It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 75
<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is the best Brexit we'll get, says DARREN GRIMES

THE Establishment of Oxbridge-educated, central London-dwelling high-earners

HAS STITCHED US UP.

Sneakily, away from the public eye, they have stretched every rule to breaking point, relied upon every arcane parliamentary procedure they could find and pulled every lever of power available to them to make sure that the will of 17.4 million "plebs" is thwarted. It started even before the referendum when David Cameron banned the Civil Service from preparing for Leave winning the referendum, forcing the new post-referendum government to start a delivery plan from scratch. It continued when Philip Hammond refused to allow vital spending on no-deal preparation.

And it's ending with attempts by Remain MPs like Hilary Benn to "take control" of parliamentary business so he can ride roughshod over our vote - enabled by a disgracefully partisan Speaker in John Bercow.

I could keep listing elites who have used their power to thwart the people's vote, but the longer I go on, the angrier I get.

My fury peaks when I think how close we now are to them stopping Brexit altogether.

We are days away from a "lengthy" extension to our departure date being forced through Parliament by anti-democracy Remoaner MPs.

If we think about how much damage the Establishment has done to the Brexit cause in the last 30 months, imagine how much more they can do if Parliament and the EU bounces us into a 21-month extension.

The number who voted the Give these people until December 2021 and they will kill Brexit altogether.
So, it pains me to say it, but I think the honest truth is that Theresa May's withdrawal agreement is now the best Brexit we're going to get.

It's not everything Brexit could and should have been, by a long shot - but it is much, much better than giving the Establishment another 21 months of plotting to stop Brexit completely.

If we lose it all now then that's it!

If we don't get out in the next few months, even on these compromised terms, is there any chance they'll let us get this close again? No. No chance at all.

A fate worse than death.
Not something I relish contemplating.

I see John Bercow has just stuck his oar in stopping T.May having her

new/old meaning full vote
AGAIN unless she can come back with some

thing different .......STALEMATE AGAIN!!

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: eletheia

And lets not forget who failed you after being on the front page pro-leave:

N. Farage.
B. Johnson.

lol when it comes to politicians, I set my expectations as low as the dead sea.

you may have a misguided idea that these two characters meant more than the actual opportunity to participate
in the referendum. the 50% plus 1 ensured the result to leave. if pressure in the house, after all this time bears down and breaks this process the future will not look kindly on those that resisted the people.

f.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I'm not a fan of Farage, but how can anyone call him a failure? Wasn't it his only goal in politics to get the UK to leave the EU?

In his mind, he's completed politics.
edit on 18-3-2019 by Xabi87 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2019 by Xabi87 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   
www.express.co.uk...

Their anger is legitimate. They have been betrayed by a parliament of chumps. I genuinely believe that most Remainer MPs don't have a clue about how the EU works and don't understand what damage they have done to British democracy in recent weeks. Neither do they realise what a horror show they will unleash upon Britain if they acceptTheresa May's Withdrawal Agreement.

It's not just the ignorance of our MPs that has shocked me - or even their arrogance. It's their deceit.

From Mrs May down, the majority of Britain's 650 MPs have lied.

Pro Brexit politicians now find themselves in an invidious position.They are being told to vote for Mrs May's "deal" or face the prospect of a two-year delay to Brexit - and then perhaps a second referendum or no Brexit at all.

Now I dont know about many of you.......BUT THAT SCARES ME.

And WHY has more not been made of this??.....

Under Article 50, the law of the land says that the UK will leave the EU on March 29, 2019 whether a deal has been agreed or not. It is a licence to enact a no-deal Brexit. We simply cannot sit by and watch a proper Brexit being choked off

ETA/ If the EU gets its claws into us again we'll be spending euro's

and we wont have any say in whether we want to keep the £ or not.

edit on 18-3-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Now I'm not a stupid person and I've tried to keep up to date with Brexit.

But if I'm being honest I'm utterly mystified as what is exactly going on and where we actually stand with regards to actually leaving on March 29th.

As I understand things, if Article 50 isn't extended or revoked by 11pm on March 29th then we leave the EU regardless of any deal or not.
Everything else is surely smoke in mirrors.

Surely that's the message Brexit supporters must be pushing now....we can not allow our politicians to dilute and/or prevent our leaving the EU.

Does anyone actually know what is getting voted on this week and what the scenario's are if whatever is getting voted on is either accepted or not?

I honestly haven't got a #ing clue what's going on....maybe I am stupid?

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Looks like what will happen is that in the absence of an extension by the EU, parliament will have to vote on the revocation of article 50.

I think that if it was merely an issue of getting rid of the extension, we could field a bunch of MEPs who would call for Catalan independence to be recognised.
This would ensure the Spanish would veto the extension.
Now though, I think the spivs in parliament would happily vote to revoke and tell us it's what we want.

They are so out of touch, so without a care, it's sickening.

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Now I'm not a stupid person and I've tried to keep up to date with Brexit.

But if I'm being honest I'm utterly mystified as what is exactly going on and where we actually stand with regards to actually leaving on March 29th.

As I understand things, if Article 50 isn't extended or revoked by 11pm on March 29th then we leave the EU regardless of any deal or not.

Thats exactly as I understand it...... leaving without a deal by default.

If we had left and then dealt the EU would have had to have been more

accommedating?

Under Article 50, the law of the land says that the UK will leave the EU on March 29, 2019 whether a deal has been agreed or not. It is a licence to enact a no-deal Brexit

However the political consensus seems to be that we need a 'short' extension

but the EU would be more agreeable for up to a two year extension.........

Wait for it ....... at a cost now who would believe the EU would be

that mercenary?
and during that time instigating a second referendum!!

Who would have believed it??

Like you said its all smoke and mirrors!

Surely that's the message Brexit supporters must be pushing now....we can not allow our politicians to dilute and/or prevent our leaving the EU.

Time to button up our jaune gilets ?

Does anyone actually know what is getting voted on this week and what the scenario's are if whatever is getting voted on is either accepted or not?

I believe she back to Brussels .....but WHY? like she likes to say "nothings changed"

and she doesn't even have the bargaining chip of "no deal"

# # Did you.... have you..... are you..... on the march?

edit on 18-3-2019 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 01:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Well that's a good question. Now that the Speaker, Mr Bercow, has ruled a third vote on the same UK-EU deal is not permissible we do seem to be in a confused area. The EU Manderin's are meeting later today to discuss an extension, but for what purpose? The EU have said they won't change anything and that the UK-EU deal is the best they will do.

It is obviously a rolling process that will end up with another referendum.

The MPs have voted not to accept the deal on the table, and have voted to not leave the EU without a deal. Work the logic out and you get (er) stay in the EU.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It's... complicated. There's a rule in Parliament that you can't keep submitting the same bill again and again in the hope that it eventually passes. Bercow, who I admit is a pompous windbag at times, made a ruling on this yesterday, as the context for his ruling goes back to 1604 (yes, that's a good example of how far back Parliamentary rules go at times).
Now, there are some ways out of this. The same bill cannot be resubmitted during the same Parliamentary session. So what the Government might have to do is to porogue Parliament, bring everyone back for a new Parliamentary session (that might mean bringing Brenda back to the House of Lords to mutter a one-line Queen's Speech, followed by her muttering 'Naff orf' in the car afterwards) resubmit Meaningful Vote Three, or Zombie Bill Boogaloo, and then... well she'd probably lose that one too.
I think that there will be an extension of Article 50 as May's Government continues to fall apart like cheap cardboard.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 06:40 AM
link   

You are not alone I too have lost the plot. I thought that article 50 meant we automatically left on the 29th regardless of any MP's vote unless it is extended or scrapped by law. I just don't know anymore.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: oldcarpy
I thought that article 50 meant we automatically left on the 29th regardless of any MP's vote unless it is extended or scrapped by law.

Now, the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 which became law on 16 March 2017, did not contain any dates. The clock to run down was that set by the EU Treaty, not the UK. In other words, the date for the end of March is not a timeline in UK law, but in EU law. Thus, to change the date is up to the EU.

For information the narrative for the above Bill is quite simple...

1. Power to notify withdrawal from the EU
(1)The Prime Minister may notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the EU.
(2)This section has effect despite any provision made by or under the European Communities Act 1972 or any other enactment.

Source UK legislation

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Thank you. My brain hurts.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

It's got me beat; even if they are 'permitted' to do so how can MP's possibly consider voting for a deal they've already rejected twice?

And it seems we are in agreement that we've previously been led to believe that if no deal had been agreed by 11pm March 29th then we automatically leave without a deal.
That doesn't mean we can't still negotiate a deal after leaving, does it?

Or how long an extension has May sought?
Is Brexit under real threat and are the Remainers, who dominate Westminster, going to get their way after all and usurp the democratic process?

What has May promised the DUP?
No surprise that more money has been found to bribe the Ulster Unionists.

A slight aside; if there is to be a third 'meaningful' vote, that by implication surely suggests that there are 'meaningless' votes.
Surely every bit of legislation etc that goes to parliament to be discussed and voted on should be 'meaningful', shouldn't it?

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

The EU are the people who can agree an extension - if only to allow time for the legal niceties to be concluded. However, anything beyond a couple of weeks will inevitably carry a price. You can imagine the sticky moisture left on the seats in the meeting room where the EU Manderins concoct a price - "... but Monsieur Juncker, my calculator does not have enough digits".

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:39 AM
link   

i have no answers and to be honest am pretty much past caring now.

I think that Bercow is a prize pillock though.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   

What i want to know is when does it go to a penalty shoot-out?

At least that would be of entertainment.

Coz this is like watching paint dry.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Oh no! That does not usually work out too well for England.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Well, May's apt to put one over the bar, that's a given.

She could not score in a brothel with a £50 note taped to her arse.

posted on Mar, 19 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Now, the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 which became law on 16 March 2017, did not contain any dates. The clock to run down was that set by the EU Treaty, not the UK. In other words, the date for the end of March is not a timeline in UK law, but in EU law. Thus, to change the date is up to the EU.

For information the narrative for the above Bill is quite simple...

1. Power to notify withdrawal from the EU
(1)The Prime Minister may notify, under Article 50(2) of the Treaty on European Union, the United Kingdom’s intention to withdraw from the EU.
(2)This section has effect despite any provision made by or under the European Communities Act 1972 or any other enactment.

Source UK legislation

Thats exactly why T.Mays deal is a BAD deal....... Anything left to the EU is

always slewed to their own advantage, and the back stop will tie us to them

indefinately and terminally.

Her many meetings of late to Brussels seem excessive ...... In these days of

web conferences, face timing, and technology etc. The lack of transparency

makes one wonder?? I am increasingly believing that she is working for them

top topics

<< 72  73  74    76  77  78 >>

join