It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, multiple aides shot at Congressional baseball practice

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Thank god for good guys with guns.

This is one of the police officers who took down the Alexandria shooter. His name is Special Agent David Bailey and he and Special Agent Crystal Griner stopped a massacre today.

Blue Lives Matter.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: RazorV66

There are deranged (and dangerous) morons on all sides of our imaginary political puppet show. Last years CO Springs abortion shooter was a deranged right winger. What they had in common is that they were both armed and crazy.

link   

originally posted by: veracity

originally posted by: SBMcG

originally posted by: DBCowboy
It is wrong to label all leftists as this guy.

Just remember though. . .

It is wrong to label all gun owners like this guy, when the talk of gun control comes up, and it will.

One of the first things out of Terry McAuliffe's mouth today was to blame guns.

Liberal Politics 101: Never let a good crisis go to waste.

labeling all gun owners the same is completely different than saying guns are too easly accessible to the mentally ill, there IS a difference, you know this right?

This guy had been arrested for domestic violence in 2006
That should have under federal law blocked him from owning a gun.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I think some of them asked in private session this morning if they could hire security details. Others are asking for the right to carry themselves.

I know legislators can be armed to the teeth in their own offices, and I don't think it takes much to be allowed to CC outside Capital grounds, but I'm sure they can't carry on the House or Senate grounds.

Not quite. Couple years ago Gowdy and another guy got some heat for posing for a picture with a gun in one of their offices. At least as of then, members of Congress were allowed to maintain firearms within their offices but nowhere else. They could transport within Capitol grounds, as long as it was unloaded and secured. Not allowed to carry into either of the Chambers without special permission, and they can't carry off the grounds, period.

To do any of the above, they have to go through the Sergeants at Arms, Capitol Police, DC Police, etc. It ain't easy.

link   
sorry, off track
edit on 14-6-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was evil. Even those among us that go to these horrible extremes find reasons within themselves to justify their wrongdoing.

Perhaps this guy thought he was doing a great service for the Left or country. I don't know, but what he did was not a good deed for any of us.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED

It is wrong to label all gun owners like this guy, when the talk of gun control comes up, and it will.

labeling all gun owners the same is completely different than saying guns are too easly accessible to the mentally ill, there IS a difference, you know this right?

It actually doesn't. It's only if you're convicted.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

He was arrested for DV, but was he convicted of any crime?
edit on 14-6-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

You are damn right these people deserve to be applauded. Too often we hear of improprieties and failures within these security details.

These two helped prevent an even worse tragedy, and seemingly acted quickly and heroically, and no doubt saved lives.
edit on 14-6-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Has anybody learned whether or not the victim Scalia is related to the late SCOTUS Scalia?

link   
AJ nailed it on the head.

link   
a reply to: Grambler

Let's be fair, politics are always going to play a role in pretty much every aspect of existence. That said ketsuko made it sound like mental illness is defined by the whims of politicians which certainly isn't true. Does the definition of mental illness undergo changes based on paradigm shifts in public opinion? Definitely. Does the definition of mental illness change depending on whose in office? No.

Also, I really can't stand Foucault. I've tried reading some of his work on literary criticism and he makes an already dry subject unbearable.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
Has anybody learned whether or not the victim Scalia is related to the late SCOTUS Scalia?

Scalise, not Scalia.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Ah, silly me.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

He was arrested for DV, but was he convicted of any crime?

I believe the article I read said the charges were dropped, at least on one of the incidents.

ETA:

The charges were dismissed, according to court records.

Link[ editby]edit on 14-6-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254
Oh yeah I was not deeply involved in your discussion, just pointing out that there certainly is an argument to be had that politics plays a part in diagnoses.

Foucault was a very bright man, but I think a very dangerous one. Jordan Peterson quite articulately argues why post modernism is such a scourge.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Just got back in... Scalise is out of surgery but in critical condition?

Also, any more news on Hodgkinson?

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Thank you for making my point. Mental illness changes at the whim of politics. What else is public opinion, except politically driven? What else is PC?

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Hodgkinson has died.

posted on Jun, 14 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: proximo

Who gets to label who is mentally ill? If someone like Obama is in charge what is to stop him from saying a tea party member is mentally ill? If it's up to some Madow loving psychiatrist, maybe supporting Trump makes you mental. That is a very slippery slope.

In the case of this guy - was he mentally ill when he got his gun? I really doubt it, but he was radicalized - so what is your next solution yearly mental checkups, monthly, daily?

This is what it boils down to - we don't live in a perfect world, we live in a f'd up world, and pretending it isn't does not change reality no matter how much you want it too. The best thing we can do is face reality and give ourselves the chance to protect ourselves when things go bad.

there is a valid definition to every mental illnesses.

Yeah, well you could argue the constitution is very clear also - but it doesn't stop activist judges from ignoring it does it?

Sure some mental illness is easy to identify. But a bunch is subjective.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join