It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are People Obese in America because it is Socially Acceptable

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2022 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: baggy7981

Wow, I read the Daily Mail article also, that is a real shocker, I would be demanding the cost of a 'full' seat back, I realize the seat was purchased for her, but no one needs to have anyone sweating all over them, let alone 2 people!

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 01:13 AM
link   
No, it because you guys get more bang for your buck and have vast amounts of different food chains. An example would be a Big Mac meal up North is twice the price an half the serving, while your is half the price an double the serving.

And just have lots of food, where one says, screw moderation, it my body I do what I want.
edit on 16-10-2022 by Proto88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 01:48 AM
link   
That simple explanation is 100% correct.

How do I know, well I live in New Zealand and specialize in Morbid Obesity Embalming now. I literally watched the crisis unfold over the last 40 years and the big takeaway I can give you, is one immigrant demographic basically decided to "accept" obesity as normal well over 20 years ago.

Then it started being actually celebrated. Big was beautiful. It went from a few to a majority very quickly.

And no it was not anything out of peoples control. It was just cheap unlimited supply of nice tasting food became available to the whole country.

Of course academic apologists will say genetics is responsible, only issue with that BS is, (a) You can make any mammal obese if you over-feed it. (2) Other racial groups are now following the exact same path.

The apologists, enablers and celebrators are and have accelerated the crisis. And it is killing people, and making many disabled, quite young.

a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I think it's a lot of the chemicals added...

I keep hearing people say they eat 10x more in it Italy and never gain a pound.

Preservatives and other stuff are definitely doing a toll.

The bodies of boys are girls are much different today...

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: RonnieJersey

Wow, I read the Daily Mail article also, that is a real shocker, I would be demanding the cost of a 'full' seat back, I realize the seat was purchased for her, but no one needs to have anyone sweating all over them, let alone 2 people!

Re This Incident: www.foxnews.com...

Since there is still a "Covid-19 National Emergency" in effect, this passenger can legally sue American Airlines for personal endangerment.

That, along with Biden-Inflation will keep ticket prices going up up up.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Ha, you’d not get much meat from a large person but instead would get a lot of rather unhealthy fat. Give me the bugs any day, we eat bugs from the sea and in fact pay a premium for a lot of them and they eat far worse things.

Too many bad carbs, lack of basic forms of exercise (walking, cleaning the home, washing clothes, manual work etc) as well as a very unhealthy support of dangerous body weight have just helped people to get bigger and bigger. If you go to some Eastern European countries you can easily spot the tourists from a mile away.

It’s been a few years now since I went to Latvia but I noticed fast food establishments at that time were empty, the coffee shops full. Very few frozen foods but instead large markets that sold mainly fresh food, packed with people. A lot cook from scratch, and those skills are passed on through generations. In the UK both partners often have to work in order to be able to afford rent and food, this leads to a tendency to want fast food because they’ve been in work all day. Where I don’t get it is when a family do not work and they have all day to prepare meals, but phone up a delivery company to bring their fast food, they don’t even walk to a chippy or McDonald’s now.

A friend of mine (works in a hospital) told me that a very large woman who was brought into hospital because she was dangerously overweight, was put on a special diet to help her while in hospital. Her enablers brought in loads of food so the hospital discharged her. She had to be moved using a lifting device used for a horse, she is suing them for this as she said it was degrading.

The level of insanity hurts my head. Yes I’ve been saying for years that a lack of shame in society is allowing poor behaviour to go unchecked.
edit on 16-10-2022 by Tortuga because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Tortuga

Calories in calories calories burnt is the basics, that's the undeniable maths. Very basic and simple.

It starts to get more complex when a human body is put under stress whether it be psychological or physical. You've just explained that yourself.

Physical - burning calories
On a basic level with a modern diet and job chances are you are way in excess of calorific intake on sugar and carbs. It's why the issues begin at the liver and small intestine and the dreaded onset of self-inflicted diabetes kicks in.

Mental/psychological - tiredness/laziness
As you say yourself people often work upto 60 hours a week, work two jobs or push their bodies with poor diets and a lack of excercise and proper self-care techniques, I ain't going to preach hippiness but learning to switch off and relax is essential for destressing.

It's absolutely no surprise to me that people under those conditions wouldn't be honest with their care providers and live under an illusion that eating junk food in a hospital whilst recieving dietary care is ok. You say the hospital is getting sued for it's efforts...

Don't you think shaming that woman's weight would've made that situation worse? I'd like to think education is the only way someone can understand these rather basic principles.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

She was not shamed, she was dangerously overweight and admitted to hospital in order to treat her. They rented a barometric bed specially for her and her special diet was expensive for the hospital. At the time they didn’t have a barometric lift so had to hire the horse crane to move her.

As she disregarded the diet and in fact gained weight at the hospital she was discharged. She was suing them purely on the embarrassment of them using a horse crane on her.

(She may have discharged herself, that part of this I do not remember) but how anyone could defend this madness shows where we are with all of this. There’s always a lunatic that will defend a fatty.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 05:37 AM
link   

She was not shamed

I never said she was I said the place is getting sued, what would be the consequences if she was shamed is what I said...

I'm not defending her and I've mentioned several times the disconnect people have with their health providers, it's a really common problem. Show me an honest person and I'll show you a liar is how the saying goes... It's the assumption of honesty that's the point I think.

There’s always a lunatic that will defend a fatty.

True colours, some people don't like overweight people and that's ok lol. They shouldn't pretend they intend to assist them.

Nobody loses weight unless they want to lose weight. I'm not defending any unhealthy practices here. Like, how does a human come to understand things on earth?

Ridicule?

Trail, error and experience?

Education?

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodworth

I keep hearing people say they eat 10x more in it Italy and never gain a pound. ..

No, the Italians have a very light diet, and they seem to eat less, like once a day from what could tell. Rarely saw meat as the main course. Their wheat is different than the gmo the US has. Fast food joints were rare to see. People there are rail thin.

The three meals a day plus desert western diet and no physical labor or exercise is one aspect to obesity

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I have no problems with people that carry a little weight, the quality of food available and the information they are given doesn’t help. We moved to more sedentary jobs and easier lifestyles, it hasn’t helped.

Morbidly obese people that are that way through bad habits are a drain on our health service and need to sort themselves out. They won’t but unfortunately nature will at a much younger age than it should.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

I was speaking about when Americans vacation there.
I heard 2 people say they are more then they ever did and still lost weight.

Something about American food makes you bloated

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Seems we agree I think.

It all gets back to the ideals of discipline debate again though. You can make warriors out of maids in a day but healthy people out of the undisciplined?

Yeah... As if the greatest minds haven't tackled this thought process before

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 06:40 AM
link   
On another side note, I’ve seen a trend over the last 10-20 years of making obese people movie stars and famous rapper/singers. tv ads today have obese people as normal.

This whole Dad bod acceptance is ludicrous.

You see on social media etc, of Women saying they like the dad-bod look, fact of the matter they would prefer the fit look.

This is conditioning.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: 38181

Do the Italians drink a lot of alcohol? If hey do, they will eat less as alcohol fills ypou up faster than water. I should know, I used to drink a lot. When I did drink I barely ate, and I was skinnier than I am now. I no longer drink but I am not tiny like I was although I have lost 30 lbs. Thanks to covid and stress eating. Back before I found out it was a sham. When I moved down to sunny Florida that's when I lost all of the weight.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It is a personal surrender to the visual, unspoken bandwagon clarion call whispers of propaganda of gluttony to satisfy oral and olfactory sensual stimulation. Such draw for stimulation can never be satisfied to a point of it stopping for any extended period of time. We obsess off the cliff very easily.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Gave you a S & F. Yes its acceptable where in the USA. In centuries past it was also socially acceptable as a sign of wealth. Yes its the food we eat along with the chemicals. It began in the 1950s. The FDA is a burning candle at both ends as we are on our own.

Watch you sugar intake. I now drink Gatorade Zero and Body Armor Lyte. One eight ounce glass of milk equals 12 grams of sugar. That's 1/3 of total daily allowable for a man.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: RonnieJersey

Re This Incident: www.foxnews.com...

Since there is still a "Covid-19 National Emergency" in effect, this passenger can legally sue American Airlines for personal endangerment.

That, along with Biden-Inflation will keep ticket prices going up up up.

Yes, Sydney Watson is suing for 'reparations', Good for her!
If it was me I would hire a dynamite attorney and sue for every penny I could get.

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If one takes a good look at for instance the popular singers of today, those like 'Lizzo' certainly stands out, babbling how 'she loves her body', etc., and young people will be influenced by that, thinking it's ok to be a hundred pounds or so overweight, that it's the new normal.
What it truly is, is hideous and extremely unhealthy.
edit on 16-10-2022 by RonnieJersey because: add something

posted on Oct, 16 2022 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Anyone else notice how Europeans, such as Italians, use meat as a 'garnish' and vegetables for their meal, very nutritious and slimming.
They also use olive oil, and not the other junk.
edit on 16-10-2022 by RonnieJersey because: add something

edit on 16-10-2022 by RonnieJersey because: (no reason given)

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join