It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"...not everyone who gets their period is a woman..." Reality or Mental illness??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Quadrivium

Hard to be happy and carefree when you are dealing with this type of stuff on a daily basis:

Respondents who experienced rejection by family and friends, discrimination, victimization, or violence had elevated prevalence of suicide attempts, such as those who experienced the following:
— Family chose not to speak/spend time with them: 57%
— Discrimination, victimization, or violence at school, at work, and when accessing health care
• Harassed or bullied at school (any level): 50-54%
• Experienced discrimination or harassment at work: 50-59%
• Doctor or health care provider refused to treat them: 60%
• Suffered physical or sexual violence: — At work: 64-65%
— At school (any level): 63-78%
— Discrimination, victimization, or violence by law enforcement
• Disrespected or harassed by law enforcement officers: 57-61%
• Suffered physical or sexual violence: By law enforcement officers: 60-70
— Experienced homelessness: 69%

williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu...

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Labeling anyone who doesn't fit inside some sort of societal "norm" as mentally deficient is a form of authoritarian control.

It's social engineering.

If these individuals can function in society then they should be free to do so.

It is not up to anyone else to determine how someone should act/behave as long as the individual is not infringing upon the rights and freedoms of others.

I agree with your post but that is not exactly what I am referring to.
On campuses across the US you have groups DEMANDING that others use "their pronouns" it has even cost some people their jobs.
As I said above, some of this is due to genetics, some metal illness, but I feel the majority of it is people wanting attention.
I agree that if they can function in society then they should be allowed to do so, yet society should not have to conform to them in order for them to function.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: Greven

If i say "ma'am" and it upsets someone, that is their problem, not mine.

If i believe you to be a female, to call you "sir" causes me to feel like i am not internally consistent. I do not lie, and am unable to lie to myself without my own stresses and anxieties. WHy should my own mental comfort take a back seat to someone elses?

Do you call someone named Richard (who goes by Dick) either 'Richard' or 'Dick?'

Is that internally stressful?
edit on 12Sat, 25 Aug 2018 12:14:35 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago8 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   

If i believe you to be a female, to call you "sir" causes me to feel like i am not internally consistent. I do not lie, and am unable to lie to myself without my own stresses and anxieties. WHy should my own mental comfort take a back seat to someone elses?

If being thoughtful causes you mental discomfort... why not just avoid calling anyone sir or ma’am? No one expects it - it’s not the 1950’s anymore.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

To use a pronoun that they may prefer is not an imposition to me.

I don't see it as an infringements on any of my rights.

If someone would want to referred to as "High Emperor of Greebleblatt" then, "ok".

*shrug*

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

we still don't understand what all involves in what determines the actual sex a fetus develops into... but it just might be more than the x/y factor. if the male and female brain/ emotional being is wired differently like so many seem to want us to all believe, then, events throughout the pregnancy may just influence things. what the heck, it's been found that our pollutants can actually change the sex of fish!
if we don't understand that, then it's hard to say just how rare the abnormalities may be.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I do not mean any disrespect but we ALL experience problems. None of us are accepted by everyone we meet. Many have been bullied (including myself).
I do not know many people that have not felt rejected at one time or another. Even now I have family members that don't accept me. I understand that it is their problem and their loss, not mine.
Acceptance is not all it's cracked up to be and if I have to change for anyone, including myself, to feel accepted.....well it ain't gonna happen.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness. No legitimate doctor thinks that - Medical doctor, psych doctor, or any other kind of doctor.

I’m sorry for your condition, but there IS relief for people with gender dysphoria. I don’t begrudge them that relief, just like I wouldn’t begrudge you relief.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It's harder being a Republican than it is a TG.

Just ask the current prez.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

To use a pronoun that they may prefer is not an imposition to me.

I don't see it as an infringements on any of my rights.

If someone would want to referred to as "High Emperor of Greebleblatt" then, "ok".

*shrug*

Again, I think you are missing the point. Living in the south I was raised to say 'yes Sir, no sir, yes Ma'am and no Ma'am',
I greet people as Mr., Miss, or Mrs. It is apart of who I am and it is how a raised my three adult children.
Why should I get brow beat or in the future possibly lose my job for being polite?
I do not expect others to change to accommodate me and I feel others should show the same respect.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I do agree that you should not be forced to say certain things.

That's just as authoritarian as saying that people should be one thing or another.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Gender dysphoria is not a mental illness. No legitimate doctor thinks that - Medical doctor, psych doctor, or any other kind of doctor.

I’m sorry for your condition, but there IS relief for people with gender dysphoria. I don’t begrudge them that relief, just like I wouldn’t begrudge you relief.

There is relief. I've not argued that, and at this point it seems to be a strawman.

Your argument is that as part of their relief, others in the world should engage in their desired delusion. My argument is that this is ridiculous to even ask, let alone assert, and that we should all heal ourselves without regard to the world around us. Some folks aren't made to live on this planet...and we won't do our species any favors by embracing that and encouraging it among the normal population.

That said...you are wrong regarding any doctors calling gender dysphoria a mental illness. I know doctors. Psychologists aren't actual clinicians, so their "doctor" is in paper only and received in a liberal arts discipline not employing the scientific process. While i find value in what they say, what they say represents how people feel about reality and not reality itself. Psychiatrists straddle that line, attempting to treat clinical issues with medical intervention. They typically embrace the fluff from the shrinks for the sake of internal consistency and patient therapy.

Other doctors, MD's not in the psych field, will view it however they view it. If you'd like I can take a poll of physicians that I know. The only one who answered their phone this morning chuckled when I asked, and he replied with "Man doesn't define nature, nature defines man". Take that however you will.

I'd add: your statement was an absolute which I must reject without a citation. I.E, a poll among doctors not in the psych field.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greven

Do you call someone named Richard (who goes by Dick) either 'Richard' or 'Dick?'

Is that internally stressful?

No. Because my mental framework was built from the earliest of ages around such things.

Let me ask you this: would calling someone Richard by the name of "Dick", "Rick", "Richard", "Rickles", "Ricky", etc be untruthful?

But if i have someone with razor stubble, a masculine physique, deep voice, and bulging adams apple standing in front of me demanding to be observed as a female, i must say I cannot do that. Even if I call them "alice", which isn't a problem. I've known men and women named "terry", "pat", "michael"....no biggie. I have an internal framework that processes that and there is no problem. But saying "ma'am"....nope.

ETA: funny enough...if your name is Richard Smith and you decide to change it to "Corkie McDonnell", don't expect me to call you "Corky" unless that was your nickname prior. Its happened, and I stopped talking to said person because it was too uncomfortable for me to call them by this new, made up name.

edit on 8/25/2018 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I do agree that you should not be forced to say certain things.

That's just as authoritarian as saying that people should be one thing or another.

YES!
But it goes farther than that. It is a one way street.
I read this somewhere and it stuck with me:
"If you call me an A--hole, no matter how much I am offended, I can't call the law on you. Yet in some places you can be fined or worse for calling someone, belonging to a "protected group", the wrong pronoun."
Telling me how to speak is just as bad as trying to shut me up.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

True.

It is a form of censorship, and if the state can punish you, then it is inherently unconstitutional because it is denying you your right to free expression.

Which is ironic, because the state is working hard to protect others their right to free expression.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It is my choice to call a man dressed as a woman, "Ma'am".

Just as much as it is the choice of a man to dress as a woman.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

This is, sadly, our future.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Looks like a periodic table of sorts.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

only if you will it to be so.

i like being the round peg in the group of squares.

posted on Aug, 25 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quadrivium

This is, sadly, our future.

I don't see an issue as long as it is a request.

If it is a mandate, then it is censorship.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join