It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shed 22

page: 196
<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Finland sounds as expensive as Holland. Small apartment here is 500 euros, plus service costs. (The Dutch are experts at extracting money from poor people. You can get rent subsidy if you qualify. The government gives a rebate to help you.(

1 euro a day for electricity sounds cheap. In my temporary housing I pay 100 euros a month. They call it a "contribution." Like it's not enough or something.

According to wiki, Finland has elk. Are you allowed to hunt them as a citizen?

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

The land value varies greatly depending on a multitude of things: location, what is on the land, natural features, structures that may already be there, mineral rights in some cases.

The value also varies depending on the region of where in the US you live.

Here where I live, the further away from cities you are, the less expensive the land is, especially if it is not developed (not cleared, no roads, no structures) and you can get some of it for as low as $2,000 to $3,000 USD per acre. Get closer to the cities and that price can go way, way up, to where you could easily be paying up to $100,000 per acre in the city itself.

Cost of a house varies quite a bit too. You can either purchase a mobile or prefab home, which can run as low as only $40,000 USD, or have a home built, which, depending on how big, how it's made, and what all you want to have installed could cost literally hundreds of thousands of dollars.....or more.

There are property taxes here in the state I live in. I have to pay taxes on both the land and homes each year, vehicles too. The amount of tax depends upon the value of the property.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

According to wiki, Finland has elk. Are you allowed to hunt them as a citizen?

Yes, elk and reindeer are common game here. But... i just couldn't pull the trigger. I would happily eat the meat though. I often miss my army times. Shooting to a cardboard target with an assault rifle. It was great. The full focus, breathing rhythm, and then just shoot.

I got qualified to soldier's Finnish championships of shooting. Failed it bad. hit one or two 8, plenty of nines and most in the ten. Then the last shot, total failure. I think the bullet went to the moon, but not the target.

Had a bit of a hard time in the training camp. me plus 3 soldiers and a lieutenant. Then we stopped at a gas station and the lieutenant gave an order that soldiers will buy sausage and the lieutenant buys beer. Couldn't focus the morning after

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I still have 1 target I shot from my Army Cadet (I was 12/13.) days. 4 out of 5 shots in the diameter of a coin at, I believe, 100 meters distance. I doubt my eyes would do that today. As for pulling the trigger, a clean shot is the most important thing. But I get it.

I forget where I read it but:

"If everyone had to kill their own food, there would be a lot more vegetarians."

edit on 10/2/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
And just to be clear, i resigned from the army reserves in 2015. They sent me to civil service center for five days. Now there are talks that only an announcement to resign would be enough, because the civil service senter 5 days is like punishment. Punishment? What punishment? Vegan, vegetarian and meat foods 2 times a day plus breakfast. Plenty of like-minded people.

Had enough money from that trip to buy me a new TV just before Hockey championships. Plenty of lectures about pacifism. I listened carefully, but... the thing is... in order for pacifism to work, it would require empathy from the opposition. There are groups that cannot be dealt with pacifism, you all know what i mean so i don't want to bring that crap to the shed.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Thanks for your answer. Sounds like Holland in some ways. The closer to "civilisation" you are, the more expensive it is due to being closer to "employment opportunities." And taxes, but they are nation-wide.

Property tax, income tax, car tax, fuel tax (gas, electricity, and petrol/diesel), sewage tax, dog tax, tax tax...

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

heh, taxes, yah.

Most of our taxes for purchasing something is included in the over all price. Most times we don't even think about it.....until the price of that thing suddenly jumps up dramatically.

Would be a different mater if the tax was collected later, as it would be much more "in your face".

The property tax, that's another matter. It's something we have to pay once a year. For a car, failure to pay it results in your tags not being renewed.
Houses, land and other things like boats, can be seized from you. Which makes a great debate on whether you actually own that property or not (and is really not a suitable subject for here in The Shed to debate).

Not all states here in the US have that tax though.

I remember when I was a teen in the early 1980s, I was living in Naples, Italy (ahhhhhh.....Italy.......how I miss you), and one day we saw a lot of black smoke rising in the distance while waiting for our school bus.
Turns out the Italians were protesting a tax hike, and they did so by blocking the highway with a huge pile of burning tires......
We didn't go to school that day, hehehehehehehe.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I hear ya. The Dutch have two phrases about places outside their own country. (Probably more I don't know.)

"Leven als een god in Frankrijk." (Live like a god in France.) The Dutch love France as a holiday destination, as do I. Food, culture, mentality, landscape.

"Eerst Naples zien, dan sterven." (First see Naples, then die.) Apparently it should be an attractive place. Italy I would love to visit if only to eat real Italian food.

One day...

edit on 10/2/19 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Trucker1

Hi Trucker! You are right about watching sugar intake. I rarely drink soda and when I do it is sugar free. I have two, sometimes 3 cups of coffee a day. I do like sweets though and am trying to eat more fruit and other things to replace those choices. Now for my being tired, I have insomnia, am on more than one med that makes you tired, depending on my pain level, I sometimes sleep poorly because of that and wake up during the night, or...I have been out for hours walking through stores and am sore and tired from that. I just take a good long nap when it catches up to me and I need the sleep. I'm disabled, so I can sleep whenever I like. Thank goodness!

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   
OH I didn't realize you guys were still around. HI!

I was just reading over previous posts and throwing stars.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Hey Light, You that mentioned that if people had to kill their food, there would be more vegetarians. I'm only on my first cup of coffee here. Anyway, I tell vegetarians that plants are living things and have feelings too.

I'm glad I don't have to kill my own food, that would break my heart to kill an animal.

edit on 10-2-2019 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   

I didn't know you were in the army reserves Fin. Love the song you posted earlier. I haven't heard that one in years.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Me too! I like meat just fine but I wouldn't mind killing an animal as long as it was a clean, single shot. (I wouldn't be able to "field dress" the animal though.)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I can see people who hunt for food, but not for sport. At one time Mark had a bow and arrow, the tree stand and everything he needed to get himself a deer. He was so determined until...he was up in his tree stand looking down at this big beautiful deer and the deer was looking up at him. he said he couldn't do it, couldn't take that beautiful animals life. I laughed because I was telling him over and over, he wouldn't be able to kill a deer as he loved animals. LOL

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Good (insert time of day here) to everyone. After a restless night of dreaming (no zombies) I'm just going to chill and lurk as I've been reading the interesting exchanges of information here since yesterday.

Night, you get a PM to read when you are up to it, and after I get around to writing it soon too.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

How's yer foot doing? Can I run faster than you? (I doubt it, I am old-ish, foot is twinging and I have COPD (silly tobacco smoker.)

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Good day Blue! I'll read it now.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   

LOL! I can walk, but not run. I'll just sit back and watch you guys.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I've seen snails run faster than I can.

My ankle has been causing great pain recently. As it takes me a bit of time to figure out the whys and hows I have concluded that the pain is due to steel implants and the cold weather. Therefore the solution to being pain free is to double up on socks for extra warmth.

Thanks for asking.

posted on Feb, 10 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

If there is an ongoing but varying pain, you might have developed a bone spur at the site of the original injury. I would have that checked out, because if so, it won't get better. If warming it gives you great relief, then you've got it pegged! Ligaments and tendons also respond well to heat well after the injury. What am I telling you this for???? You KNOW all this stuff. NEVERmind.

I always wondered why we didn't make human tape -- like the tape we wrap around pipes in the winter and plug in to keep them from freezing. Yeah. Wrap it around our extremities and plug into a modular 12-volt device on our hip. I know several times in my life I would've loved such a thing. In fact, why not go ahead and run wires through a jumpsuit and keep it heated. YAH!

new topics

top topics

<< 193  194  195    197  198  199 >>

join