It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Actors Call For Oscars Boycott Over Lack Of Diversity

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

The original Mom from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was calling out Jada Pinkett and Spike Lee (mostly Jada Pinkett) on Twitter, saying shame on her for causing a stink about this, and that it's only because Jada didn't get nominated for anything. (I'm sure she still has resentment toward Big Willy Smith from being fired from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)

who even knows though

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: daveinats

Oh wow, are the whiners the ones that played in the NWA movie?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

No...? But Leo seems totally incapable of winning an Oscar. I think he must have made an enemy in Hollywood or something, as he should have won at least one by now...

I agree! The first time I saw him was in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". After it came out people were asking

"But how did they get that mentally retarded boy to remember all those lines!" lol.
For a while into the film I also thought he was 'intellectually challenged'. He was so freaking amazing! I thought he should have won a "Best Supporting" for that.

Anyway, probably off-topic, but just saying. It does seem like they have something against him, although I hear the reported 'raped by a bear' movie is quite excellent. Might be his turn.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The two best examples I have seen were Michael B. Jordan (aka Wallace) for Creed and Idris Elba (aka Stringer Bell)
for Beasts of No Nation.
I saw Creed and Wallace did a good job, but not "oscar-worthy"
Haven't seen B.O.N.N. yet, but the fact that Stringer Bell wasn't nominated probably shouldn't cause all this ruckus.
The fact that the people boycotting only have two good examples speaks volumes to me.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Forgive me, but is this not a case of a "1st World Problem"?

Different groups of wealthy artists are fighting over who is entitled to win awards they grant to themselves...and we are supposed to care?

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I think what's really important here, a day after MLK day, is that we remember how he wanted people to awarded based on the color of their skin, and not the content of their character. Who cares what Spike or Jada have to say? They're stars? Really??? Apparently the BET award are lame, so they need the Oscars? Maybe they should demand that everyone watch, and care about, the BET awards!

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
You have most of the sports championships because you earned it. Now you bitching bout not having the most Oscars? Can a white boy have something? Fine here take your stupid Oscars next year and just remember you got them so we don't have to hear you bitch.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Well, you know....

...kids now get trophies for showing up at organized sports games...not for winning...

And affirmative action...we all know how well that works...

Why the hell not. Let's just unilaterally pick winners based off of skin color...

In everything. Not just the Oscars.

...Rather than make better movies...

that appeal to a broader demographic.

I'm offended there were no white nominees at the BET awards

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Tsubaki

Lol I'm 30yo and I got participation trophies when I was a kid....been happening for years.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
If you are not happy about not being nominated then maybe you should be a better actor.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I just love how racist these people are being... Then pointing this out shows all they think about is race.

I've mentioned about BET, OMG when I was about 10yo...why do they have their own network?

An affirmative action network out seems. Until we take color out of everything we will never get past seeing race

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Here's why no black nominees -

"Straight Outta Compton" - gang-banging garbage.

"Creed" - SOS "Rocky", again

"Concussion" - "Frontline" did a two-hour program on the real deal. Infinitely superior to any Hollyweird version.

"Chiraq" - Do we really need another violent gang movie?

When they come up with something fresh and artistic maybe people will pay attention.
edit on 1/19/2016 by Restricted because: Forgot something.

edit on 1/19/2016 by Restricted because: Ditto.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TheForced

"That's different ,thats different." Is the only defence you will hear for this and the ignorance will continue

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Dear oh dear....

The last time I looked there were few black people in the running. It's not the Oscar committees fault that black people are cast less often then white folk. It's not the Oscar committees fault that white actors stole the show.

However it's a bummer that the dude who played Eazy E in Straight outta compton didn't get a nod as I've heard nothing but good things about his performance.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Come on people.... you all know its true!

When you watch a great Film... you may see one guy or girl who isn't white supporting the Lead... I'm not saying they need to be Black... they could be latino, Indian or Mixed Race even and there's hardly any Mixed Race Actors in Films! It's even worse in England in Films or TV... much harder to get recognised over here.

having said this, I have seen more Actors of color in TV Series (USA) so that has changed (except in the UK of course). Actually I dont watch British TV anymore so I wouldn't know but Films in the UK definately lack great Actors of Colour!

I'll let you know in a future post if my thoughts have changed.

One thing I don't agree with is segregation in this industry... when taking drama classes you don't have segregation, so why does it happen once out of that class and looking for roles? Ethnicity shouldn't matter because anyone can act any role if they put their mind to it.. for instance a Mixed race or black guy who is English could play James Bond as he is a fictional character! The only instance where Ethnicity matters is when its a Biographical Film.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

"Creed"- Sylvester Stallone got a nomination for his role.

""Straight Outta Compton"" - the screen writers got a nomination.

Until Denzel Washington gets an Oscar for Malcolm X, as a poster stated, the oscar are only about politics.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
blacks don't get Oscars in movies that don't have a white savior or unless they are playing a slave, maid, bad guy, or some person below what a white man is. If you can think of one without those characteristics then I am all ears, Straight out of compton wouldn't get one because the white savior ended up not being one and the blacks did it all by themselves.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I can't help but believe that omission of artist of color from the Oscars 2 years in a row is a purposeful statement. What it's saying, I have no idea. But you can bet, no pun intended, what ever message the Academy is sending, it's politically motivated...imho, of course.

My husband and I discussed this last night came to the same conclusion -- it's political.

For example, I'm sure the NFL isn't happy about Will Smith's movie, "Concussion." I'm sure they don't want it to get any more attention than possible as they gear up for the Super Bowl in a couple weeks... Lots of folks making lots of money off this game. Can't have reality mucking up the works.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Broad gets mad that her husband didn't get nominated. Plays the race card. Newsflash, story at 11.

If hollyweird and the oscars show had any guts, they would just slip in an oscar for Will Smith. No reason, no explanation. Awarded solely for his wife's bitching and racist pap. That would be great.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

The original Mom from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was calling out Jada Pinkett and Spike Lee (mostly Jada Pinkett) on Twitter, saying shame on her for causing a stink about this, and that it's only because Jada didn't get nominated for anything. (I'm sure she still has resentment toward Big Willy Smith from being fired from Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)

who even knows though

THIS....lol.

The lady recounts Will Smith telling everybody else to take a hike, when they asked him for support to get the "untouchables caste" better pay and conditions.

What goes around.....karma in the house....

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join