It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 3

page: 187
<< 184  185  186    188  189  190 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: GlobalGold
Here we go again.... Pick a Number, any number!

The government of Hubei province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, on Friday banned the practice of reducing the number of already confirmed cases.

It also mandated that all previously counted cases stand as part of the total confirmed tally.

Tu Yuanchao, deputy director of Hubei Health Committee, said at a press conference that all the cases that were confirmed but then retroactively dismissed because they no longer fitted reporting requirements would be added back to the total tally.

On Thursday -- based on China's National Health Commission’s narrowed criteria for confirmed tally to only include laboratory-confirmed cases -- Hubei authorities said they'd no longer count so-called “clinically diagnosed patients,” who are people exhibiting symptoms without testing positive for the virus. This caused Hubei’s total confirmed cases to drop by 279 on Thursday alone.

"These adjustments in numbers have attracted huge public attention, caused some doubts about the data," Tu said during the press conference.

"As a result, Ying Yong, secretary of the provincial Party committee, attached great importance to this issue. He explicitly ordered that no subtraction be allowed for already-confirmed cases and all subtractions be added back."

via CNN
I suspect this has something to do with Spartan's reports that everytime they send folk back to work there are more outbreaks and so clearly the number is higher.

I have a question on 'face' tho; does it not matter to look like you are lying only that you are saying something 'good' at the time?

Completely unrelated but when I was in China years ago I remember asking for directions and people would give me clear and convincing directions. But after circling on foot for an hour I realised that in fact they had no idea where the place I was looking for was but presumably would have lost face by saying so. Or they just thought it hilarious to send a foreigner on a wild goose chase? I'm genuinely interested in this and hope it doesn't come across as racist. I will edit if it does.
edit on 2/21/2020 by checkmeout because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:10 AM
link   
With migrant workers set to return to Beijing in droves after the coronavirus-related extension of the Lunar New Year holiday, officials are clearly worried about the prospect that the returnees could bring the infection.

A new rule stipulates that all people entering Beijing must quarantine themselves at home for 14 days before going out in the city. Now, two hospitals are monitoring hundreds of people for potential infection after a sudden spike in cases.

Fuxing Hospital in the Xicheng district, and only a block away from an apartment complex known as home to many senior government officials, is now under a total lockdown. It reported 36 novel coronavirus cases Thursday, with eight medical workers and nine cleaning staff infected, as well as 19 patients or their relatives. A total of 668 people who had been in contact with the infected patients were placed under observation. Six security officers, some of them in People’s Liberation Army-style coats and surgical face masks, came out to stop two Washington Post reporters from approaching. Three patients at nearby Peking University People’s Hospital in Beijing have been confirmed as infected with coronavirus. A total of 164 people who had close contact with them, including medical staff who treated them, are now under observation. Medical workers in full protective gear were guarding the gate on Friday, where a sign read that all visitors were banned."

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: checkmeout
This virus is moving so fast I can't keep up!!

2 more confirmed in Italy today including 1 in ICU in his 30s. No travel to China.

13 new cases in Iran including 2 new deaths.

Hundreds in S Korea.

And 1 case in California (already mentioned in this thread), no travel with that one that I could see.

Pandemic yet? WHO knows.

Source BNO news.

Does anyone have a link to the earlier post about what supplies we would need for a month? I've got some things but am sure I'm not prepped fully. I have a small inner city place so no real storage but don't want to be caught short if food does run low

Someone will probably come along. If shopping, I'd advise to do very early the morning or late in the evening, hopefully you have 24 hours stores. If pandemic hits, unlikely the stores will remain 24 hours.
Think all type of can food, water, sardines should be a must, flour, yeast, butter, candy, alcohol, candles, snacks low in salt, have all the seasonings, frozen vegetables. More people will add to this list. We don't have weapons here. So I don't know about that part.

Get your miso paste ....quickly...love That stuff, with my home grown chalottes....(spring onions) in case you got weirded out.
miso soup got it

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Hopefully this works

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Just in 639 people have been infected in Japan, that includes the ship passengers also. HIV drugs was used on the ship passengers 204 cases now in south Korea
edit on 0200000018262020-02-21T06:26:18-06:00261802am6 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Bno just tweeted this

Iran's health ministry says 'it is possible' coronavirus exists in all Iranian cities; there are currently 18 confirmed cases, 4 dead - Reuters

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:25 AM
link   
BREAKING: Lebanon reports 1st case of coronavirus

They see me rollin' they hatin'

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Furryhobnob
Hopefully this works

Where are you located again?

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: checkmeout

The directions thing was about not losing face. It’s not racist either. It’s happened to me a few times. Wife is Chinese and it happens to her.

Its an important and outdated concept in Chinese culture. Fortunately because the generation gap is only 3 years in China it’s slowly improving as younger people embrace a more western value set thanks to Hollywood. This is why the US had to sue China in WTO to remove the 15 foreign movie cap for theatrical releases. Now I think it’s only 22 per year.

Make no mistake, the CCP loves face because it gives them “a legitimate reason” for lying their asses off all the time. Fortunately it appears it is backfiring and I see videos and posts on WeChat often challenging the CCP’s legitimacy. I still think it’s a big road to climb for the Chinese people to overthrow the party because they lack the willpower for sustained conflict and weapons.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ragiusnotiel
I'm in the UK, that's at Watford general hospital which is North West of London.

edit on February000000Fri, 21 Feb 2020 06:36:28 -0600Fri, 21 Feb 2020 06:36:28 -060020062020b22020 by Furryhobnob because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Ok, maybe not pangolins.

www.virology.ws...

The genome sequences of CoVs recently isolated from pangolins are not close enough to SARS-CoV-2 to have been its immediate progenitor. However, the RBD (receptor binding domain) of these pangolin CoVs are identical to that of SARS-CoV-2 at 6 of 6 of the key amino acids discussed above.

This observation indicates that passage of CoV in a host with human-like ACE2 could select for a RBD with high-affinity binding. Such passage could also select for insertion of the furin cleavage site, which is not present in pangolin CoVs.

Once a virus with the appropriate RBD and furin cleavage site arose in an animal – a bat or intermediate host – it would then replicate once introduced into humans.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Furryhobnob

Thank you!

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry

originally posted by: angelchemuel

originally posted by: SailorJerry

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind

originally posted by: Rich Z

originally posted by: JSpader

originally posted by: Kenzo
a reply to: AngelsDecay

Here`s more :

Coronavirus Patients in China to be Treated with High-Dose Vitamin C

Vitamin C Infusion for the Treatment of Severe 2019-nCoV Infected Pneumonia

Lucky me. Since part 1, I have been loading up on Vit C (500mg to 1000) a day.

I thought I read somewhere that ALL Vitamin C supplements are made in China, and have been for a while now. So I wonder how long the supply will hold out?

I just checked the label on my bottle of GNC Vitamin C Crystals and it says it's "Made in the USA."

Yeah but most of those materials come from china, a lot of things are MADE/put together in the USA, but most of the components come from China

96% of our medicine comes from china, and almost all of our antibiotics

Do you have a link that would verify your claim please?
Rainbows
Jane

Sorry my numbers were a bit off, but still

The U.S. depends on China for thousands of chemicals needed to make prescription drugs; in fact, we depend on China for 80 percent of the core components to make our generic medicines. And today, generics represent some 90 percent of all prescriptions dispensed here in the U.S

Generic drugs account for 90 percent of prescriptions filled in the United States. Already, generic versions of high blood pressure meds, anti-depressants, and cancer treatments, including chemotherapy, can be traced back to China. Today, India is the leader in generic drug manufacturing but China provides India with 80 percent of its raw ingredients, according to estimates.

Link

To be fair its a 10 second google search

I don’t consider vitamin C a drug. Am I missing something.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Activity in Italy (south of Milan) over last 24 hrs.

ALL citizens advised to stay at home, not just those who have symptoms.

Population circa 15,000 (from one of the tweets, not verified).

www.reuters.com...

twitter.com...

milano.repubblica.it... 1582286654000

edit on 21 2 2020 by Speedmats because: Links work now.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: checkmeout
This virus is moving so fast I can't keep up!!

2 more confirmed in Italy today including 1 in ICU in his 30s. No travel to China.

13 new cases in Iran including 2 new deaths.

Hundreds in S Korea.

And 1 case in California (already mentioned in this thread), no travel with that one that I could see.

Pandemic yet? WHO knows.

Source BNO news.

Does anyone have a link to the earlier post about what supplies we would need for a month? I've got some things but am sure I'm not prepped fully. I have a small inner city place so no real storage but don't want to be caught short if food does run low

Not sure which post you mean but I read some tips recently about storing preps in small places and inner city flats etc.
For extra storage space
- remove the bath panel if you can and store tins under there
- same with any kitchen kickboards - if you can remove these and you could potentially fit loads under there - i'd recommend only tins and well packaged stuff
I thought these places were really clever and also not somewhere that people would think of

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic
a reply to: checkmeout

The directions thing was about not losing face. It’s not racist either. It’s happened to me a few times. Wife is Chinese and it happens to her.

Its an important and outdated concept in Chinese culture. Fortunately because the generation gap is only 3 years in China it’s slowly improving as younger people embrace a more western value set thanks to Hollywood. This is why the US had to sue China in WTO to remove the 15 foreign movie cap for theatrical releases. Now I think it’s only 22 per year.

Make no mistake, the CCP loves face because it gives them “a legitimate reason” for lying their asses off all the time. Fortunately it appears it is backfiring and I see videos and posts on WeChat often challenging the CCP’s legitimacy. I still think it’s a big road to climb for the Chinese people to overthrow the party because they lack the willpower for sustained conflict and weapons.

Thanks Spartan. I was there for almost a year about 15 yrs ago so I know things will have changed. I was in Kunming. They had their first McDonalds while I was there. Queue was crazy and we all walked past to find 'real' food.

We had other interesting 'face' experiences when it came to not being paid...It's not a concept I will ever fully get but I guess our govt lies to us just with different excuses.

With cases today in Lebanon, Israel (passenger from Princess Diamond), Iran I guess the Middle East is the next breeding ground. Europe slowly simmering

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: Furryhobnob

hmm - my GP surgery [ a health centre for 15k people ] has signs up :

if you suspect 19 Ncov - do not enter this building

My GP surgery has a pre-recorded message before you get to the main menu - stating not to come to the surgery if you have travelled to China recently and/or suspect you have come into contact with someone with the virus and instead call 111. When i went in though I saw no signage or anything.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

That’s interesting, so not created for a lab study based on their results. What if they were still using a similar virus in a study with humanized mice or a ferret that have similar ACE2 receptors to us and someone had a cold? In studies like this in our labs, you are not allowed to enter rooms like this because of cross infecting (ETA: When showing respiratory symptoms). We use positive pressure hoods to keep crap away from us, it could still infect an animal model and maybe even cause a recombination event.

edit on 21-2-2020 by TheAMEDDDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc
I remember a recent article about a lab that was simulating a wet market by stacking animals in cages to monitor them for viral spill overs, it was for SARS I think. As that article I posted says, "Proving or disproving any of these hypotheses for the emergence of SARS-CoV-2 might never be possible."

Edit: the wet market simulation was for H7N9 influenza virus. www.sciencedirect.com...
edit on 21-2-2020 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

How popular are cats in China. I know they are very popular in other Asian countries, but cats do have similar ACE2. Would it be possible that this thing has been percolating through them and then jumped back to humans?

<< 184  185  186    188  189  190 >>

join