It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Distancing and Unintended Consequences

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: chr0naut

I'm awful lively for someone who may already have had it, so you tell me which is preferable right now.

In the US, the 2.73% of those who contract the virus, die from its complications.

Just because someone may have survived crossing a busy road once, doesn't mean that it is wise for everyone run out into traffic.

So far. It will end up about 10% for those who end up showing symptoms. Italy has 15,000 deaths and 20,000 recovered. So basically it is running about 40% there.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GravitySucks

Meeting all the needs of millions upon millions of people, all with varying degrees of physical and mental limitations and personal situations, isn't an easy thing to cater to. Is there inconvenience, particularly for those with underlying conditions and unique circumstances?

It's impossible. And we are not just talking inconvenience. We are talking about life and limb... and death.

However, people with good intentions are trying to figure out how to best keep things running as efficiently as possible for as many as possible in these unique and trying times.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The only fair and just option is to empower and enable everyone to take care of themselves and each other to the absolute best of their own abilities. To use their own resources and talents first and foremost, relying on others -- and especially government -- as a LAST resort, not the first or only. People know their needs and their resources much better than a central government.

There is strength in numbers. United we stand or divided we fall.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I think that we all need to consider the long term unintended consequences as well.

How will society change if wearing a mask becomes normal?

How will people approach shopping if shortages are the norm?

When will you go to the doctor if hospitals are a source of covid19?

Will your status now be determined by the kind of mask you wear?

Will people flock to the country to get away from the cities? I live in the country and don't want you coming to my area

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I do my best to help people like you. I work at Walmart full-time, so I'm basically like the little monkey on Outbreak right now, and am not afraid to go to other stores. My grandparents have been shacked up for a few weeks now, so they call me with their needs and I pick their stuff up for them. Same with my mother, but she still goes out on her own from time to time. Friend's grandparents/parents, whoever needs me. Unfortunately, 3 of the people I directly supervise are now sick and quarantined, so my day is probably coming and I can help no longer.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Social Distancing and Unintended Consequences

Coronavirus: Tekashi 6ix9ine leaves prison early because of asthma fears

As if there are not enough problems in the world already, theres a consequence from Covid that the world is not ready for more music from him no doubt.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Social distancing isn't hard for network admins. We're ok with extended periods of isolation and minimal human interaction... at least the face to face kind. Personally I prefer it that way.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   

If I have mild symptoms, odds are, I'm not going to the doctor right now.

1. If I have it, I don't want to expose anyone else.

2. If I don't, I don't want to be exposed to someone who does.

By the time my symptoms force me there, I may require hospitalization meaning if they do test me, they're getting a sample of the worst part of the illness, not any of the rest.

Without aggressive, broad testing, no one actually has any idea of the true numbers anywhere, and the only countries that have aggressive, broad testing are displaying a death toll of less than 1%, more like 0.7% at the highest. BUt we completely ignore them all the time in this discussion.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   
In the US theu are calling up former troops !
Trump signs order authorizing Pentagon to call up former troops to help with coronavirus fight
"President Trump on Friday signed an executive order authorizing the Pentagon to bring back former troops, including members of the National Guard and Ready Reserve eserve members, to active duty as part of the ongoing response to the coronavirus crisis."

sound more like geting ready for a war?

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

I think there's some other gears turning behind the scenes. It could be for martial law enforcement, or it could have something to do with plans to send troops into Venezuela. New York already has about 1500 guardsman active... I think California and several other states made smaller activations as well.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   

If I have mild symptoms, odds are, I'm not going to the doctor right now.

1. If I have it, I don't want to expose anyone else.

2. If I don't, I don't want to be exposed to someone who does.

By the time my symptoms force me there, I may require hospitalization meaning if they do test me, they're getting a sample of the worst part of the illness, not any of the rest.

Without aggressive, broad testing, no one actually has any idea of the true numbers anywhere, and the only countries that have aggressive, broad testing are displaying a death toll of less than 1%, more like 0.7% at the highest. BUt we completely ignore them all the time in this discussion.

There are also issues of the effectiveness of tests, with many now identified false negatives. The thing is, these are the best figures we have to work with.

In the cases of Italy and Spain, that are now past the worst of exponential growth in infections, the percentage of deaths is double digit.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:13 AM
link   

(post by chr0naut removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Every place is different.

Just like in the US, not every place is NYC, but we're all being treated as if we are. I know they want us all to live that way because it's "sustainable" and "green", but in this case, it's also far less healthy.

I come into far less contact with people out in my suburban small family home driving my personal vehicle than I do in my small highly urban apartment sharing elevators and air systems without space to store more a day or two of food so I have to constantly go out into the halls and pass by neighbors, touch all the same public surfaces they do, breathe their air, get in the elevator with them, walk crowded walkways with everyone else in the same boat and ride packed mass transit touching all those public surfaces.

For a virus like this one, that's mecca.

My life? Even with a weekly shopping trip for fresh produce and bread and some meat, it's far more difficult for it.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   

That's believing their figures. You cant because they lie.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Every place is different.

Just like in the US, not every place is NYC, but we're all being treated as if we are. I know they want us all to live that way because it's "sustainable" and "green", but in this case, it's also far less healthy.

I come into far less contact with people out in my suburban small family home driving my personal vehicle than I do in my small highly urban apartment sharing elevators and air systems without space to store more a day or two of food so I have to constantly go out into the halls and pass by neighbors, touch all the same public surfaces they do, breathe their air, get in the elevator with them, walk crowded walkways with everyone else in the same boat and ride packed mass transit touching all those public surfaces.

For a virus like this one, that's mecca.

My life? Even with a weekly shopping trip for fresh produce and bread and some meat, it's far more difficult for it.

Take a look at some heatmaps of the virus cases. Some fairly low populated and isolated areas are still showing clusters.

Humans are gregarious. Few of us can live in true isolation.

Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University (JHU)

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Oh dear lord ... husband is about to go out with an old, stained dish towel and two rubber bands for a "face mask" just in case he has to have one.

He looks like an alien out of Star Wars, but the surgeon general made an instructional video teaching people last night just in case they don't have face coverings which we don't because he felt they wear stupid given the situation. They don't protect you from it. At most, they keep you from coughing and sneezing on someone else, but if you're sick, you aren't going anywhere.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:27 AM
link   

And how many of those are in senior living communities?

I know quite a few of them are, and then the staff gets it. A senior living community has the same conditions as NYC on the small.

Of course, you act like this is a zero sum game, and it's not. There is a big difference between a cluster of infection and NYC or even St. Louis too.
edit on 5-4-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

That's believing their figures. You cant because they lie.

What about all the other countries?

You can pretend it is all lies, but that is denying the overall picture of scientific and medical data from thousands of researchers across the planet.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: ketsuko

An anecdote.

If any rednecks I know go to a big box hardware store, its essential.

LMAO.

I was trying to explain that to the wife the other day.

posted on Apr, 5 2020 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Oh dear lord ... husband is about to go out with an old, stained dish towel and two rubber bands for a "face mask" just in case he has to have one.

He looks like an alien out of Star Wars, but the surgeon general made an instructional video teaching people last night just in case they don't have face coverings which we don't because he felt they wear stupid given the situation. They don't protect you from it. At most, they keep you from coughing and sneezing on someone else, but if you're sick, you aren't going anywhere.

You can only do what you can do.

It's all a numbers game. You usually only get infected through repeated exposures.

Anything that might potentially reduce infections, even by tiny amounts, needs to be brought to the fight.

Looking silly wearing a homemade mask is a little inconvenience if it could help save lives.

I'd probably look less silly with my face half covered. LOL.

edit on 5/4/2020 by chr0naut because: To mods, sorry, I didn't realize that you took exception to my comments. I'll stop.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join