It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Cancel Culture anti-American?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2
Back then, it was witch hunting. Now, it is the hunting of political opponents.

Welcome to the new USA -- straight out of 1692.

Whitey has been purged from the leadership ranks of the DoD. It'll start soon. Camel's-butt is just the Sociopath they needed to give her nod.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Cancel culture is anti everything that doesn't fit their programming. Ever see a BLM supporter react to the statement All Lives Matter ? You're suddenly a racist for thinking that everyone's life is valuable, despite their skin color.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Our wakeup call should be that France is taking steps to root out American ideological wokeness in their own universities calling it a unique danger to their own nation.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:16 AM
link   
To be blunt European, colonialism of the 15th-20th century was a combination of both good and bad things for the occupied and or conquered. That being said, trying to correct the plethora of mistakes made over the last 600 years is problematic at best. History should be left as it occurred complete with all our mistakes and racial problications so that we learn from our mistakes not to remodel society to fit someone’s butthurt agenda removing or redefining them. The elimination of various Indian names in sports is one example. Why not just change them to one of many local tribes in the area. The tribes themselves even had their own problems and in some cases genocides against other tribes. So someone will be hurt over that. There is no easy answer but erasing history is the best way fro humans to repeat our social and ethical mistakes.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CryHavoc

I think that social media and MSM, has blinded us to what is. We are social creatures that respond easily to the visual.

Every generation has pushed the buttons of the generation before, and if the hippie generation doesn't show us how fickle that stage of grabbing our independence and smelling our piss can be, then we have not learned much.

Cancel culture is the trend for this generation, and it carries about as much weight as you are willing to give it. If this whole thing is about rights, independence, and individuality, why are so many acting like lemmings?

I hear and see the bullcrap that is posting all over the internet, and I recognize it for what it is, therefore I reject it, and I do not make it part of me. Maybe it would be different if I lived in an area were it was being pushed down my throat, but right now, I can still choose to cancel out cancel culture.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: LeoStarchild

How are people encouraging "white genocide"? And I don't think cancel culture is race specific.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
a reply to: LeoStarchild

How are people encouraging "white genocide"? And I don't think cancel culture is race specific.

Anything they don't like and think is bad is labeled as an aspect of whiteness to be removed or canceled.

Lest we forget, all of these general things are labeled as aspects of "whiteness" whatever that is.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Pretty silly as that list can apply to all races depending on who the person is.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   

When I step back and look at the forest, it takes little effort to shift my vision and see the individual trees that make the forest seem so large.

Just because someone posts some ridiculous nonsense on the net, doesn't make it valid, nor is it actually true, and we don't have to believe it or go along with it.

The only reason why this garbage travels is because we accept it and we transport it. I try to avoid giving nonsense traction. If it is garbage then I but it where in belongs, in the trash. The only thing I feel is annoyance, for having it waste my time.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Pretty silly as that list can apply to all races depending on who the person is.

Oh it is, and I think I said as much, but note that it's labeled "Aspects & Assumptions of Whiteness and White Culture". Like I said, anything they don't like is labeled as "white" or "white oppressive" etc. in an effort to get it thought of as bad or wrong or shameful.

All those things are things we need to either excuse in people who aren't white or they are things we need to stop doing.

The irony is they are also hallmarks of success in *any* person of *any* culture worldwide.

So the Smithsonian graphic is telling us that things that make us successful as individuals in a society are bad, shameful, wrong - white oppressive, etc.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

So the Smithsonian Institution is "someone posting some ridiculous garbage"? That's the source for this graphic.

Ordinarily I'd agree with you, but the Smithsonian is supposed to be above all that and they are paid for by taxpayer dollars and a respected scientific/museum institution.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Cancel Culture is a cancerous clique to a free society. CC enjoys all the privileges of being able to speak without fear of reprisal, but once it gets enough influence it punishes other points of view.

edit on 23-2-2021 by Teikiatsu because: grammar

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:43 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 07:47 AM
link   
One theory I read is more degrees in liberal arts have nowhere to go with their doctorate programs so they make up dissertations. These papers could easily be rejected as having little to no rational standing but it is allowed to pass the smell test otherwise liberal departments will stagnate without fresh ideas and grant money. Critical race theory, cancel culture, and the despising of whites which is an A plus on black campuses.

Can't get away with this stuff in medicine, engineering. Only in liberal arts.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:05 AM
link   

It was written by a person. A person that has an opinion, and in this case I don't agree with them.

It is not the first time the Smithsonian has posted nonsense. The Smithsonian even once held displays of Africans as animals, so it is not always the bastion of truth and intelligence that it wants to make us believe it is.

Yes it is about the money, and I guess it is a personal choice if you respect it or not. Personally, I don't trust it anymore than I trust any other government funded or run institution.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

I think it is profoundly and traditionally American.

'Cancel culture' is just another upsurge of a bad old aspect of American society: the Puritan impulse.

Back then, it was witch hunting. Now, it is the hunting of political opponents.

Welcome to the new USA -- straight out of 1692.

Cheers

Since America became a country in 1776, wouldn’t the witch hunting be a British tradition?

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: seagull

Our wakeup call should be that France is taking steps to root out American ideological wokeness in their own universities calling it a unique danger to their own nation.

Don't kid yourself. Macron is desperate to win the next election thus walking back every SJW cause he has supported. I hardly see him aligning with the likes of Poland and Hungary against the wishes of his EU overlords.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:42 AM
link   

People have the right not to like what they see, but they don't have the right to remove it or cancel it out. At least they shouldn't have that right. Our rights don't end where theirs begin. If they don't like statues or school names then they should avoid or get over it as everyone has done for decades. All the cancel culture does is drive the divide more and more. It goes against the Constitution and I don't care how many times someone claims freedom of expression isn't freedom of speech. It is, and since the names, statues, songs, etc aren't physically harming anyone then it's anti-American to cancel them out. Same thing for singers like, the most recent, Morgan Wallen (or however it's spelled). After he was canceled, his record sales went up 104% because people are sick of everything getting canceled out.

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
Cancel culture is a defense mechanism for liberals since they can’t debate any of their stances. No worries though once they’ve cancelled everyone they disagree with the next step is bullets flying since nobody will be discussing things anymore. Plus liberals don’t like guns and want them banned, so you see where this is going.

Here's your typical liberal debate

posted on Feb, 23 2021 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Its not unique to the US ( read the wiki in full below ). Most telling is that it is a phenomena of the online/digital age.

I found the following interesting.
en.wikipedia.org...

Another historian, David Olusoga, similarly argued:

The great myth about cancel culture, however, is that it exists only on the left. For the past 40 years, rightwing newspapers have ceaselessly fought to delegitimise and ultimately cancel our national broadcaster [the BBC], motivated by financial as well as political ambitions.[37]

The problem is that people who haven't read your post won't even know that, and the BBC hasn't been canceled. Many other things, pushed by left wing media, have been canceled. It's not anti-American to want something canceled, it's anti-American to have something canceled. The left also canceled black voices and opinions and thought until the 60's when the right stepped in and pushed the left back.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join