It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Announces He is no Longer Self-Funding his Campaign

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Donald Trump Won’t Self-Fund General-Election Campaign
www.wsj.com...

Donald Trump reversed course Wednesday and said he would actively raise money to ensure his campaign has the resources to compete with Hillary Clinton’s

The campaign will tap his expansive personal Rolodex and a new base of supporters who aren’t on party rolls, two Trump advisers said.

“Donald generated such broad-based support that we’re looking to tap into existing party members as well as the new people that have joined the party for him,” said Steven Mnuchin, chief executive of Dune Capital Management LP, named as the Trump campaign national finance chair, on Wednesday

Several wealthy donors have already said they would back him if he became the nominee, and billionaire Home Depot Inc. co-founder Ken Langone said Wednesday he was “all in” for Mr. Trump. In addition, the candidate has said his wealthy friends are prepared to cut checks.

So all the talk from Trump and his Supporters about his self-financing meaning he would not be in anyone's pocket? Or owe anything to anyone?...

Not expecting it to move the needle any, Trump supporters are resilient to these flip-flops, but interested on how folks feel all the same?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

He was never fully self funded , since his home page had donate buttons on top and bottom.

Plus the big deals never get disclosed up front anyways. Kick backs in the back end is where its at. Just ask the Clintons how they made over 100 Million in speaking engagements after Slick Willy was president.

Having said that:
wontvotehillary.com...

I don't now much about stocks but after this election year, I think the demand for Vaseline is going to go through the roof no matter what.

edit on 06531America/ChicagoThu, 05 May 2016 16:06:32 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

He was never fully self funded , since his home page had donate buttons on top and bottom.

Trump has now said he will actively solicit large Checks from his "rolodex" and "Megadonors".

About a 3rd of his campaign thus far came from small donors "donate here" buttons and merchandise sales.

What he is doing now is the precise thing he has been claiming makes other politicians puppets.

“I’ll be putting up money, but won’t be completely self-funding,” the presumptive Republican nominee said in an interview Wednesday.

The new plan represents a shift for Mr. Trump, who has for months portrayed his Republican opponents as “puppets” for relying on super PACs and taking contributions from wealthy donors that he said came with strings attached.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:21 PM
link   

The selling of merchandise?

Americans really get on board with their candidates don't they?

Here in the U.K we would expect to receive free merchandise from politicians. You know things like mugs, stickers, posters, pens and some other tat.

edit on 5/5/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: Typo

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I am honestly not surprised and no one else should be either. I am surprised he made it through the primaries, but realistically, he's going to need a full campaign apparatus including a ground network which he never had in the primaries and that takes money.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
so phase 3 has begun

is this guy really the "anti" politician ?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Since Mr. Trump became the Presumptive Republican Nominee for President , of course some Influential Individuals would want to Donate to his Campaign in exchange for Favors , but do you Really Think Mr. Trump would even give them the Time of Day in Return ? Mr. Trump does not Need the " Special Interest " Leeches who Haunt American Politics today , he could easily raise about a Billion Dollars that would be needed for his National Campaign by excepting 20 to a Hundred Dollar Donations from his Millions of Middle Class Blue Collar Supporters . If the Man has said he Will Not be Bought , then we will just have to take him for his Word until certain circumstances prove it otherwise .

+11 more 
posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Trump has always said that he would likely need to look into donations if he became the nominee. He has never come out and said that he would be totally self funding after the nomination so I don't know why anyone would expect him to be.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Well. I am either voting for Sanders or no one.

With this news hitting the streets it makes me believe the only candidate I can trust is Bernie Sanders.

I change my vote to only Sanders. Trump just lost all respect from me for becoming a sell out.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Clever.

As liberal as Trump is on certain issues, he'll certainly steal away funds that might otherwise go to Clinton.

There are folks out there who know they won't get their way with a politician ... unless that politician accepts a bribe.

+3 more 
posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

" I change my vote to only Sanders. Trump just lost all respect from me for becoming a sell out. "

How can you Rationalize Mr. Trump is somehow a ' sell out ' because he is now willing to except Donations from his Supporters ? By the way , where do you Think Bernie Sanders is getting HIS Money ?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I am honestly not surprised and no one else should be either. I am surprised he made it through the primaries, but realistically, he's going to need a full campaign apparatus including a ground network which he never had in the primaries and that takes money.

No Doubt it takes money..Anywhere from 500M to 750M...but he said he was worth 10B and would self-finance?

He has only spent 38 Million of his own money thus far...and he LOANED it to his campaign which means he can/will pay himself back with interest from mega donor checks he is now accepting...so he will likely not end up paying for any of his campaign himself.

Donald Trump in June last year:
"I'm using my own money. I'm not using the lobbyists. I'm not using donors. I don't care." He paused. "I'm really rich."

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

The selling of merchandise?

Americans really get on board with their candidates don't they?

Here in the U.K we would expect to receive free merchandise from politicians. You know things like mugs, stickers, posters, pens and some other tat.

In the US people buy those things as a symbol of support. Hats, tshirts, bumper stickers, mugs, pens, and all the rest. There is a lot of candidate merchandise. Each politician basically seeks to make themselves a brand name. Just look at this
www.bustle.com...

Our campaign process is sick.

On the topic of Trump I'm not surprised. He has barely uttered a single truthful word during his campaign, why would people expect him to tell the truth about self funding? I remember going over this months ago too, Trump simply doesn't have the liquid capital to self fund. This campaign is going to cost billions of dollars (in comparison the primaries were only a few million, Trump himself was only out $2 million) and he doesn't have the cash for that. The donor class would have to step in at some point and that's without even considering the superPAC cash totals.
edit on 5-5-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

" ....with interest from mega donor checks he is now accepting "

Who are these Alleged 'mega donors " ? I have not heard a word about them except for maybe the CEO of HomeDepot who for obvious Business Reasons has come out in Support for Mr. Trump .

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well Trump was never really paying for his campaign. He loaned the campaign money which would be payed back at the end of the campaign through whatever money the campaign made in donations etc.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

" This campaign is going to cost billions of dollars "

This is a Untruth , Please provide some supportive Evidence to such a Wild Claim .

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

www.investopedia.com...

First link. Depending on what estimates you want to go with, between 3 and 10 billion.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Trump has always said that he would likely need to look into donations if he became the nominee.

I got curious what you meant by "always said"..

From his twitter in Feb 2016?
"I don't believe I have been given any credit by the voters for self-funding my campaign, the only one. I will keep doing, but not worth it!"

www.youngcons.com...

I am having a hard time substantiating your claim of
"Trump has always said that he would likely need to look into donations if he became the nominee. "

Help me out with a link or quote?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
So he secures the nomination and then changes it up in order to play the game like a typical politician.

Geez. Imagine that.

I wonder if the term 'buyer's remorse' will be thrown around in the near future?

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

" ....with interest from mega donor checks he is now accepting "

Who are these Alleged 'mega donors " ? I have not heard a word about them except for maybe the CEO of HomeDepot who for obvious Business Reasons has come out in Support for Mr. Trump .

Some Millionaire woman in NC, a couple in Texas, Millionaire/Billionaire friends in NYC...the names of those making public declarations are sputtering out in various stories

Carl Ichan is one (Who Trump has hinted he wants for Treasury Sec)
Wilbur Ross, Billionaire
Sheldon Adelson
I'd have to do some through googling to give you a full list

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join