It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nunchucks chosen as a nonlethal alternative for California police dept

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

"The Anderson Police Department is implementing the police nunchaku as a tool to more effectively arrest, control, and subdue non-compliant suspects," Anderson Police Chief Michael Johnson told NBC News. "The nunchaku can be deployed to more compassionately gain compliance from a suspect through pain application opposed to striking, as customary with the side-handled or straight baton."

Source

Ironically, nunchucks are still considered illegal in California, except for martial arts schools and now this small law enforcement unit in Anderson, California. They had been previously used by American police departments in the past, but after a federal lawsuit by anti-abortion protesters, it was deemed an unfavorable weapon. Take a look...

I'll go out on a limb and say that if used correctly, they could potentially subdue an individual without causing major injury. Do I think that will happen? Not sure, but the potential for abuse is huge. They are already carrying lethal force, so this doesn't make them any more scary and in my opinion, there isn't much more a nunchuck can do that a baton can't.

There are techniques that can be used to lock the wrist or ankle during a scuffle, but at that point, I doubt the officer is going to play nice. They are supposed to reduce the beating it would take to subdue you by applying pressure, not blunt force. Let's hope these officers stick to the plan and use them in the most humane way possible.

What do you think, should officers be allowed to use nunchucks?

edit on 27-10-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
What possible situation has come up that requires the need for 20 trained nun chuck wielding police officers? I'm starting to think the world revolves around ideas pulled out of a hat.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

From Source:

If officers do decide to carry nunchucks, they’ll be required to pass a 16-hour training course

16 god damn hours...

It takes years to master this weapon.

They should at least have to earn a Black Belt in the Arts...not just strap on a Blue Belt.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Hell why not ...may as well give the knuckle dusters while they are at it

Kitting these guys out with more weaponry is kind of pointless,there really needs to be a whole lot more training with the weapons they have already so they can become competent with them......

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran
What possible situation has come up that requires the need for 20 trained nun chuck wielding police officers? I'm starting to think the world revolves around ideas pulled out of a hat.

maybe Shredder and The Foot Clan?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Right now Steven Segal is on Zillow looking for property in Anderson with a huge stiffy!!
They must have watched Kung Fury and got some ideas!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I can't wait for all the videos of cops hitting themselves in the nuts or on the backs of their heads.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Like I said, if you're already that close to an officer and decide to get jumpy, consider their 16 hours of training null and void. It doesn't take much for these new breed of officers to feel threatened, just look at all the school children they beat up for noncompliance.

edit on 27-10-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Pain application. Mmhmm.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Meh, 16 hours of nunchucks training, won't do any good if in dire circumstances.

The weapon will be used just like your regular cop-stick. You can't really hurt anyone with just 16 hours of training...lolz

Well unless your got some good nunchucks skill.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I see blunt force trauma death cases against this department in the future.

Why stop there, why not carry a medieval mace? It's the same principle, you only need to replace the spike ball with a solid rod.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
I can't wait for all the videos of cops hitting themselves in the nuts or on the backs of their heads.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Please let Napoleon Dynamite train them. He has mad skills.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The second video in the OP made a good point. Not only with protestors, but people on adrenaline or drugs may not feel pain as easily as other. Without the correct feedback when applying force, an officer can easily overdo it and accomplish the very thing they intended not to do. Injure a person who does not comply with their instructions.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Poetry in motion! LMAO

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Cowabunga!

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
One of the dumbest things I've seen come down the pike in a while.

I'll take a pass on that, thanks very much.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Nunchaku are classified by law as deadly weapons. Besides being used as leverage to break bones, dislocate joints or choke people by applying leverage…

people have no idea how fierce their striking power is.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
One of the dumbest things I've seen come down the pike in a while.

I'll take a pass on that, thanks very much.

Not only does this send a really bad message, I'm not sure what gap in the force spectrum it's filling. Any of this stuff you could do with a PR24, and with a lot less training to be proficient.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I'm not sure what gap in the force spectrum it's filling. Any of this stuff you could do with a PR24, and with a lot less training to be proficient.

Nunchaku provide more reach than batons or tonfa, can be used to disarm an opponents weapon, use as painful come along, choke someone and direct magnified force from a strike that can't be achieved with a baton or tonfa.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join