It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Cancel Culture anti-American?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Here's a Social Issue question for everyone:

If Cancel Culture is stifling Free Speech and Expression, is it anti-American?

To me, it seems to be a form of Dictatorship - one person decides that their target shouldn't be heard - it's definitely not Democratic in any way. It makes me think of the Thought Police in numerous Science Fiction stories. And I don't think that a single story ever makes the Thought Police the Good Guys.

What are your thoughts, if you're still allowed to give them to us?
edit on 23-2-2021 by CryHavoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

Its a test run for mass murder. Plenty of outlets and talking heads are openly encouraging white genocide.

I do ask though, Does a bear poop in the woods?

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Its not unique to the US ( read the wiki in full below ). Most telling is that it is a phenomena of the online/digital age.

I found the following interesting.
en.wikipedia.org...

Another historian, David Olusoga, similarly argued:

The great myth about cancel culture, however, is that it exists only on the left. For the past 40 years, rightwing newspapers have ceaselessly fought to delegitimise and ultimately cancel our national broadcaster [the BBC], motivated by financial as well as political ambitions.[37]

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 01:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

To me, it seems to be a form of Dictatorship - one person decides that their target shouldn't be heard - it's definitely not Democratic in any way.

Technically, a democracy itself is anti-American, because in a democracy, there are no individual rights. In a democracy, the majority can in fact tell everyone what to say -- or not to say.

In our Republic, even the smallest minority -- the individual -- has a right to freedom of speech, but no right to make anyone listen to them. And should (almost) never be silenced by government forces.

I think the problem is when mega corporations (Big Tech) are empowered and entitled by government to dominate both social and news media, and also to silence inconvenient news and speech. Including competing media.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 02:44 AM
link   
The “words hurt” and “I don’t like what you are saying” crowds are in control. See also - “everyone gets a trophy” and “no ability to debate” crowds.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Cancel culture is a defense mechanism for liberals since they can’t debate any of their stances. No worries though once they’ve cancelled everyone they disagree with the next step is bullets flying since nobody will be discussing things anymore. Plus liberals don’t like guns and want them banned, so you see where this is going.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc

To me, it seems to be a form of Dictatorship - one person decides that their target shouldn't be heard - it's definitely not Democratic in any way. It makes me think of the Thought Police in numerous Science Fiction stories. And I don't think that a single story ever makes the Thought Police the Good Guys.

What are your thoughts, if you're still allowed to give them to us?

Cancel culture is alive and well in America with a lot of idiots trying to wish away the results of a democratic election. Actually, it seems some people don't know what democratic means.

(post by uncommitted removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:33 AM
link   

I think it is profoundly and traditionally American.

'Cancel culture' is just another upsurge of a bad old aspect of American society: the Puritan impulse.

Back then, it was witch hunting. Now, it is the hunting of political opponents.

Welcome to the new USA -- straight out of 1692.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Cancel culture, by whatever name you call it, has been around for centuries.

Nor is it unique to the US.

Banning books. Pogroms launched against various religions. Wholesale murder of people for the "crime" of being "different".

It's wrong in virtually every form it takes. Where ever it shows itself.

So, yes, it's most definitively anti=American.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:54 AM
link   
The cancel culture goes against any society who cherish free speech and freedom of thought. It's basically against the basic pillars of liberal Western democracy.

It's not just anti-American.

The modern examples are essentially about bullying people so that they do not hold a contrary view to the bully. The amount of bile spilt by a few Trans lobbiests to close down debte is a case study in cancelling dissent.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Nor is it unique to the US.

Banning books. Pogroms launched against various religions. Wholesale murder of people for the "crime" of being "different".

It's wrong in virtually every form it takes. Where ever it shows itself.

So, yes, it's most definitively anti=American.

American or not American is missing the point, surely. It's a human condition that some people with strong beliefs won't accept the opinion of others who don't hold the same opinion. That's nothing to do with whatever country you were born in/live in.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 04:18 AM
link   

I don't think that it is against "America" as a country, but it is most certainly against the values that America was founded on.

There was a phrase that liberals used to use a lot "If you don't like it, don't watch it". They mostly used this in reference to television programs that contained sex or violence, and then later on LGTB content. They were literally saying that if something offended or upset you then you shouldn't engage with it. If you don't like that a program has gay kissing on it, then don't watch it.

These days, the ethos from liberals seems to be that if they don't like something then nobody can have it. They are trying to force their social standards onto every form of media, and they are trying to do it retrospectively. If a celebrity says something that upsets them, then they want all media involving this celebrity to be removed from public viewing forever.

Stop broadcasting their old movies, stop selling their old DVDs, stop streaming anything that they were ever involved with.

That goes against the very idea of freedom in America because it serves to stifle debate and discourse. People are too afraid to speak out not only because of the effects that it has on their future, but also because of the effects that it has on records of the past.

If you dare to speak out against their narrative then you don't even get a chance to defend yourself.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

True, but it's much worse now.

These days you can get into trouble for something that you said or did decades ago that was considered perfectly OK back then. Like wearing your hair in cornrows - when you were 11 - or expressing a view that was considered normal and mainstream when you said it. But liberals don't like today. There are lots of words for the LGBTQ community that the LGBTQ community used for itself, 10 years ago, which were normal but today are considered offensive.

I heard that Disney+ is putting up content warnings on the Muppets, THE MUPPETS.

10 years ago if a celebrity fell out of favor they'd not make any new movies. Today they're taking down their old movies as well.

The range of things that people get offended by is also so much greater.

There is was a big fuss over an Anime that's coming out soon where one of the characters is described as being "dark skinned", they're Japanese and they have a suntan so they are literally dark skinned. But liberals are up in arms over it because they are equating it to black face, despite the character clearly being a suntanned Asian and nothing more.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

The range of things that people get offended by is also so much greater.

It almost seems to be growing exponentially.... getting worse and worse and worse every day.

As if people are actively looking for new things to bitch and cry about... just because.

Can it be stopped? idk

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 05:21 AM
link   

No. It's a global problem, seeded by global media.

Maybe the old wisdom of 'Whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make mad" should be extended to include something around "then they strike them dumb".

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 05:28 AM
link   
No, Cancel Culture is indeed American.

Censorship is definitely American.

Rigged elections... American.

Open borders: American.

Laws without legislation: certainly American.

Now, if one were to ask, are these things that would have been considered American 50, 40, 30, 20 years ago? On, hell no! They were the antithesis of American. But, we are not living 50, 40, 30, 20 years ago. We are living now. Now, today, all those things are as American as apple pie once was thought to be.

Times change.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 06:26 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I don't know man. From my observation it was/is a globalist experimentation on western societies. I saw some of these orwellian ideas start here and travel across the pond to some of them start over there and come here. IMO it was a well crafted experiment into the deep abyss of chaos reinforced by social media/msm.

Either way, seems to be a new way to start a color revolution to break down and enslave people of developed nations that was implanted into the minds of fools at our own institutions of higher learning that was implemented as seeds decades ago.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Oh, just because these traits represent the new America, it does not mean they cannot (or do not) represent other societies as well. They certainly can be attributable to many other nations. Saudi Arabia, Iran, Syria, China, Venezuela all come to mind.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join