weighing in for P.T. themselves.

When I was in school we had one very obese classmate. I have a suspicion she actually had a medical condition.
There was maybe one or two chubby BOYS. That was it, everyone else was skinny, some almost to the point of what we
Would call anorexic today.

The crowd is always picking on one or two kids who are left out for whatever reason, fat or not. There are the healthy athletic girls and then there are the meth-head girls with long painted fingernails and high heels.

Now, take a look at the schools. Look at the schools. We’ve all said it. What is going on with these kids?
Just go to the store, or the mall, or any public place. How many people are average, overweight, and morbidly obese? The numbers are probably shocking.
I read yesterday that Millennials will probably be the most obese society in the history of earth….

We got told somewhere along the way, don’t fat shame it is wrong. My question, is it wrong not to fat shame? Is it ok to accept
Ill health as a society because we don’t want hurt feelings?

I think it goes so much deeper. I believe it is because WE don’t want to deal with the real issues at hand. We don’t want to accept
That we are being poisoned on a daily basis. That our food is quite possibly the worst on earth even though we are one of the richest countries.
We don’t want to accept that maybe we were wrong about societal shame. Look at places like Korea or Japan, shame is so intertwined in their culture that people feel so much safer. We don’t want to work on the real issues in our society, racism, bullying, class wars, parents working too much, kids on electronics too much, no homemade food, medicine up the yahoo, and glorifying unhealthy people everywhere.

My 600lb life. What do they show on these shows? It seems every single morbidly obese person on those shows not only have partners, or multiple partners, they also have a host of servants answering to their every beck and call.

I think we made a wrong turn, but how do we go back.

The feds want us fat. THey're drugging us to make us extra hungry all the time, and extra tired so we don't exercise too much. There are certain health advantages to fat: bones, joints, teeth, hair, skin, and nails all disintegrate if we don't carry an adequate quality and quantity of body fat. As far as I know, the Marine Corps is the fattest branch of the U.S. military. The Army rations and the red-pill-blue-pill skinny Air Force diet are part of a different program and they're getting mercury fillings in all their teeth.

posted on Oct, 18 2022 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Fat because they eat too much and the wrong kind of foods.

posted on Oct, 19 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Reply to justinacolmena:

[There are certain health advantages to fat: bones, joints, teeth, hair, skin, and nails all disintegrate if we don't carry an adequate quality and quantity of body fat.

That is so true - ever see someone who is painfully thin, huge patches of hair gone, missing teeth, painful arthritis - I have noticed that myself, we are all better with a bit of fat, just not too much.
edit on 19-10-2022 by RonnieJersey because: missing info

posted on Oct, 20 2022 @ 02:26 AM
link   
It’s certainly a factor, but Americans have had an increasingly sloppy aesthetic presented to them as desirable for some time now.

Fat people are gross and they know it. They don’t need us to tell them, but they also don’t need a massive global acceptance campaign no real person can look at without twisting their face up a little. We can’t even help but to be grossed out by fatties, as their appearance tells our brain they’re sick.

Really we’re just “yasss queeeen-ing” a lot of people into accepting a shorter life, many of which could surely have been persuaded the other way if people around them weren’t scared to express their concern. Frankly the acceptance thing is just the new group for the laziest fatties, the ones that know they aren’t doing # about it. But I’m no parrot, that # is not beautiful.

We aren’t doing any fatty any favors by patronizing them. Treating them as if they are prized specimens beyond
reproach is treating them as less than human.

posted on Oct, 20 2022 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Better off accepting ourselves as imperfect. Rather than trying to make our imperfections count as perfect.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join