It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOX News: Transgender girl drops class after 200 protest for and against her.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Not all of us did.

But as has been pointed out - Very often, even when we respectfully disagree, WE are the unfeeling bigots no matter how we present our concerns. The only insecurities that are important in issues like these are the ones of the transperson. I am not saying you do that, but there are others, not even transpeople AFAIK, on this board who do this.

It does tend to make us upset after a while.

I am tired of being called a bigot simply for disagreeing.
edit on 1-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Not all of us did.

But as has been pointed out - Very often, even when we respectfully disagree, WE are the unfeeling bigots no matter how we present our concerns. The only insecurities that are important in issues like these are the ones of the transperson. I am not saying you do that, but there are others, not even transpeople AFAIK, on this board who do this.

It does tend to make us upset after a while.

I am tired of being called a bigot simply for disagreeing.

That's why I said at the bottom of my post that it should be obvious if it applies to whoever is reading it.

It's totally okay to disagree (I don't think letting a girl with a penis shower with other girls is the best solution, either) but some on here are extremely cruel about it and use it as an excuse to throw in a couple of extra punches. You know what I'm talking about and I know you've seen it.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

a reply to: JadeStar

She had a separate facility for her use. She chose not to use it.

I can understand why the rest of the girls would not want to use the locker room with an anatomical male.

yup. im with you.
i dont give a # about this girl boys problems.
if my daughter was made to use the girls room with a boy who thinks/feels like a girl but has a pecker, i would be livid.
thats about the size of it.

Why would you be livid? Do you think this trans individual would do something horrible to your child?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

With all due respect (and I do mean that) it goes both ways. Some of the people who think the trans person should use the girls' facilities have called dissenters ignorant, stupid and bigoted.

People ought to express their opinions respectfully, and those opinions ought to be received respectfully.

End of story.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

ONCE AGAIN

Please remain on topic.

The topic of the thread is the OP....not each other.

IF you see a post that is a problem:ALERT IT.

Do NOT reply to it.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Someone help the poor kid with his hair for gods sake.

If that was my son I sure would help him.
edit on 053030p://bTuesday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
If anyone is really more interested in this issue, download the HRC's 68 page PDF Schools in Transition: A guide for supporting transgender students in K-12 Schools

It covers bathroom and locker room issues and suggests how the best way to handle them is and so much more on ways to make transgender and non-transgender students be comfortable and stay in school. That's really what's important here.

This whole issue brings strong feelings out on both sides and it is hard to think there is ever going to be a one-size-fits-all solution.

I can see both sides of the argument in the case posted in the OP but there are certain facts that are unknown that all have us have probably jumped to conclusions on. When news reporting is little more than a piss poor soundbyte who can ever know what is truly going on these days.

In spite of having some firsthand experience in a similar situation, I sure as heck don't have any answers that work for everyone all the time.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
And I thought you could still have male genitalia and be considered trans.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

I can understand why the rest of the girls would not want to use the locker room with an anatomical male.

yup. im with you.
if my daughter was made to use the girls room with a boy who thinks/feels like a girl but has a pecker, i would be livid.

Why would you be livid? Do you think this trans individual would do something horrible to your child?

i dont think the trans student would more likely to do anything to my daughter.
this trans student has a pecker. my daughter dont.
my daughter(and all the other girls with no peckers) should not be made to feel uncomfortable because 1 student does not identify with the parts they have.
right or wrong thats how i feel.

my concern is for my daughter. no concern at all for the trans student and his/her feelings. absolutely none

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I can see why she wants to use the girls locker room and I can see why some girls might be uncomfortable. This is a tough one. Personally, when I was in high school, I wouldn't have cared but my daughter would be completely freaked out by having (like it or not) a still anatomically male young man in the locker room seeing her naked. Everyone is different, but I think a lot teenaged girls and their parents would be uncomfortable with that. In this case, I think majority should rule and this young lady loses out. Not fair for her, but she is the exception here and should not expect these other girls and their families to cater to that. Their feelings matter too.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

yup. im with you.

Why do people keep making this statement. Has nothing to do with fear of hurting. It's a question designed to basically turn the tables and take away from the fact some girls do not want to shower or dress with people who have body parts opposite of their own. Very valid reasons. Some girls it's hard enough to be in a setting changing with those who have the same body parts. So really, spare us the "what's the trans going to do" questions. Doesn't matter. Terrible attempt to deflect from the issue.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

yup. im with you.

All right. I'll bite.

I have a boy. Know what? If I were to find out that someday he was using the locker with an untransitioned transperson. I'd be livid. He'd be a teenage boy at that point sharing a locker room with an anatomical girl! Do you understand the trouble that could invite? For the transperson and for the boys?!

It doesn't matter how good those boys might be ... you have a mob of naked, adolescent boys (and their raging adolescent hormones) in a shower with one naked anatomical female.

You do the math and tell me what could go horribly wrong with that situation.

edit on 1-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Stormdancer, I don't think anyone is disputing that the person is trans. The debate is whether or not there should be a penis in the girls' locker room/showers, since many of them are uncomfortable with the situation (just as the trans person was uncomfortable changing in a room full of penises.) Ironic when you think about it.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

yup. im with you.

Why do people keep making this statement. Has nothing to do with fear of hurting. It's a question designed to basically turn the tables and take away from the fact some girls do not want to shower or dress with people who have body parts opposite of their own. Very valid reasons. Some girls it's hard enough to be in a setting changing with those who have the same body parts. So really, spare us the "what's the trans going to do" questions. Doesn't matter. Terrible attempt to deflect from the issue.

exactly right.
im a male and i had a hard time having to change and shower in front of other guys. so much so that i stopped doing it and took a zero in phys ed all through school. i just wasnt having it.

kids of this age are still figuring themselves out. a lot of them are self conscious about their bodies and have a hard time being exposed around others with the same parts as them.
now they are expected to deal with even more by having them be exposed in front of a person with the opposite pats but feels like them mentally???????

yeah, i dont think so.

this trans students and his/her parents should figure it out.
my daughter should not have to adapt and overcome cause of this 1 students feelings.

maybe instead of 200 students having to adapt and overcome, this 1 student should. if they can't, oh well.
take a zero. drop out. get a 100% pass cause theyre different. home school.
i dont really care

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

no reason to bite at the baited question.
this 1 person needs to figure it out. the other 200 seem to have it ironed out.

majority rules and all that

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

All I can see is yet one more reason why we aren't putting ours in public schools.

I have nothing against this kid and her dilemma until she thinks it's fair to inconvenience 200 of her classmates just to make herself feel better. I think she has every right to expect reasonable accommodation and the school offered her that with the separate facility. And we can revisit this issue when she makes the full transition.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

Did someone say you couldn't? Other then in the article?

Not all transgenders have surgery.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here
The debate is whether or not there should be a penis in the girls' locker room/showers, since many of them are uncomfortable with the situation (just as the trans person was uncomfortable changing in a room full of penises.) Ironic when you think about it.

The state laws says yes.

Student is allowed to use the facility they identify with. By law.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join