It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former slave Harriet Tubman to be new face of US$20 bill: official

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Personally I dont agree with this at all. I don't get why they would dishonor Andrew Jackson by removing him from the $20 bill, as he deserves that honor of being there.
If they wanted to give Hariat something special, they should've just released a new version of the $1 coin. Or they could've just released a special commemorative gold/silver collectors coin. That would've been better.

edit on 20-4-2016 by KaibaTheJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: KaibaTheJedi

Jackson would never consider that an honor.

Andrew Jackson shuts down Second Bank of the U.S.

I just love this description of him.

Jackson, known as obstinate and brutish but a man of the common people, called for an investigation into the bank’s policies and political agenda as soon as he settled in to the White House in March 1829. To Jackson, the bank symbolized how a privileged class of businessmen oppressed the will of the common people of America. He made clear that he planned to challenge the constitutionality of the bank, much to the horror of its supporters. In response, the director of the bank, Nicholas Biddle, flexed his own political power, turning to members of Congress, including the powerful Kentucky Senator Henry Clay and leading businessmen sympathetic to the bank, to fight Jackson.

Go on. Keep telling us how Jackson would love what was clearly done as a slap in the face to him.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: syrinx high priest

Well, if the US hadn't taken that conquering view of indian lands and expansion, we'd almost certainly not have become the most prosperous country in the world, nor would we have squashed the Spanish expansion northward out of Mexico. Worked out pretty damn well for us and I'd be a hypocrite if I said I wish things hadn't happened as they did in that regard. I know I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to grow up east of the Mississippi.

Well, I believe the US could have honored the supreme courts decision, treated the Cherokee fairly and still risen to glory.

The Cherokee could have even made it better.

pssst

that's how I know you are a racist, lol

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm not wowed by this. I'm not offended, either, but definitely not wowed. A girl on money, wee! Yeah big whoopie sh#.

Ultimately, I dislike unnecessary change. Our money's meh, but it's plenty suitable for using as tender. Aside from pennies, just get rid of the 1/100th denom already.
And considering the value of the dollar, this changeover to Tubman (or ANYONE new) cannot be all that cost effective to implement these days, either. Anyone find any ballpark idea yet how much this is going to cost taxpayers?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Taupin Desciple
You people still use paper money? How antiquated are you?

Well how else can people stuff away money?

Credit cards are useless for hiding.

I'm not trying to hide. I don't do anything wrong and I'm not paranoid about banks stealing my money.

Not everyone hides money to save it bro.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This is an act, although entirely symbolic, that all Americans and our foreign friends can be proud of.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This topic will be a fun one to talk in person. seeing people's faces when you tell them that Harriet Tubbman was a gun toting republican

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
You read some places, that this change was due to an out cry....

Seriously, we are boarder line pathetic for commenting on this. To sit around and actually try to get the money changed. People need some real life friends, a job, or the administration needs to stop lying to the people

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Does it cost much for a new print to be made? It will just be new 20's printed that will be affected, the old ones will stay in rotation i imagine.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

I always seem to be the last one to know...

Que sera sera.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: syrinx high priest

I always seem to be the last one to know...

Que sera sera.

you actually made the argument that we were better off violating a supreme court decision to force people out of their homes and take them or burn them because one race is superior to the other.

Do I even want to know about whats so bad about east of the Mississippi ?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: KaibaTheJedi
Personally I dont agree with this at all. I don't get why they would dishonor Andrew Jackson by removing him from the $20 bill, as he deserves that honor of being there.

Why?
He was okay, but not wildly remarkable. his presidency is to give the democratic party a symbol (the jackass), did some anti-bank stuff, betrayed cherokees by rejecting defending them after negotiating deals which protected their lands, worked with states to make slavery legality easier,

I dont think Jackson was extremely racist per say. he was a product of his time and seen through some severe brainwashing tribalism, white people as the only respectable humans on the planet..the rest were trash to be enslaved, removed, or otherwise ignored...hmm
actually screw that guy. Tubman is far more deserving.
Jackson on indian removal

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
remember the outcry when there was a black stormtrooper in a fictional movie.. or that recent game which made the main character random ethnicity and there was a backlash because some were randomly black...

i wonder why they insist on this milticultural thing. its not going to change anything. in fact there are people whom have already sworn not to touch the bill.

theres no amount of time or ideology which can appease certain traits in man.
this might even intensify certain emotions from certain groups and theyll go and murder innocent women and children in churches for the sake of...

we need to stop shoving diversity down the throats of those whom are against it.

this bill won't accomplish anything but further veil real American sentiments toward blacks....
this is not a lie.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Just in time for the cashless society?

But seriously...money isn't real.

You would also think that Andrew Jackson AND Harriet Tubman are probably rolling in their graves over this.

Oh well, like I said...just in time for the cashless society....

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
What really gets my goat is if it is the $20 bill they will be getting rid of Andrew Jackson...

ANDREW FREAKIN' JACKSON!!!

Old Hickory himself...

Of all the ones that were around during the beginning of this great nation he is one of my favorites that are not in your face like Washington or Adams. A couple others that were in my favorites is Henry. Don't hear much about Jay either.

Get rid of Lincoln and give Jackson the $5.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

Hey, you know ... the old white democrat who instituted the Trail of Tears for the abolitionist chick? fair enough trade.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

Race had nothing to do with what I posted. Nationality did. Sorry to disappoint you, but nationalism isn't a racial thing.

I'm an Alaskan who has lived his whole life west of the Rockies, the East Coast is like a foreign country to me. Don't repeat your earlier mistake and try to read something inane into my distaste over living in that part of the country.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: xuenchen

Why would anyone be against this change

I bet Hillary's blood is boiling right now!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Apparently, this is even better than previously reported. There's a new NY Times article showing who's supposedly been chosen for what.

1. Harriet Tubman on the front of the $20 bill.

2. Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucretia Mott, Alice Paul, and Sojourner Truth (!!!) on the back of the $10 bill. I'm a little disappointed that Hutchinson didn't make it, too.

3. Marian Anderson, Eleanor Roosevelt, and Dr. MLK himself on the back of the $5 bill.

Here Are the New Faces on $5, $10 and $20 Bills

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Awesome..
Harriet was a Republican that carried guns. I'm down with that. And my friend whom is a tribal elder will not except a 20 dollar Jackson on his grounds.😊

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join