It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does America NEED Migrants

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There is no right or wrong answer, merely opinions. PLEASE let's be civil, I've noticed a lot of name calling and other uglyness in a lot of threads lately and it's getting old.

Do we need migrants, illegal aliens, whatever you want to call them?

The fact is, we are stagnating as a country. Part of the reason is our population is not booming like it once was. I don't believe we are in a deficit yet, but it won't be long. If things continue we might end up like Japan, or Germany, or a combination of Russia & Japan and Germany.

Why do we need migrants? Just my opinions.
Migrants often take the jobs Americans DON'T want. We need to be honest with ourselves, we don't want to do farmwork. We don't want to do agricultural work. We don't want those jobs, and our kids don't want those jobs. We don't want many restaurants and customer service jobs either. We don't want to take care of old sick people. Above all, we don't want to do any of those jobs for the pay they are offering. For some pay doesn't even matter, we just don't want to do it. So who will do it?
I'm sure many of these positions will be automated soon, but not that soon. So how do we bridge the gap?

Firstly, we have to make sure that Americans that can work, ARE working. I read that there are ways to get disability for being obese. Not obese for a medical reason, but just from eating too much. How did we get here? We could talk about this issue all day!

Maybe more importantly, our population. Our population is shrinking fast. We need people to reproduce and have children.
You can't have a flourishing economy and country without enough people.
www.business-standard.com...

Immigrants are a gift: Germany learns from solution for birth rate crisis

The naysayers had a field day back in 2015 with their predictions of political failure for Merkel and social chaos for Germany. Today, Germany continues to be the strongest European economy. It struggled during the pandemic, but is now rapidly scaling up its vaccinations. And the anti-immigrant backlash, represented by the far-right Alternative fur Deutschland, has ebbed, with the popularity of the party falling to 11 percent in recent polls. Meanwhile, with its liberal platform on immigration, the Green Party has surged to 25 percent and may well win the September 2021 elections.

edit on 19-9-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

You may be right. However we should quickly fix our immigration system that is very slow and broken.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:06 AM
link   
i own a small business and know alot of other small businesses. Yes we need them. Small businesses cannot find any americans that want to do manual labor. But the government needs to make it so they can have social security # and pay taxes. The immigrants want to do the right thing. AT least most do. Most are kind hard working people. Our government should have a check list . You need a job lined up, a sponsor, and are working to speak the language and then you should be able to get some kind of citizenship

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: HODOSKE

Totally agree to everything but the language thing.

The US does not have an official language.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   
i feel to be a productive member of society you need to understand english language. How are you going to read signs or communicate in public? It will hold them back with so many things if they do not speak english. They can also get better paying jobs if they speak english. a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Legal: Yes.
Illegal: No.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The US does indeed need immigrants. The US is built on the sweat of innovation of the ones born in far off countries who have decided to call the US home.

However. The immigration system is fuct and until both sides decide to act like actual grown-ups and come together to fix that broken system we will only see people treated like political pawns to further the agendas of the money and power hungry politicians.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

However. The immigration system is fuct and until both sides decide to act like actual grown-ups and come together to fix that broken system we will only see people treated like political pawns to further the agendas of the money and power hungry politicians.

I truly believe those in power want to keep it broken because they are the ones that benefit from it.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980

The path to become legal is so convoluted at this point.
It shouldn't take over a decade for someone to become a citizen.
Either they can be a productive (no criminal) member of society, or they can't. I think it's pretty simple.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:30 AM
link   

One hundred percent agree.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   
agreed a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Aren't all Americans descended from migrants?

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I 2nd that. Also..your signature is brilliant.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   

America as a continent does not need immigration, historically, the immigration that happened, only brought america bloodshed, thievery, and enslavement.

I don't think the natives faired too well, when Europe claimed half the continent as theirs.

It's astonishing that the USA formed with all the diffrent European nationalities coexisting, it takes a big amount of tolerance and I do see and respect that.
I wonder where that line gets drawn now-a-days , did it widen or did it tighten?

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   

For many, just a green card would likely suffice. My wife has been here legally for nearly 15 years with a green card and has no intention of ever becoming a U.S. citizen. The only downside for her is that she pays taxes to the U.S. but cannot vote in federal elections. 

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 11:57 AM
link   
As long as us Gen X parents keep coddling our children, the answer is probably yes. I have pals that their kids are in their 20s and still have never had a job. It's pretty stupid for them to allow that as parents.

That being said, each illegal alien needs to become a legal alien before I even care at all about their plight. Sorry, if I have to live by laws then so do they.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: greendust

You don't have to live by the laws, but you will have to deal with the consequences, IF the law finds out.
That's the same for illegal immigrants, and you wouldn't want to trade shoes in that scenario...
edit on 19-9-2022 by Terpene because: Big if

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I truly believe those in power want to keep it broken because they are the ones that benefit from it.

A friend emigrated to the US from Turkey. He had to hire an Immigration Lawyer that cost him $50,000. A few years later he brought his Wife again he had to hire a lawyer for another $50,000.

85% of Lawyers donate to the Democratic Party. You figure it out.

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: HODOSKE
i own a small business and know alot of other small businesses. Yes we need them. Small businesses cannot find any americans that want to do manual labor. But the government needs to make it so they can have social security # and pay taxes. The immigrants want to do the right thing. AT least most do. Most are kind hard working people. Our government should have a check list . You need a job lined up, a sponsor, and are working to speak the language and then you should be able to get some kind of citizenship

I bet you'd find Americans who don't shy away from hard work if they get payed appropriately.
Most Americans have bills to pay and taxes etc.
They need a steady, safe job. An immigrant isn't so fussy, especially if they are illegal.
If you can't afford Americans of any colour, then you can't afford running a business and vote accordingly.

It's quite an insult to expect people to work in a hard job for minimal amounts, just because you can't afford to pay more.
It's exploitation of the poor and needy.
edit on 19-9-2022 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Either they can be a productive (no criminal) member of society, or they can't. I think it's pretty simple.

There's a difference between a "Legal Immigrant" and an Immigrant who is on the path to citizenship. You can be a "Legal Immigrant" and live out your days without becoming a citizen.

When they actually taught "Civics" in our schools, Citizenship took seven years to acquire. There is a reason for that. It is to prevent the Party in power from granting "citizenship" to acquire more votes to enable them to stay in power. I agree with that. It used to be one of the requirements for citizenship was the ability to speak and read English.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join