It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools across nation close due to Tik Tok & Threats

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:27 AM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

School districts across the country issued warnings, increased security and canceled classes Friday in response to vague, anonymous shooting and bomb threats that officials say were made on TikTok but are not considered credible.

Numerous schools in my own area have closed due to threats. Some say there were hit lists on bathroom walls. Others say threats were made.
Some say it's just an internet prank.
It is happening all over the country, why isn't this being talked about more?

Some blame TikTok, but did we blame phones in the 90's when threats were made?

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Some blame TikTok, but did we blame phones in the 90's when threats were made?

My middle school had a bomb threat in the 90's after Columbine.

The stellar example of idiocy called it in from one of the classrooms' phones. Yeah, the office knew what room that came from immediately, lol.

We all had to evacuate anyway, and his dad showed up almost as soon as they called him & the cops. I think that was the only time a parent EVER clocked their kid flat on their ass in front of everyone, and got support for it FROM the kids (couldn't miss it, assembled in the parking lot)

Consequences for this # is what's missing today. That dad was practically the last of his kind.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

From what I heard on the local news is that it was a "challenge". People take these Tik Toc challenges.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Phones didn't have the ability to contact thousands all at the same time, like TikTok. That's the site that got kids eating tide pods and a whole lot of other incredibly stupid/dangerous things. Children want to be a part of the 'happening' crowd, so closing schools was a wise move, IMO.
TikTok, as you probably know, is an app straight out of China. President Trump drew outrage and wrath when he wanted to ban it in the US. China bans the very app they created in their own country, yet the US welcomes their Trojan Horse with open arms.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It is criminal. It should be investigated. These things can’t be taken lightly.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The jr high school in our district had a bomb threat written on a mirror in a girls bathroom yesterday. I got a recorded message from the district superintendent about it yesterday afternoon, explaining what had happened and that they would have bomb sniffing dogs from three different law enforcement agencies on site this morning to check the school before it opened for students.

I drove by the building last night. There was a holiday concert last night.
The parking lot was full and I would guess the auditorium was packed.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yep, our school here sent a letter to parents explained the trend adn will keep school going.

Helps to have an on-duty officer that lives on campus.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

From what I heard on the local news is that it was a "challenge". People take these Tik Toc challenges.

Oh yeah, that "fabricate a terrorist threat for internet clout" challenge I've been seeing all over the Twitter.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Ok, so this is everywhere. Not just where I am, and not specific to which school(s).. there is only a handful here that sent out letters to parents.

www.wtae.com...

Several districts in the western Pennsylvania region have sent letters to families telling them they are aware of a post that has been shared widely this week on the social media platform TikTok.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:52 AM
link   

What happened to the gold old days when it was just the 'Punch a Teacher Challenge'?

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   

At least one around here.

Stepped up law enforcement presence at Lincoln Park Academy after written threat found

There is a stepped up law enforcement presence at Lincoln Park Academy Thursday and Friday after a threat was found written on a bathroom wall, a St. Lucie County Sheriff’s official said.

The threat was made Wednesday at the school in the 1800 block of Avenue I, the official said.

She said the threat is under investigation, and said no arrests have been made.

She could not provide any further information, such as the nature of the threat or how it was reported.

Attempts to reach a school district spokesperson were not immediately successful.

Copied entire blurb due to potential paywall.

ETA: For awhile there was some TikTok challenge about destroying the school bathrooms. It hit our kids' school.

Why are people blaming the app or the phones? The kids were given these things by someone who pays for them. Oh, yeah. The bloody parents!
edit on 12/17/2021 by cmdrkeenkid because: Added additional response.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This is what happens when we let our children be discouraged from competitive sports!!!

Now they look for different avenues to measure and test their strength and skills, with made up dumb "challenges".

I give you a challenge @12 year old tiktoker:

"See this sand pit? You can see who jumps the furthest. See this road? Let's find out who's the fast one. That weight there? Who can throw it the furthest?"

"See that math equation? Tick tock the clock is running everyone solving it in under 2 minutes will be freed from class ten minutes before the others! If you do it in under a minute, no math homework this week for you.."

That's how you spawn competition and challenge.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

For the last 2 months Central Catholic Highschool here, has received 3 bomb threats. but not clear if it was sent by phone,text,e-mail or letter.

One other catholic school in the area also closed one day due to a threat as well.

edit on 17-12-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain
"See that math equation? Tick tock the clock is running everyone solving it in under 2 minutes will be freed from class ten minutes before the others! If you do it in under a minute, no math homework this week for you.."

You might trigger some PTSD on that one. I had some elementary teachers like that. Hated them at the time, wish they were still made from that stock today.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Not really implying anything, but Christmas break begins today in our neck of the woods. Basically just assembly, not sure if there’s even homeroom🤷🏼‍♂️

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Most people are unaware that the Chinese "Tik Tok", loosely transalated, means:
"Destroying Western society through short-form user videos with durations between 15 seconds and 3 minutes, from genres like pranks, stunts, tricks, jokes, dance, and entertainment."

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   

The only real answer to this is to give schools some kind of legal immunity if they ignore a threat like this that turns out to be genuine.

Until then, schools will err on the side of caution.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

We had two bomb threats when I was in trade school. Two helicopters, special forces, bomb squad and sniffing dogs.

Our teacher wandered in the second time because he forgot his jacket (cigarettes). He was brought out and I picked up this, still makes me chuckle when I remember the special forces head guy's reaction:

Special force guy when the teacher turned right on his shoe soles and tried to go back in (it was winter)(paraphrased): "You're not supposed to be in there now!!!"

Teacher: "And on a normal day, YOU are not supposed to be here telling me what to do! If I want to grab my jacket and die doing it, that's not your problem."

Special forces guy grabs his radio, two minutes later the entrance is blocked by them. Teacher not to be found. Five minutes later, he joins us again, with his jacket, flinging his keys around his index finger and whistling.

That guy had guts! But he knew it was probably a fake though.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
Most people are unaware that the Chinese "Tik Tok", loosely transalated, means:
"Destroying Western society through short-form user videos with durations between 15 seconds and 3 minutes, from genres like pranks, stunts, tricks, jokes, dance, and entertainment."

Isn't Tik Tok US a separate company form Tik Tok China?

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Why can't these assholes ever do a "Straight A" challenge?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join