It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nunchucks chosen as a nonlethal alternative for California police dept

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Nunchaku are classified by law as deadly weapons. Besides being used as leverage to break bones, dislocate joints or choke people by applying leverage…

people have no idea how fierce their striking power is.

Great demo vid.

It is from the show "Deadliest warrior."

The scientist is there to tell you that hes dead in a few strikes. If you didnt get the hint.

Seems like they got bored with their batons....

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Thats probably why they'll allow cops to carry them. The general public has no idea the force they can impart.

Oh yah, sure, just another riot tool on the belt.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

first, i was underwhelmed by the video. I was looking for some bruce lee nunchuk skills. They were more like Napolean Dynamite.

That said: this is stupid. What the hell is wrong with the political apparatus in California?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Well, I don't have any issues with them being used, as they wouldn't be any worse than a baton. However, my first reaction was to laugh. I have seem people learning to use these things, and wow, it can be painful for the learner!! I hope thy get good training!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Incorrect.

Striking someone is a force measurement: mass x acceleration. The joint in the nunchuk allows the end to gain much more acceleration. A whip like action.

You can annihilate someones skull with a single strike.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

The eskrima club I belong to gets invited to instruct the local police force with baton technique occasionally.

I strongly feel the baton is adequate, and the potential harm with a nunchaku is greater without a high degree of skill.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I have been trained to use nun chucks and I don't know about them being non lethal. You get hit in the wrong place with them (which isn't hard to do in a fight with a moving person) you CAN kill them. Its like taking a small baseball bat to someone putting it on a chain then flinging it around. What are the chances it could kill them? Not too shabby really.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The second video in the OP made a good point. Not only with protestors, but people on adrenaline or drugs may not feel pain as easily as other. Without the correct feedback when applying force, an officer can easily overdo it and accomplish the very thing they intended not to do. Injure a person who does not comply with their instructions.

I do not agree,this is a terrible idea for a weapon to be used by police...there is much more risk of harm to both the officer and the victim/perp....

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
What is wrong with men?

One can tell that you are turned on by this lethal weapon...or any other for that matter.

Why all the violence and destruction?

Are you turned on by that too?

Is anyone surprised that this civilization is exterminating itself, just because men can't let go of their juvenile desires?

#ing grow up!
edit on Tue Oct 27 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

first, i was underwhelmed by the video. I was looking for some bruce lee nunchuk skills. They were more like Napolean Dynamite.

That said: this is stupid. What the hell is wrong with the political apparatus in California?

That's what 16 hours of training will get you.

California: A progressive freak show.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Starling

That might be one of the finest examples of misandry that I have ever seen.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What we are going to have is a bunch of unskilled cops twirling lumber around their heads knocking themselves stupid and blaming the poor guy they pulled over for it. What really amazes me is they think adding velocity to a baton will make it less lethal...

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
absolutely potentially lethal, depends where the blows are aimed. but i suppose i'd rather chance nunchuks than a bullet if push came to shove. the police force is mostly 'force'.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

I strongly agree with lucid lunacy here. the dm24 aka tonfa is plenty good enough. it has a much more variable spectrum of force from mild to relatively unpleasant. the main point of the tool is that it unlike a nunchku can be dialed from 1 to a10 and back to 1 again. a nunchku not so much. give me a rettan stick any day over a nunchuku.

as a fellow eskrimador (pekiti and doce) I feel baton and stick is the way to go. nunchuku Iis just a stupid idea. and in real life application tactically hamstringing.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Flail weapons by nature are difficult to control when YOU KNOW what you're doing with them.
COPS?
Please.
edit on 27-10-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Starling

I guess the superior woman must save us all then...as if.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Starling
What is wrong with men?

One can tell that you are turned on by this lethal weapon...or any other for that matter.

Why all the violence and destruction?

Are you turned on by that too?

Is anyone surprised that this civilization is exterminating itself, just because men can't let go of their juvenile desires?

F'ucking grow up!

Hysterical that you accuse men of being juvenile...

With a post like this.

Grow up indeed.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Well, that makes sense. So why are they claiming these would be less painful than a baton?

Seems a bit off.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

So why are they claiming these would be less painful than a baton?

For the same reason they shouldn't be using them. They lack sufficient training.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

as a fellow eskrimador (pekiti and doce) I feel baton and stick is the way to go. nunchuku Iis just a stupid idea. and in real life application tactically hamstringing.

I'm confident they will agree with that sentiment soon enough themselves!!

I study San Miguel style Doce Pares

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join