It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 78
<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
I think any result of a second referendum would be a problem....

Surely it's best of five?

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I was looking at statements made by Barnier and by a French spokesperson today, as reported in the Guardian. It will surprise me if the EU grants a long suspension of Article 50. Such a suspension is trouble for the EU in terms of interfering with other business and other priorities.

The way things look to me now, the UK is in danger of a crash out. May will probably get her three month extension, but that's it. Somebody in the UK has got to give on something. If not, I think Brexit might not happen. The clock has run down. There is not much room to maneuver in any way in the time allotted.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The EU wont give us a deal and are playing hard ball..... But they are keen to give

us an extension even a long extension. Makes you wonder why! and do they need

us more than they let on?

The Parliamentary remainers have forced 'no deal' off the table soooo T.M is now

of to Brussels to 'beg' for an extension.

WHY?

Because by default in 10 days time we will have Brexit ......deal done.

Stop press....30,000 jobs are facing the axe in German bank tie up, and thats

without Brexit.

edit on 19-3-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Because by default in 10 days time we will have Brexit ......deal done.

Parliament won't allow that to happen. If there is no breakthrough or prospect of a breakthrough before March 29, particularly if May is not given an extension by the EU, parliament will take control of the process. There could be a vote of no confidence and a general election, or another referendum. If the EU won't grant time for that to happen, Article 50 will be withdrawn to prevent a "no deal" Brexit.

The linked article is worth reading:

theconversation.com...

The June 2016 referendum imposed no legal obligation on the government to implement the result. However, the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 sets the date of Brexit as March 29, 2019 in law. Crucially, it also repeals the European Communities Act 1972, which is the legislation that brought the UK into the EU. This means that a change in UK law is also required to stop Brexit.

So, to stop Brexit, Article 50 would need to be revoked,(which the UK can do unilaterally at any time up to Mar 29th) and, after that, the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 must be repealed. Even if parliamentary approval is not required for the former, it is for the latter.

The timetable gets very tight if it becomes necessary to prevent a "no deal" Brexit.
edit on 19-3-2019 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   
A general observation

10 days to brexit

Remind us all again, the hardend Brexiter's here
The "Elite" ... are busy scuppering Brexit ?
Would this "Elite" comprise of Boris, Jacob... the ERG et al

The mind boggles

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Let us not forget that he was also the worst Lord Chancellor, ever. The first non-lawyer in the post for 440 years, and it showed.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ipsedixit

The first referendum wasn't binding. It was an advisory referendum. It was won in ways that are suspicious. i think a close result in a second referendum would be a problem. If Brexit really is the will of the people, it should increase its majority in a second referendum. That would settle the issue, I think. A significant number of people think another referendum is necessary.

No, it was not legally binding, no referendum is unless Parliament agrees specifically to be so bound because of the sovereignty of Parliament. The EU Referendum Act 2015 contained no provision for the report to be binding.

The political reality means that it cannot be ignored.

Suspicious? Yes, lies were told by both sides but then, hey - these are politicians and politicians lie all the time. Us Brits are not generally stupid, we know this.

If that was a reason to set this aside or ignore the result then that would apply to every General election ever held.

That significant amount of people wanting a second referendum would be Remainers. 'Cos they lost. Keep voting until you get the result you want, in other words.

Advisory? - yes, by strict legal interpretation. But I can assure you that us Brits took it pretty seriously at the time.

edit on 20-3-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Well if they just reverse it I riot and I voted remain.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: MyToxicTash

Amen to that. I really think that there will be trouble if we don't get to leave, or if there is going to be any long delay.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Strange.
The majority of people who go on about 'divide and conquer' etc tend to be Remainers who are going against the majority vote and are advocating maintaining the status quo they allegedly detest.

Perhaps if the Remainers had respected the majority vote and united in an effort to move this country forward in a positive and forward thinking manner we wouldn't be in the farcical situation we are now.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:38 AM
link   

You just called it with respect freeborn.

Remain, leave, extension, rinse and repeat.

There is no respect, not one once left.

And whilst we all debate argue and disagree amongst ourselves.

They do what they wish anyway, coz either way, they're not going to be on there arse.

The people on the other hand, well that's a different story.

To me whats strange is that Westminster is still standing with the crap they have come away with.
edit on 20-3-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

True. If we don't get Brexit i think there will be civil unrest, putting it mildly.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
That significant amount of people wanting a second referendum would be Remainers. 'Cos they lost. Keep voting until you get the result you want, in other words.

Sadly this is the modus operandi of the EU. Since 1972 there have been nearly 50 referenda across the EU. In all but one case when a result has gone against what the EU wanted/expected a second referendum had been engineered. The exception was Greenland who left the EU, and as far as I can see Greenland is OK.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I'm all in favour of direct action.

Despite all the assertions I suspect that come the time and moment and I'd be very much in the minority.

I never thought I'd ever say this but I have come to the conclusion that the British people as a whole have lost their resolve.
We are very good at moaning and whinging but when it really comes down to it I think they're too scared to actually protest with any level of anger.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I think whatever happens now a measure of civil unrest is in the post given the people's opinion of politics and politicians in general nevermind the division they helped to create and engineer.

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

hahaha funny they spent all that time and energy on creating division to find that it unites us in our contempt and apathy towards politics !

We have all had enough and we should all stand united to bring them down !
edit on 20-3-2019 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Well, better now than later whilst we still have the legs to carry us eh? LoL

We have lost our direction nevermind resolve.
edit on 20-3-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 75  76  77    79  80  81 >>

join