It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former slave Harriet Tubman to be new face of US$20 bill: official

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:50 PM
link   
It's good. I don't have a problem with it. Jackson's been honored for years and decades. Time to move on and honor another. The only thing constant in life is change. If you're having this much trouble with who get's put on a $20 bill, I imagine some of you here have a very, very rough life. LOL Some of you need a hug.

edit on 20-4-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

Editing to add---the people starving in poor countries think you guys are a bunch of buffoons. LOL Let's concentrate on real problems.
edit on 20-4-2016 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Annoyingly, the first two sites I saw criticizing this move have been liberal sites. Ugh. Sometimes liberals annoy me, and I'm about as liberal as they get.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: syrinx high priest

Well, if the US hadn't taken that conquering view of indian lands and expansion, we'd almost certainly not have become the most prosperous country in the world, nor would we have squashed the Spanish expansion northward out of Mexico. Worked out pretty damn well for us and I'd be a hypocrite if I said I wish things hadn't happened as they did in that regard. I know I sure as hell wouldn't have wanted to grow up east of the Mississippi.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Former slave Harriet Tubman will be the new historical figure.

Better late than never i suppose. The U.S. starting to face up to it's past.

Next step should be to remove this nonsense from the 1791 US Bill of Rights

[Amendment V.] No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject, for the same offense, to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled, in any criminal case, to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation

oll.libertyfund.org...

Being deprived of your libery only applied to non-slaves. A complete joke of an ammendment.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I have no problem with this as long as they put Flavor-flav as the new face on the $1000.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

We do not presently have a $5 coin honoring anyone specific. We do have a $10 bill and the individual already on it, Hamilton, is worthy of retaining the honor. Hell, make it a $20 coin... I'm just saying there's no good reason to remove anyone already on a piece of currency for the US (except FDR, they can remove that rat bastard's bust from the dime anytime now with NO complaint from me.)

America: Where honoring one individual's accomplishments and returns to society simply MUST screw over someone else's.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   
There was popular opposition to replacing Hamilton on the 10. So they stopped that.

They then just arbitrarily decided to change the 20. Smart choice. If there was continued opposition, you get called a racist.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Smart choice. If there was continued opposition, you get called a racist.

Did you plagarize that from Obama's presidential cheat sheet on "publicly dealing with blunders?"

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

We do not presently have a $5 coin honoring anyone specific. We do have a $10 bill and the individual already on it, Hamilton, is worthy of retaining the honor. Hell, make it a $20 coin... I'm just saying there's no good reason to remove anyone already on a piece of currency for the US (except FDR, they can remove that rat bastard's bust from the dime anytime now with NO complaint from me.)

America: Where honoring one individual's accomplishments and returns to society simply MUST screw over someone else's.

How about the $10 bill? She's worthy of gracing it for 88 years, too.
edit on 20-4-2016 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DonVoigt
That's absolutely hilarious, they think they are gonna change the face on the most commonly used piece of currency, nobody is going to accept that, they will laugh at you when you hand them one and tell you get out of my store with that bogus crap.

On the contrary. I don't think most people will care as long as it spends. And most people won't even know who Harriet Tubman/Araminta Harriet Ross is. I will say some will question if it's real when it first comes out, just like they did with the Susan B. Anthony.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla

As other have said Harriet Tubman is certainly worthy of this honor, but on the flip side I don't believe Andrew Jackson is deserving of this kind of dishonor.

You don't?

This is the man who engineered the "Trail of Tears" and ruined countless lives and believed that slavery was morally acceptable. How is he not deserving of this kind of dishonor.

I propose a $20 bill with a picture of a black person and a native American pissing on Andrew Jackson's grave.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Ironically, you just summed this up perfectly. People who have strong feelings against a specific person (Jackson/FDR) will want them off of our currency. And others will think that person's accomplishments outweigh their faults, so they should remain on the currency. That perspective applies to both Jackson and FDR.

Personally, I'd love to see Malcolm X & Chief Osceola on one of our bills. And maybe Cesar Chavez and Anne Hutchinson, though I suspect Anne will be one of the women's rights figures on the back of the redesigned $10.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well, it didn't take long for this to become a hate-fest for Andrew Jackson.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Well, it didn't take long for this to become a hate-fest for Andrew Jackson.

Yeah, what people need to understand is that things change. At some point we aren't going to have Columbus Day anymore and we shouldn't. We won't have Andrew Jackson on the money and we shouldn't. Things change, our understanding of history changes and we CAN and should decide to honor different people at different times. In the end, it's not a big deal. It's a peace of paper. People are dying, people are getting sick, people are starving, people are being spied on, people are being discriminated against, people are being persecuted, Crimes are being committed, infrastructure is crumbling and yet...we chose the $20 bill to take our stand and show how passionate we are about our freedoms and injustices. No sense. Nonsense.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

The Susan B Anthony was not the most commonly piece of used currency, the public only accepted it as a novelty or coin collectors, like the 2 dollar bill . it was also a new coin, not an existing currency.
edit on Wed20164V201640530 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed20164V201641530 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing . . . and yet...we chose the $20 bill to take our stand and show how passionate we are about our freedoms and injustices. No sense. Nonsense.

It was either the 20 dollar bill or someone would start a hashtag twitter campaign.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing . . . and yet...we chose the $20 bill to take our stand and show how passionate we are about our freedoms and injustices. No sense. Nonsense.

It was either the 20 dollar bill or someone would start a hashtag twitter campaign.

You mean "Pound sign" Twitter campaign? LOL That's my war, my cross to bear. People may be starving but...It's a pound sign! don't those people understand?

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
a reply to: xuenchen

The funny thing about the $20 bill is that Andrew Jackson would have been piiiissed if he knew they put him on it. He was HIGHLY critical of central banks.

This is SOOOO true. He literally fired two Secretary of the Treasuries in order to find one willing to listen to his demand to close the Second Bank of the United States. Having put him on the $20 in the first place must have been some rich banker's way of snubbing him for what he did there. Conspiracy!

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Welp 5 pages in and dont see any racists ranting like several predicted earlier in the thread...

Personally I dont care... any good Jackson did earlier in his life was negated in the attempted genocide of the Cherokee and Choctaw. I dont believe he should be stricken form the history books or anything like that... but the truth of all he did should be taught.

posted on Apr, 20 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Just wait until we hear the "real history of Harriet Tubman" from the closet racists. They'll try to prove that history incorrectly portrays her, and she isn't a figure to be looked up to.

Why not?
That's what happens to every other historical figure.

Oh, but it'll be done with a lot louder voices and more venom. I'll be watching my friends who were huge Obama-birther fans and still believe he's a Muslim born in Kenya, they'll likely be among the first to start circulating "historic corrections" about Tubman.

The evidence would seem to point that your friends are correct. Do you not like that because you do not agree? I remember an interview on tv where Obama said he was a Muslim, straight from the horses mouth. How about the ex-secret service man who in his book, claims that as soon as the day was over, Obama would take off his suit and dress in full Muslim garb. Now he may or may not be either but as I said, the evidence overwhelmingly supports this. Not just on paper but in his decisions and who he sides with.

Now back on topic. I really do not care who is on the 20 dollar bill. I do think it is a PC move though as another poster stated. Give it time and Kate Jenner will be on a bill. Also you comment on 3, 2, 1 as far as racists wanting to do some research on her.. Well isn't that what ATS is about? I think any figure should have their past researched. But you seem to be saying that it is okay to do that, as long as it is not a black person. Anyway as I said, I am fine with them putting Harriet on the 20 because it really doesn't matter who is on it. It is still a 20 dollar bill and can still be spent just the same.

iTruthSeeker

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join