It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Distancing and Unintended Consequences

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

An anecdote.

If any rednecks I know go to a big box hardware store, its essential.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I was commenting on ours here with that. I'm just saying that in these times, anything a person does to keep their mind in a positive frame is essential.

We all need our hobbies and projects right now more than ever.

I just got done ordering the guts to a new computer myself ... gamers gotta game and my hardware needs updating.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: edaced4

Just because he said it wasn't anything major doesn't mean it wasn't critical to anything he planned to accomplish. No offense, but it's not up to you to determine. As an example, we needed new wiper blades on the car. They weren't anything major, but certainly critical to optimal safe operation of the car on MI's many rainy days right now, and wiser to replace them before they shredded off like they did the last time winter ate them.
You don't get to decide if they were "essential" for us or not. I have two words for you if you do, and T & C says I can't go there.

edit on 4/4/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Exactly, day to day life requires any one of a thousand and three minor items that are "nothing major" but also irreplaceable once you need them.

Try maintaining oral hygiene for long without a toothbrush, but that's nothing major.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I certainly understand. Glad the local hardware has remained open.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And who are you to decide what is or is not "essential" to a person?

One person's non-essential goods may be lifesavers in the proper context when that puttering around project reduces stress that might otherwise get vented in the form of domestic violence or drinking or even a suicide.

You don't know other people or their circumstances to know what is or is not essential to them or their needs. A person's mental health is pretty damn essential I'd say.

It's a catch-22. That person's "lifesavers in the proper context" could mean my demise. I have to take that chance, and I do every day. I don't have to like it though. I am on the "front line" every day. Mental health issues aside, essential things are just that: essential.

Things that you NEED to survive.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Then why is McDonald's open?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Exactly, day to day life requires any one of a thousand and three minor items that are "nothing major" but also irreplaceable once you need them.

Try maintaining oral hygiene for long without a toothbrush, but that's nothing major.

I had to go buy a caulk gun and tube of tub & tile the next day. Our lovely little Siamese kittens managed to get the loose end of the caulking around the tub overnight, and ripped a sizable chunk out. THAT needs fixing, not waiting. And since MY kittens did it, I am of the firm belief that I'm responsible for fixing it, not the rental company. I'm not putting up with water damage in the bathroom to cater to some employee's whining about what's essential or not. If the employee doesn't like the goods being purchased, they can always find employment elsewhere, like delivering. I'm sure they'd bitch about someone's purchases in the bags, too, though.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:57 PM
link   

"mental health issues aside" Of course............

And hey, we all take our demise into our hands everyday, dont feel like a hero for doing so.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: chr0naut

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Arent you glad you don't live in China, where they drag people out of their homes that test positive, before throwing them into a box on a truck, and weld the rest of your family into their apartment? You lucky duck!

Did they actually do that in China? Please provide a credible supportive link.

Were you also aware that China is in the process of lifting the restrictions?

Hubei lifts restrictions as China reports no new domestic COVID-19 cases - CNA

Have quick look at the current Chinese figures regarding the spread, and the deaths due to COVID-19, in comparison to the US figures.

The deaths due to the virus and the number of infections in the US continue to skyrocket. China has brought them almost to a stop. In terms of actual and practical response, China fares better than the US, which is now the absolute worst on the planet for the spread of the virus.

Im surprised you havnt see the clips of families welded into their homes, and people being dragged through the streets and put in a box on a truck. Where have you been?

Well, for one, I tend to ignore what is on social media because there is no constraint on it to tell the truth. So, most of it is utter BS.

Even if the video's were true, those people are free now.

There have already been double the deaths due to COVID-19 in the US than in China.

Which is preferable to you, some home detention (because the virus situation isn't a permanent one), or death?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I'm awful lively for someone who may already have had it, so you tell me which is preferable right now.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Just because he said it wasn't anything major doesn't mean it wasn't critical to anything he planned to accomplish. No offense, but it's not up to you to determine. As an example, we needed new wiper blades on the car. They weren't anything major, but certainly critical to optimal safe operation of the car on MI's many rainy days right now, and wiser to replace them before they shredded off like they did the last time winter ate them.
You don't get to decide if they were "essential" for us or not. I have two words for you if you do, and T & C says I can't go there.

This is for Ketsoku too...

I know. And I do aplogize. I'm not trying to downplay anyone's needs. It's just so frustrating sometimes. The past couple of weeks have been crazy stressfull for me. I'm not use to this much business in this little tiny store.

I understand that one person's "essentials" may not be mine...

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   

I have a husband who is in the essential work force.

He goes and gets the things we need when we need them, and it's not for you to tell us what those are. We will judge the risks for ourselves and take them as we see fit.

We're living in an area that barely had 25 cases in it and is suburban. Those numbers will likely have changed by Monday, but we refuse to live in fear. None of that means we're being stupid, but we're not living on stored beans and rice at the moment either.

edit on 4-4-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Then why is McDonald's open?

Cause peeps need to get they double big mac on!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   

It's not essential to life and even the argument as food is not in their favor.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Sort of like KFC's "gravy" is more like an emulsion of liquid fat liberally spiked with salt. There's not really any "food" there.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Beer, wine and liquor aren't essential either, but try telling the bulk of the country that AND the people selling it. They'd strongly disagree.

Especially in our state, man. Threaten a Michigander's beer supply, and it's on like Donkey Kong.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I'm awful lively for someone who may already have had it, so you tell me which is preferable right now.

In the US, the 2.73% of those who contract the virus, die from its complications.

Just because someone may have survived crossing a busy road once, doesn't mean that it is wise for everyone run out into traffic.

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   

What percent have been tested? What percent have been infected?

Do you think that 2.73 percent number is accurate given the margin of error with missing numbers?

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Close a meijer or Walmart.....I triple dog dare you!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join