It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
i swear - the day is coming when :

"and the special snowflake prize for ` most offended ` goes to ................................. "

will be a real anouncement at a real ego-wank "event "

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Bleh. Awards like that are totally subjective and thus irrelevant for me. I know what I like. Some critic likes the froufrou restaurant with the broccoli frothed tofu and a bottle of chateauneuf du pape, I want a steak and baked potato and a beer.

Somebody like 'socially relevant' preachy crap at the movies? I want to see something blow up or something really funny (also subjective). Halls of Fame, Grammys, Academy Awards, Emmys, 5 star restaurants etc all the same

Michael Jordan the best ever? Only because you never saw Oscar Robertson.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Does it count as participating in a boycott if I never watch award shows anyway? The notion of artistic works and performances being exalted over or relative to others, or of any sort of competition between them, has never sat well with me. I value all of the performances I like, and respect those I don't.

I do agree that if we're going to have awards, assuming there were performances of merit by whatever standards and criteria they use, everyone should be represented equally or at least have an equal opportunity to receive such awards. And if that's not happening (I don't know the inner workings of the Academy) then I definitely disagree with that and feel it should change. Absolutely.

But I just can't care about the awards themselves.

Peace.
edit on 1/20/2016 by AceWombat04 because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

The fundamental point is that the art or the performance speaks for itself, regardless of color. To your point, no one can say Darius Rucker is not a tremendous talent, crossing several genres, and so he is duly lauded.

As for Hollywood, should lesser performances be considered in a year of great performances, simply because they are black?

Everyone cannot win the award (trophy) but, as we know, that is not PC in today's world. No, the thing is to dilute everything until it has no value whatsoever, that way no one can possibly get their feelings hurt.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Kramer vs Kramer won best picture over Apocalypse Now. It was right around then I realized once and for all, "The Academy's" opinions for what constituted Best anything were totally irrelevant to me.

My wife loves the Red Carpet stuff before the awards. I find that even less interesting. I'm usually in a post-NFL funk by Oscar time anyway, just biding time until the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Couldn't have said better myself.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You do know that the president of the academy awards is a black women named Cheryl Boone Issacs. It's funny that never gets mentioned in the news.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I mean what do you expect from an Academy consisting 90% white and 77% male? The problem is is that people care about this crap award. who the eff cares.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
youtu.be...

Bring humor back, that is what I miss most

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   
What I don't understand is why we all care what Hollywood thinks/wants. They rely on US to pay money to see their movies. If it wasn't for the fans, none of them would have a job.

I've never found acting hard, and probably could have been fairly successful at it. I simply hated the egos and cut throat nature of the business.

Seriously, it's adults playing make-believe in front of cameras, motion-capture suits and green screens. We all did it as kids, some people are just good at maintaining that skill into adulthood.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
This is ridiculous. Do white actors boycott the BET awards over lack of diversity? You can't have segregation and intergration at the same time.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
The animosity in some of these replies 😂

Let it all out folks!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: TheForced

That is absolutely their logic. "Even though that white actress was far better than the black actress, the award should go to the black actress", is EXACTLY what they're saying.

To give the gold medal for the 100m sprint to the man who comes seventh, in the spirit of 'diversity', is EXACTLY what these black stars are saying.

To suggest this is not EXACTLY the same thing, is wrong.

Good analogy.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
Seriously, it's adults playing make-believe in front of cameras, motion-capture suits and green screens. We all did it as kids, some people are just good at maintaining that skill into adulthood.

This is exactly why I think it's pretty hilarious when actors develop such bloated egos and get so worked up over themselves... it's just adults playing make-believe in front of a camera.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Ok people. Since the oscars are making people angry for lack of diversity should we have new catagories in each award specifically for each catagory but also have an award for blacks, hispanics, chinese, transgendered, physically disabled, gay, pre op, post op cross sex, those with an IQ below 78, deceased, people missing a limb, blondes, brunettes, gingers, baldies, muscular, non muscular, fat, skinny, androgynous, siamese twin, feel free to create new ones Ive lost track. Maybe just give an oscar to every star each year to make everyone happy. Not sure if the gay pedophilia mafia in hollywood would go for it though. Mmmmnnnkkkk...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: doclec
a reply to: Hecate666

Generalizations(stereotypes) are a downfall of intlligence. Once you find one instance of an opposite to the stereotype it destroys said pre-judgement. There are black folks terrible at sports and asians terrible at math...deny ignorance.

I do wish that people would read my posts and not just skim over them for trigger words.
I also dutifully noted that not everyone is included in generalisations. I also never spoke of race but only about culture.

With that out of the way, stereotypes are not planned. Nobody sitsa round tables plotting a stereotype for different people.
Life happens and we see patterns.
Our brains are hardwired to recognise patterns.

I have lived in three countries for a long time, long enough to assimilate and get to know stuff that you don't notice if you are just visiting. And for all it's worth, I was amazed how TRUE stereotypes are.

NO, NOT ALL PEOPLE FIT THE BILL.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Maybe some certain people would like a quota system lol. African Americans are about 13.2% of the US population, Latino and Hispanics are about 17.1%, so from now on all awards should be given at the rate of 13.2% and 17.1% respectively. And all other groups and such must be taken into account also for example Indigenous peoples of the Americas at 0.8% and it goes on and on... New Zealanders living in America are under represented and are being oppressed!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I keep hearing about how there isn't enough diversity but I don't hear about who they would replace in the nominations. Who was nominated that didn't deserve to be? There are many great actors and actresses out there of all colors and creeds but there are only so many that can be nominated for each category!

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Oscar Voters: 94% White, 76% Men, and an Average of 63 Years Old

This article came out almost 2 years ago, but nothing has changed. The "Academy" is a relic of the past. About all they are good for is letting someone in their inner circles leak DVD screeners to PirateBay.

Funny thing about statistics when they use the word "White" is it also includes Hispanics and Jews.
I'd bet anything half of the white people voting are actually Jewish which is a religion when it suits or a race when that suits.
Hollywood was started by Jewish filmmakers and the tradition hasn't changed much.

posted on Jan, 21 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
What's great about this, is watching hollyweird, who for decades has been happy supporters of the liberal cry of "WACIST !!!" against all conservatives / GOP.....getting called racists themselves, for the outrage du jour. They are not happy about it.

Almost as good as watching a progressive wonk like Sanders get overrun by BLM clowns....or the universities getting their own heaping helping of it.

The "blame everybody but myself, for my own failures" was bound to eventually fall on the idiots who invented and enabled it all these years. Schadenfreude is not a strong enough description of the feeling of pleasure that this gives me.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join