It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former slave Harriet Tubman to be new face of US$20 bill: official

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: dogstar23

By worthless I mean that even in my 40 year life that $20 in my wallet has lost more than half it buying power. It doesn't do what it used to.

Look at something simple. Dinner for me and my GF. Where once dinner would have cost two people $30 and a 10% was expected, now a cheap dinner out is $80-$120 and a 20% tip is frowned upon as cheap (30-35% being the norm).

I don't believe I argued that changing to Tubman would lower the value of the currency, if that is what you read I apologize. Money is worthless because it has no buying power. More is needed to buy less, regardless of the face on the front.

I wasn't misinterpreting you about Tubman, just didn't agree that it would be done to distract people from currency devaluation / inflation. Just saying, it wouldn't have any effect on that, as everyone is well aware of it. Purchasing power in the US has increased 21% over the past 47 years Source - that's not much, it's weak sauce, to be honest! But - we haven't lost purchasing power, as incomes have increased (on average) faster than the rate of inflation.

Is it less than we'd like? Less than what it should be if the system wasn't being gamed? Absolutely. But put in perspective, my house cost 4x what my parents' house cost them, but my income at the time of purchase was 8x what theirs was. Different careers, but in a similar "bracket" - wages just simply outpaced inflation during that time period.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

Not to mention Mushroom is already foaming at the mouth inventing people who are being loud and venomous.

All I've seen is people pointing out the very obvious reasons why this most likely is not as pure and wonderful a decision as some will make it out to be.

Guess were both just racists

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
"It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes." -Andrew Jackson plus a hundred more awesome things he said against our establishment that are easily found upon googling him, which at least SOME people would be prompted to do when seeing his name on a bill, that will become lessened by this.

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Just wait until we hear the "real history of Harriet Tubman" from the closet racists. They'll try to prove that history incorrectly portrays her, and she isn't a figure to be looked up to.

your efforts to label racist onto people who have not even voiced their opinions yet disgust me. despite what you may think your effort is an act of oppression. part of the problem
edit on 20-4-2016 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
First the blacks take over our sports, and now our money!? Whats next, a black president?!!! This country is going to hell.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal
a reply to: seagull

what i find most disturbing about all this is how easy it is for so many of you to premeditated force the label of racist onto anyone who would want to be opposed to changing the 20 bill. your logic is they must accept the change or else they are racists, you leave no room for free thought or opinion without slander. is this the world you want? oppressing the views and opinions of others with such libel?
i like Andrew Jackson more because of his anti establishment views/quotes. you know i shouldnt have to explain why, i just like him better, if that is all it takes for you to label me a racist then you have serious mental problems.

What I find most disturbing is that anyone would give a rats ass about which picture they put on a piece of paper.

It still spends the same, so who gives a damn?

Just more idiotic things for people to argue about.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Nor quite, as with most stereotyping, fair. There were a few Southern Democrats that were anti-Slavery.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

if you are someone who doesnt give a damn then this thread does not want your presence, as it is a discussion for people who do give a damn,

are you actually in this thread for the sole purpose of telling people not to be in this thread? not to discuss this?

you dont care then leave, let those who do care discuss without you trying to make them not discuss.

your presence indicates you do actually give a damn despite your statement, if you truly dont give a damn why bother posting here.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I find it odd that you'd point me out as one who does that...

Someone is against putting Tubman on the twenty. OK, why? It's that reasoning that will place the label on them, not me.

Are you against it? If you merely say yes, with no reasoning behind it, doesn't mean you're a bigot. ...and I'll never say so. I will ask you why you're against it, though.

If you just prefer Jackson, that in no way makes you a bigot/racist. There, I said it.
edit on 4/20/2016 by seagull because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Just wait until we hear the "real history of Harriet Tubman" from the closet racists. They'll try to prove that history incorrectly portrays her, and she isn't a figure to be looked up to.

Why not?
That's what happens to every other historical figure.

Oh, but it'll be done with a lot louder voices and more venom. I'll be watching my friends who were huge Obama-birther fans and still believe he's a Muslim born in Kenya, they'll likely be among the first to start circulating "historic corrections" about Tubman.

Ha! Don't be so quick to stereotype. I am 100% an admitted 'birther' and I just typed this comment two comments before yours.

It is possible to believe that just Obama -- ONLY OBAMA -- is a filthy piece of Establishment political garbage who did, in fact, present the public with a short form birth certificate bearing a fraudulent seal (it's true -- at least to my satisfaction because I verified it with the Hawaii Department of Health in an open records request)...AND...

...not be a total jack*ss racist , AND, AND...

..INSTEAD, just a pretty good judge of character and willing to do a little bit of investigative work.

I can't help but take exception to the generalization I think you were trying to make.

edit on 20-4-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

Oh, give it a rest.

Mystic in no way called you anything resembling a racist. Nor have I.

We merely agreed that there will be, indeed, people who don't like it for the very reason of the color of her skin. ...and you're smart enough to know that.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

If they have logical, reasonable arguments why someone else is more suitable -- then sure.

But generally, in my experience, the people who are racist have pretty weak arguments -- it's fairly easy to separate them from legitimate arguments.

If you ask a closet racist why they don't like Obama, they'll throw out a ton of really weakly understood and bizarre reasons that frankly don't make any logical sense. When you question or press them for details and specific policies/examples... they'll shut down and say something like, "I dunno, he's just a bad president!"

Even if you personally know this person well and know they have hidden racist tendencies, if you keep asking why they don't like Obama, they'll turn it around and use the reverse-racism victim card -- calling YOU a racist for making them feel uncomfortable with their own hidden racism.

It's a wonderful little circle that goes around and around as the closet racist continually tries to shift the focus away from themselves onto everyone else (including you). Deflect, blame, change the subject, repeat.

Sometimes I wonder if a memo, script or "how to" was distributed among these people, as they all seem to echo one another.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I find it odd that you'd point me out as one who does that...

Someone is against putting Tubman on the twenty. OK, why? It's that reasoning that will place the label on them, not me.

Are you against it? If you merely say yes, with no reasoning behind it, doesn't mean you're a bigot. ...and I'll never say so. I will ask you why you're against it, though.

If you just prefer Jackson, that in no way makes you a bigot/racist. There, I said it.

ya well that is the case, i feel his presence does more for anti-establishment then hers,

put her on the 50 for all i care, we shouldnt get rid of jackson

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Sounds like a good idea.

Cant wait to see the # storm though from the closet racists trying to come up with any excuse to be againt this

Why would one have to be a racist to be against it?

She is not more important to American history than Andrew Jackson, why didn't they just go through with replacing the banker sell out on the $10 with her?

Because it is symbolic, Jackson crushed the Central Bank before it got its claws hooked in. Hamilton was trying his damnedest to make it permanent.

Unless being anti" too big to fail" is now racist I fail to see your point!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Nor quite, as with most stereotyping, fair. There were a few Southern Democrats that were anti-Slavery.

Well it's not really stereotyping -- its a fact that the ideologies of the two parties have switched since the Civil War...?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

If they have logical, reasonable arguments why someone else is more suitable -- then sure.

But generally, in my experience, the people who are racist have pretty weak arguments -- it's fairly easy to separate them from legitimate arguments.

If you ask a closet racist why they don't like Obama, they'll throw out a ton of really weakly understood and bizarre reasons that frankly don't make any logical sense. When you question or press them for details and specific policies/examples... they'll shut down and say something like, "I dunno, he's just a bad president!"

Even if you personally know this person well and know they have hidden racist tendencies, if you keep asking why they don't like Obama, they'll turn it around and use the reverse-racism victim card -- calling YOU a racist for making them feel uncomfortable with their own hidden racism.

It's a wonderful little circle that goes around and around as the closet racist continually tries to shift the focus away from themselves onto everyone else (including you). Deflect, blame, change the subject, repeat.

Sometimes I wonder if a memo, script or "how to" was distributed among these people, as they all seem to echo one another.

it shouldnt be that difficult to give a reason why obama is a disgrace, one acronym NDAA, plus a ton of other horrible legislation for our country.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Replied to the wrong person, sort of ...

What you said is true enough. The two parties take ideological swings quite regularly.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Honestly, I could not care less what picture they want to put on their over-produced Federal Reserve Notes.

It really ought to have a monkey's ass on it..... you know the monkey that I am talking about. When you go to the zoo, there is always one monkey that has the biggest, reddest swollen ass and they seem like they just have to point it right at the visitors?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yeah, it's actually a looooong history if you take the time to read through it. It's actually quite fascinating where our parties started, and how they got to be where they are now. I learned some surprising things!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal
a reply to: introvert

if you are someone who doesnt give a damn then this thread does not want your presence, as it is a discussion for people who do give a damn,

are you actually in this thread for the sole purpose of telling people not to be in this thread? not to discuss this?

you dont care then leave, let those who do care discuss without you trying to make them not discuss.

your presence indicates you do actually give a damn despite your statement, if you truly dont give a damn why bother posting here.

Perhaps I felt compelled to point out how absurd it is to have to debate over such a silly topic. Considering that I am a member in good standing with the ability to post in any thread I wish, I will do so at my own leisure, despite those that may approach me in a childish manner, as you did.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
That's absolutely hilarious, they think they are gonna change the face on the most commonly used piece of currency, nobody is going to accept that, they will laugh at you when you hand them one and tell you get out of my store with that bogus crap.
edit on Wed20164V201631330 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join