It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brexit, Today is the Vote!

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: oldcarpy
All this anti-May stuff is all very entertaining but does anyone actually know what Labour's position on Brexit actually is? Seems that Corbyn is clueless about it.

Interestingly, there are rumours that Vince Cable is having talks with disgruntled Labour and Tory MP's about forming a Third Party..........

A centrist party. Maybe it's about time we had one, left v right is causing too many arguments...

1981 all over again. Didn't work then, why would it work now?

1981 - The Gang of 4, pro-Euro centrist Labour party members, left to form the SDP (Social Democratic Party).
1983 - General Election, the SDP allied with the Liberals to form the SDP-Liberal Alliance. Did the same again in 1987.
1988 - SDP split and some merged with the Liberals to form SLD (Social and Liberal Democrats, later known as Liberal Democrats)

2010 - Lib Dems form coalition with the Tories.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: teapot
1981 all over again. Didn't work then, why would it work now?

1981 - The Gang of 4, pro-Euro centrist Labour party members, left to form the SDP (Social Democratic Party).
1983 - General Election, the SDP allied with the Liberals to form the SDP-Liberal Alliance. Did the same again in 1987.
1988 - SDP split and some merged with the Liberals to form SLD (Social and Liberal Democrats, later known as Liberal Democrats)

2010 - Lib Dems form coalition with the Tories.

I vaguely remember that on Spitting Image in 1988, though I was only 4 in 1981 when it all first happened. Why might it work now? Well, it's 38 years down the line, things have changed, drastically...

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

I'll say! David Owen, aka Dr Death', one of the Gang of 4 (that broke away from what was a very anti-EU Labour party) came to view the EU very differently to what the breakaway party had envisioned.

He called for a referendum before Britain's ratification of the Lisbon treaty, and expressed concerns about proposals for the creation of a 'European Rapid Reaction Force'. In February 2010, he wrote a pamphlet for the Social Market Foundation thinktank entitled "EU Social Market and Social Policy". Owen supports the referendum requirements within the European Union Act 2011.

Lord Owen continued to argue for engagement, criticising David Cameron's so-called 'veto' in December 2011 and arguing instead for a formal non-eurozone grouping with the right to join or leave the eurozone. In June 2012 Lord Owen published Europe Restructured, outlining a blueprint for restructuring the EU to allow for those countries that wish to be part of a more integrated eurozone to be facilitated while those who may only want to belong to a Single Market community are enabled to do so. He stated that a referendum on the UK's relationship with the EU is inevitable.

In February 2016, he announced that he now backs the UK leaving the EU in light of the 2016 referendum, arguing that "There are many positive aspects to leaving the EU. ... It could be the spark we need to re-energise our nation: a challenge and an opportunity." He has supported Vote Leave and spoken at rallies against the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, which Owen stated would put the NHS in danger
en.wikipedia.org...

Owen also wrote a book 'The Hubris Syndrome', 2007 about how power corrupts. web.archive.org...://www.politicospublishing.co.uk/titles.php/itemcode/178

Seeing the reports about another possible centrist breakaway party forming both angered and saddened me. Angry that at this critical time in UK history, party politics is still the top priority for HM Official Opposition and sad to see how politicians cling to the party system, not even beginning to understand how sick the country is of the farce playing out in parliament.

And yeah, bring back Spitting Image!

edit on 4/2/2019 by teapot because: bold

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Donald Tusk, obviously unused to politics in the UK, said that there must be a special place in Hell for the Brexiters who started the process without having a plan to accomplish it. Well, the Brits may not be able to do politics but they make up for it with wit.

www.theguardian.com... in-belfast-speech-politics-live

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

I think it's extraordinary how naive the EU are about politics and debate in the UK. Don't the EU ever actually debate anything? Ah, that's the problem perhaps.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I think its extraordinary how we actually think we have a say on the matter.

They know which way the dominoes will ultimately fall, or at least they have contingency plans in place to save their own souls, should things go south, at the expense of the rest of the people of the nation.

Half of the Rats are abandoning ship already for christ sake.

Its a complete and utter crap show really, which is going to, and already has cost this nation an arm and a leg, no matter which shape Brexit ultimately takes.

edit on 6-2-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Satire:

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

seems familiar !

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I think its extraordinary how we actually think we have a say on the matter.

They know which way the dominoes will ultimately fall, or at least they have contingency plans in place to save their own souls, should things go south, at the expense of the rest of the people of the nation.

Half of the Rats are abandoning ship already for christ sake.

Its a complete and utter crap show really, which is going to, and already has cost this nation an arm and a leg, no matter which shape Brexit ultimately takes.

The thing is they're very blasé about this Yvette Cooper actually said in Parliament, on telly that they'll be fine, it's the ordinary working class that will be hurt most.

posted on Feb, 6 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Satire:

In connection to the above, the following linked article is quite interesting. It names the damned and gives reasons.

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Ah - the Grauniad - Wrong about everything - all the time".

Who'd have thought that Johnson, Davis, Farage, Hannan etc were all key Brexiteers until the Guardian revealed this exclusive bombshell!
edit on 7-2-2019 by oldcarpy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

you should be banned , not only for ruining a childhood crush , but for just pure absolute horrorcore imagery!

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Well so far "horrorcore imagery" pretty much sums up the Brexit debacle.

And pictures paint a thousand words after all.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Just when i'd got Cornish's horrific visions of Abbott and Corbyn out of my head after months of counselling you post that.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   

As a ex-Remainer, I am disappointed that the only thing the anti-Brexit crowd can come up with are endless memes and fantasy doom, rather than a reiteration of the real and positive benefits of staying in the EU.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 06:53 AM
link   

I am disappointed that the only thing the anti-Brexit crowd can come up with are endless memes and fantasy doom, rather than a reiteration of the real and positive benefits of staying in the EU.

That's because there aren't any.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

As a ex-Remainer, I am disappointed that the only thing the anti-Brexit crowd can come up with are endless memes and fantasy doom, rather than a reiteration of the real and positive benefits of staying in the EU.

*Congratulations* on your awakening.
There are a few remainers on

ATS who have said the same as you on various threads....... which lends a

lie to the many remainers who keep calling for another referendum because

they are under the impression that the leavers have changed their minds.

NO CHANCE

Nobody has come out as a leaver wishing to change their vote.

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 08:07 AM
link   

It's a complete and utter crap show and indicative of the state of British politics, What more can be said really?

There is not even any debate to be had anymore, they are all a shower of dirty lying bastards.

And that ""fantasy doom"" as you call it may become reality rather sharpish.

Else why do you imagine they are all abandoning ship by the bucket load, crapping themselves over a hard Brexit, and moving all there monies and assets offshore?

If everything is going to be fine "They" have a funny way of showing it.

edit on 7-2-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I think what we do is , take note of all the people jumping ship and moving money off shore pre brexit
and post brexit , and then make a list and then exile them all from the UK , banned for life !

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join