It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yelp has gone woke for BLM

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   
klowns, komplainers, and kancelers assemble! Be sure to use Yelp's new feature that lets you rage from the safety and convenience of your app.

That's right, now you can check to see which businesses are being canceled for their racism, racist staff, racist products, and racist non-black owners. This isn't divisive, unethical, and disgusting, right? Surely this feature will be used responsibly instead of to falsely damage and defame businesses.

Yelp will display warnings if restaurants and other businesses are associated with racist conduct, the review platform announced on its blog.

The change comes amid ongoing protests and bolstered advocacy against racism, anti-Blackness, and police brutality, sparked in part by the killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and other Black people this year.

According to the company, between May 26 and September 30, it flagged more than 450 businesses that were accused of, or the target of, racist behavior related to the Black Lives Matter movement.

www.eater.com...

Remember this person who threw a major tantrum because she's dumb? Now if someone doesn't have the courage to act out their stupidity in public, they can flag a business for being racist on Yelp. Easy and Progressive!

Anyone else find it ironic that Yelp is supporting BLM when BLM goes around to outdoor cafes throwing drinks and food terrorizing patrons? Anyways be sure to show some love to your local canceled businesses and restaurants because Yelp sure isn't.

edit on 9-10-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
Does anyone even trust Yelp? I've travelled a lot around the USA for work, and I've used it to find nearby family restaurants. However I always interpret the reviews to be the opposite of what they are as many people are usually wrong or reviews can be padded and faked.

It's my go to when I travel which I did weekly until the 'Rona, however I usually look at the negative reviews at establishments I'm thinking of patronizing to see if those reviews are legit. If all of them say the place is dirty I trust that but if some bobo says they wouldn't get them a slice of pizza in a sushi joint then I discount them.

+3 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

THIS is exactly why I canned my Yelp listing.

I spent about 50 hours disputing fake lying reviews. Only to be lied to over and over.

I rebranded my company during the pandemic. Did not start a Yelp listing. And I previously had 4 stars....

The typical Yelp reviewer wants something for nothing.

Yelp is and has always been, a small business killer. Leaving ALL the power in the consumers hand.

If you want real reviews — use TripAdvisor.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Once again. STOP using the real life name Karen!

It is racist because it refers to white women, if women of other color are involved, people usually write "black Karen" or "asian Karen"

It is sexist as it demeans women and is clearly meant to demean and be sexist derogatory toward women specifically, because they are women.

There are real people in the world named Karen. One was spit on by a stranger who overheard her friend call her Karen. Others have been treated horribly by service people upon hearing their name. By using a real name you are hurting real people.

You can say "bitch" instead and it gets the sexist message you are sending across without hurting real innocent people.

You could say "overly entitled" and not be racist or sexist.

Using a real name of real people you are purposely harming them for your own entertainment. Shame on you.

It is not funny, it is harmful, mean, racist, sexist, and hurts real people who just might be very nice people.

I know a Grandmother Karen who goes out of her way to be nice to strangers, compliments workers to managers, and if someone is rude says they must be having a bad day - and by using her name you have labeled her rude, mean, bitchy, and a complainer. Shame, Shame, Shame on you!!!

edit on 10/9/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I think this will backfire on Yelp.
It's a great way to identify businesses that don't cowtow to Critical Race Theory or the political correctness of the insurgency.
Why not support businesses that "Just Say No" to the cancel culture?
If math is racist, Trump is racist, white people are all racist - why not use the new feature to patronize places you'll feel more comfortable (and not have to worry about an inflated racist bill with math errors).

ganjoa
/sarc off?

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Wait, did that chick call a brother a Coon??????

Dayum, no way that was a white chick then....thus not a Karen...that was a Shaniqua.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
Did not start a Yelp listing.

Anyone can enter your business on Yelp, I've done it plenty of times when I found a place that wasn't listed.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: The2Billies

Listen, I hear your grievance and I'm not opposed. I admire your posts, and your thinking on this is practical and reasonable.

I'm not sure ATS will let me put 'bitches' in my title.

I dunno maybe I can say Komplainers instead. I'll work on that.

But it's 2020 and meme culture is here to stay. I can change my title and text but I can't change what is already part of the slang of our times and social media culture.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Yeah, and she got slammed on Twitter for her ridiculous antics to the point she had to set her account to private, meaning that the majority of people don't act this way or condone this type of behavior.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Dayum, no way that was a white chick then....thus not a Karen...that was a Shaniqua.

Isn’t that the point. They can call each other every terrible name in the book. That means nothing to them.

Just like modern African American music. At least 80% of the songs say the N-word at least 20 times in their 3 minute long duration.

But if a business is simply not black owned, they are screwed.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Thanks for the nice reply.

This is my personal crusade because of the really nice Karen that I am close to.

She has had people cringe at the sound of her name. I fight this all over social media and will continue to do so until the meme dies.

edit on 10/9/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I agree Yelp seemed to be people wanting free stuff to write a glowing review. We fought it for a couple of years then changed our address for other reasons but kept the wrong address live just to suck up the trash reviews and ignore them.

Some people don't understand marketing for your business is a very full time job. To get the word out and protect it.

edit on 9-10-2020 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I eaquate the K word equal to the N word. Please stop being a racist by using the term. Why not act in an educated fashion by referring to folks as their race if absolutely necessary to call out someone's race. Your being part of the problem.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yeah, but its kinda funny to watch.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
We're offended by the name but not the racist acts!

Woot Woot.go America 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Did not start a Yelp listing.

Anyone can enter your business on Yelp, I've done it plenty of times when I found a place that wasn't listed.

Which is a massive problem. Why should a business be forced to use a terrible platform, that mainly supports liars.

I’m not calling you a liar. Many of the users are, though.

Do you know how many people I caught that had NEVER written a positive review. Only used it as a negative platform to bash businesses — with the hope of ‘something for nothing’. They use it as leverage. ‘Give me something for free — and I’ll remove my bad review’....

I can tell you that if someone starts a Yelp listing for my business, I’ll personally do a write up in the owners section condemning the Sh!t out of Yelp and anything anyone says on there.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I am pretty sure Yelp has just opened itself up to some pretty ugly lawsuits. And they will probably be ones they will lose with some crushing financial loses.

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   
At least she/zir was an equal oportuniry racist by adding in yellow peeps. Asians need to get in on this fight as well.

Now to check out some Samoan owned places.....

a reply to: KKLOCO

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: The2Billies
Thanks for the nice reply.

This is my personal crusade because of the really nice Karen that I am close to.

She has had people cringe at the sound of her name. I fight this all over social media and will continue to do so until the meme dies.

Okay I've changed my title and text, but I'm not sure that helped because now I have a k-k-k alliteration in my opening line.

We really need to work on this..

posted on Oct, 9 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Which is a massive problem. Why should a business be forced to use a terrible platform, that mainly supports liars.

Technically you aren't forced to use it, you don't have to claim the business. Also, many of my friends that do have businesses have had unsubstantiated negative reviews removed from the platform.

If you're going to have an issue with Yelp in this fashion then I think you better look at Google, Facebook and FourSquare too.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join