It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Shuts Down Comments on Malia Obama Article When Realizing How Racist their Readers Are

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla

Words don't have power unless you give it to them.

I think words can have power. Words leads to thoughts and thoughts lead to actions. Even if the recipient of those words decides not to let the words bother them, those words were associated with thoughts - those thoughts are racist. It's not too far of a stretch to see how lots of those thoughts over time can lead to actions. And it is the actions that concern me the most.

So when I hear or read people using such racist words, it does concern me - not necessarily because of the words alone, but what those words can lead to eventually.

I have seen posters on this site claim that there really isn't any racism any more. Bullcrap! There's plenty of racism in this country. It IS still a problem, no matter how many try to cover it up or deny it.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

You're literally describing thought crime....No thank you

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   

No, it's a description of hate speech being used to encourage violence against others, most of us understand this, but then most of us are not apologists for hate.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Cool cool, It seems like thought police have arrived so I'm going to bow out and let you guys do your thing.

Thanks for calling me an "apologist for hate" though, thats a new one.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

No. I'm not saying people should go to jail for saying racist words. I'm saying that racist words do have power to lead to racist actions, even if the recipient pays no mind to the words.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

She didn't say anything about thought crimes - she was only talking about how words have influence

But while we're here - what's the difference between a crime and a thought crime?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Go outside...LOL....you gave no points. Try again....

My question to use is...... If Larry Wilmore posted...."Malia...my nigga.....you did it!!!!!You made it to college!!!!!"

Would that be racist? Just wondering.....

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Thanks for calling me an "apologist for hate" though, thats a new one.

:

See, words do have power....as evidenced by your reaction. Imagine what it would be like to be called a "spick" or "beaner" all your life!
edit on 4-5-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

My question to use is...... If Larry Wilmore posted...."Malia...my nigga.....you did it!!!!!You made it to college!!!!!" Would that be racist? Just wondering.....

No - it wouldn't

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

No. I'm not saying people should go to jail for saying racist words. I'm saying that racist words do have power to lead to racist actions, even if the recipient pays no mind to the words.

You are correct that words have power, but I think Benny is correct that as individuals we can do our best to limit that power by refusing to allow them to affect us. However, not everyone can or is willing to do this, and so saying hurtful racists things can influence them.

This is also true of a society that constantly tells cis white men or any combination thereof that they are evil and they need to change their culture. This too after having been constantly repeated has an affect on people.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I think "readers" is much to kind, lol

link   
a reply to: Grambler

This is also true of a society that constantly tells cis white men or any combination thereof that they are evil and they need to change their culture. This too after having been constantly repeated has an affect on people.

Well, since you've brought this up (more than once) I have to ask - what are you even talking about?

Why do you care?

link   

They do. Words do mean a lot...like in the following cases....

A video of 10 year old Hispanic kids yelling "F%&^ Trump"
Why kids in the inner city cannot break the cycle of ignorance and Chicago is out of control with gang violence
Why teens randomly beat people and call them 'cracka' or 'nigga' Both colors do it....

Racism comes in many forms but it ALL starts at home. A person is not born racist. They are made that way.

Trump is in no way racist and the continual repeating is starting to make a lot of you look very ignorant and simply hateful. Almost as if you hate him because he is a rich old white guy. If Trump was black I wonder what some of you would think if he said the same things.....

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: jjkenobi

Not all Republicans are racists but all racists are republicans

Not so. I have some Democrat buddies that voted for Obama, that now refer to him with the N word. They also use that word about other blacks as well, but never to their faces.
What surprised me was some of the life long Democrats who supported Bill C, and Obama at one time, now switching parties to vote for Trump. At least 50% of my D friends are pro Trump, and probably 30% pro Sanders. Hillarys name doesnt come up much anymore, except with disgust for being a sell out

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

If Trump was black I wonder what some of you would think if he said the same things.....

I wonder if you think that people just don't like Trump because he's white - and not because of what he's said

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

One is a crime and one is not

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I love learning new things about myself is all

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

One is a crime and one is not

What's the difference? What is a thought crime?

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis

Well, since you've brought this up (more than once) I have to ask - what are you even talking about?

Why do you care?

I care because I want our world to be a better place, and comments that belittle any race repeated enough will bring negative consequences of all sorts. Earlier posts praised Steven King for showing how Republicans created the monster that is the racism we are seein now, I was pointing out that progressives have done there fair share of racists rhetoric, and how people are getting fed up with it. I think this is a big reason Trump is so popular.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Fair enough

I only asked because you suggested that words would have less of an effect if we didn't care so much

Which is obviously true :-)

We do care though, and we depend on language for almost everything

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join