It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Cancel Culture anti-American?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Tekner

Spot on!

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I think you re conflating "culture" with individual preferences. Just as climate is a summation of weather, culture is a summation of individual preferences.

As an example, my culture is seen to include a lot of overly large pickup trucks. That is true; but I drive a Buick. Why? Because I don't haul heavy materials more than I do, and I like the comfort and gas mileage advantage of a car. That is my individual preference. It does not preclude the fact that we do have an inordinate amount of people who drive overly large pickup trucks (mainly because we have a lot of people here who work a lot with heavy materials).

My culture is also based on a life-long tie to the land. There I do fit into the cultural norm.

Every person in a culture contributes to that culture through their individual preferences. That's what I mean when I say the culture is a summation. This works out fine when cultural ideals are respected; immigrants into that culture make only a minor change to the culture itself over time, and those who die off leave room for the next entry to change cultural norms just a bit. Over time, this leads to an evolution of the culture. Such an evolution is not in itself good or bad, it simply is.

The problem comes when 1) an inordinate number of outsiders to that culture move into it and change it drastically in a short time span, leaving those familiar and satisfied with it to exist in an unfamiliar and unsatisfying new culture without time to adapt; and 2) when cultural symbols and meanings are co-opted and removed by others because of their outside sensibilities. Those two things are happening right now. Perhaps you consider it a good thing, but I do not. I am still confused why some people seem to think their perspective and only their perspective should rule all others.

But, of course, that is now the "American way."

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

That's why I said it's hardly unique to the United States.

It's especially irksome for a nation that enshrines freedom of opinion before everything else in it's Constitution.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Is it?

Or is it we merely hear more about it?

Of course, it depends greatly upon what you consider to be "cancel culture". I submit that it's known by many, many names, and has been throughout history.
edit on 2/23/2021 by seagull because: hear, here, english can be tough sometimes...

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: LSU2018

That was a debate? It seemed like a poetry slam competition but the woman took a line of coc aine beforehand.
YAH YAH YAH!!!!

Worst part is that they won. I'd like to know what "competition" they faced.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Except whites or trump supporters are not being genocided… Bias from leftist outlets or pundits? Sure. But it is just silly to say that somehow these small group of extreme leftists that think Trump supporters should die and white people are evil are going to genocide white people, take away trump supporters right to vote, or prevent white people from getting jobs.

Why not just call it racism, instead of white genocide? Throwing that term around is pretty silly.

Normally it's something stupid enough to overlook, but when these anchors aren't being called out or even losing their jobs after the former president was just impeached by the House for saying "fight like hell" has dire consequences in the future if things don't change. Can't be racism according to those "making the rules" because it's against white people. That's how we've arrived at this point.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Now, if one were to ask, are these things that would have been considered American 50, 40, 30, 20 years ago? On, hell no! They were the antithesis of American. But, we are not living 50, 40, 30, 20 years ago. We are living now. Now, today, all those things are as American as apple pie once was thought to be.

Cancel culture has always been here, my friend.

McCarthy and his Un-american BS. The anti-war protests of the sixties, and more recently. It's been prevelent since the birth of our nation.

It's not always a bad thing.

As an example, the Civil Rights movement that "cancelled", or helped to do so, Jim Crow here in the South, and to a lesser degree, elsewhere.

It's far too generic a term, too all encompassing.

Some of it, much of it, is wrong. Anti-ethical to what this country is supposedly all about. But not all of it is.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Cancel culture is a defense mechanism for liberals since they can’t debate any of their stances. No worries though once they’ve cancelled everyone they disagree with the next step is bullets flying since nobody will be discussing things anymore. Plus liberals don’t like guns and want them banned, so you see where this is going.

Or Trump goons not believing their cult leader could lose.

How does that relate in any way to Trump and the election? Our stances over the election have been put out there over and over and over and over. In fact, Middle's post can directly reflect what you just said because all you can do to debate his post is say "Trump goons don't believe their cult leader can lose" and you brought nothing to back your statement up.

Because it's a classic example of cancel culture. Nation has an election, many on the losing side can't take that and literally tried to cancel it.

I appreciate you don't like it because it shows it's not restricted to one group of people showing the same behaviour, but that's your problem not mine.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: blueman12

What you see going on is putting us on the road to it.

We are at least two if not three and working on stage four on the road to genocide.

Exactly. Kill a white person, it doesn't make the news. But let a cop kill a black guy who's trying to kill the cop and it's mainstream news, burning cities, and destruction all in the name of white supremacy. Or you can even look at the latest protest against white supremacy because a black man sliced up an Asian man.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 04:11 PM
link   

This is the chart used in a lesson in a school in Manhattan's Lower East Side. It was created by a man named Barnor Hesse of Northwestern University to teach us whites and non-whites who have embraced white supremacy culture how to not be white anymore.

I'll let Ben Shapiro break it down because he has the material that goes with it and explains it and what it all means. This is what they're teaching our kids in some places.

It is incredibly racist and not in the ways you think.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

McCarthy-ism was un-American, and was another example of "cancel culture" that needed to be put down.

The anti-war protests of the 1960s weren't trying to cancel anything cultural (unless one considers the war-mongers of the time to be a "culture"; I do not). They were a group of rebels looking for a cause, and might have actually been successful had they tried to communicate their desires in a civilized and understandable way. Spitting on returning soldiers was not such. They should have been spitting on the Pentagon.

The recent "protests" were not protests at all; they were riots and vandalism.

Jim Crow laws were not a cultural issue; they were a geographic issue. They were also the direct result of the actual "cancel culture" movement that came before, when the Union literally attempted genocide on the South. People, any people, tend to get angry when someone kills their families, burns their homes, and steals any homes that survived the burnings. Angry people do crazy things.

What we are seeing today is a movement to remove statues to fallen heroes and cultural icons, in an attempt to literally destroy the cultures involved. We see a movement that insists that a particular opinion is worthy of both physical attack and societal punishment. That is far and away more grievous than anything in our history since the Salem Witch Trials, and far more widespread than they were.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I think that what you describe is what they want us to fear, and is constantly posted all over the internet. I will even admit that there is small group of people that may indeed like for that take over to happen, but their numbers are too few to be successful as long as we stop giving power to that nonsense, I don't believe what you describe is what is actually happening, any place but in the minds and hearts of those that live on the internet.

Do you have an inordinate number of outsiders that have moved into your area, and have changed it drastically in a short time span, leaving those familiar and satisfied with it to exist in an unfamiliar and unsatisfying new culture without time to adapt?

I have had a large number of outsiders that have moved into my area and outside of the music, I have noticed nothing different. I have noticed nothing that would make you think that they are any different from anyone else out here, and the only thing I have seen them remove, are trees on their property. I have had to adjust to the increase in activity, and on some days the music, otherwise, there has been no significant change.

I did not say dealing with change and adapting is a good thing or a bad thing, that, I guess, will be a personal choice. What I did say was a good thing, was the diversity that I have in my family, and I suggested that all of us are mixed with something and that as long as it was human, that it should be considered a good thing.

I don't see the take over activity they are trying to convince us all is happening, any place but on the internet. I may change how I feel if I ever see it to be a real problem. The only thing I see that has changed is that the new American way is becoming to believe and react as programmed by the media, and to fear everything and everybody.

I don't care for the new norm, so I have decided I will just become a archaic Luddite.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Normally it's something stupid enough to overlook, but when these anchors aren't being called out or even losing their jobs after the former president was just impeached by the House for saying "fight like hell" has dire consequences in the future if things don't change. Can't be racism according to those "making the rules" because it's against white people. That's how we've arrived at this point.

Because it works. We keep reading, listening, and pushing the tripe viral. We keep them in business and we keep falling for the nonsense.

Cut them off at the knees and see how quickly they change their ways. If it were not for ATS I would never know this garbage was out there, because I do not watch them, listen to them, or follow them. Outside of ATS, I gave up social media a while back, for the very reason you speak of.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Do people in Iran ever get to say, "That's anti Iranian!".

Or how about Turkey?

Or,,,, well I better just stop right there?

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Anti-war demonstrations in the sixties were, in their essence, cancel culture.

Yeah, I'm stretching it a bit--maybe, but many of us are using the term a bit too broadly, imho.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 06:50 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

That one's good, and I saw this one.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: seagull

Our wakeup call should be that France is taking steps to root out American ideological wokeness in their own universities calling it a unique danger to their own nation.

Do you happen to have any Links for this?

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Here's one. It's the Daily Mail, but I've seen it in other places too.

Politicians, prominent intellectuals, and academics in France have voiced concern that 'out-of-control leftism and cancel culture' from the United States is threatening French identity.

They are arguing that American ideas on race, gender, post-colonialism – especially those coming from U.S. universities – are undermining French society and are an attack on French heritage.

The collection of intellectuals arguing that France is being contaminated by the leftism of America was buoyed on last year after French President Emmanuel Macron appeared to side with them.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 02:03 AM
link   

You don't find it ironic that this thread is about cancel culture being bad and yet you and others are doing exactly that.

Which parts? Please, point them out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join