It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOX News: Transgender girl drops class after 200 protest for and against her.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Trans student drops class after 200 protest for and against her. - fox2now.com

People should not be forced to drop out of school or jeopardize their education and future because of how they were born.

I was lucky in that I had my family's support and other than one objection which went away after meeting my parents and I, my schools support as well. That is why I was able to focus on my studies.

Others who live in more regressive parts of the country, like this girl are not so lucky.

I can only imagine what I'd have had to go through in a place like that. The fact that this still goes on today means things are not where they should be.

I have told this story before but I met a girl who like me was born different but her parents didn't allow her to be herself and so she was a very depressed and angry child who had to go through male puberty and had to spend a ton of money countering the effects of that when she finally was able to transition after she left home.

Unfortunately her story is different than mine. Instead of going to college she dropped out and does online sex work via webcam after struggling to find a regular job that paid well enough to fund her transition.

I can't respond immediately (off to class) but I will later this evening.
edit on 1-9-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

+59 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

She had a separate facility for her use. She chose not to use it.

I can understand why the rest of the girls would not want to use the locker room with an anatomical male.
edit on 1-9-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I can understand why the rest of the girls would not want to use the locker room with an anatomical male.

Wow.

+31 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I can agree. She/he still had all of the male bits and pieces. That would make things a bit awkward, would it not?

+50 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: THEatsking

Wow.

Wow, what?

If it's wrong to force the transgender to use the male facility because she feels uncomfortable being in with anatomical males who identify as males despite being an anatomical male herself, then isn't it equally wrong to force the anatomical females who identify as female to share their space with an anatomical male, too?

The best the school could come up with here on all sides was to offer the transgender a space for herself.

Maybe it would be different if we were talking about someone who was fully transitioned.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I can understand why she wants to try and fit in. It's hard enough being a teenager without having to deal with this on top of everything. She didn't choose to be a transgender person.

Locker rooms suck big time anyway. They should have separate shower stalls with separate dressing rooms for each teen. I don't mind my taxes going up to pay for it. I absolutely hated to endure public showers and changing clothes in front of ANYONE, boy or girl. It's barbaric.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
such is life.

people seldom see both side of the stories on these topics.

the complications don't affect just one person, but often many who need to change their ways for someone else to fit.

its not fair that she had to go as far as drop out.

She is still physically a male, (I never thought I would say something like this in my lifetime)
so I can understand why other female students staged a peaceful 'walk-out'.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Your OP could use some work.

The source link says the Transgender dropped out of PE class, because other girls felt uncomfortable using the same bathroom to change in.

The school walk out by students involved those against the child's choice to drop out and those for it.

Okay: let us hear you solution on this: a transgender child, still equipped with male anatomy, should they still use the girl's locker/bathroom, or should they use the male one?

Or should transgender have their own facility to change in?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Where was that information? I watched the video and read the article but didnt see any mention.
edit on 1-9-2015 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TerminalVelocity

The source I read earlier sounded like she had been offered her own facility.

Ah, nevermind, she used the faculty restroom.

High school senior Lila Perry said she’s known she was transgender since she was 13. Last February, she decided to come out. She didn’t take gym class that semester and used the gender-neutral faculty restroom. But this year, Perry said she wanted to fit in with the rest of the girls, so she started using the girls’ bathroom and locker room.

fox2now.com...

However, if the faculty restroom locks, it can double at least for changing although showering would be an issue.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: THEatsking

Wow.

Wow, what?

If it's wrong to force the transgender to use the male facility because she feels uncomfortable being in with anatomical males who identify as males despite being an anatomical male herself, then isn't it equally wrong to force the anatomical females who identify as female to share their space with an anatomical male, too?

The best the school could come up with here on all sides was to offer the transgender a space for herself.

Maybe it would be different if we were talking about someone who was fully transitioned.

No. If those girls feel uncomfortable they can go change somewhere else. No one is restricted them to change in a girls locker room. The trans girl wants to change in a girls locker room. It's simple. She is the one being restricted, not the others. The solution isn't to make transgender people their own 'black water fountain' . That's insane.

The solution is to teach that she is a female, period. That's the way it is and those who are annoyed/uncomfortable to need get over themselves and stop being selfish. It's so exclusive. Disgusting.

+59 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: THEatsking

But biologically she isn't female so why would they teach them that?

They don't teach you in school that the kid who thinks he's a wizard really is a wizard. You don't have to act paralyzed when he casts a spell on you so as to not shatter his fragile world.

+43 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Oh, I see, so because one person wants to do things their way ... everyone else has to change.

That's not how it works. See. I have migraines and fluorescent lights are a trigger factor for me. If we did things the way you suggest, there would be NO fluorescent lights, and yet, I seem to remember our congress passing a law that took away one safe lighting option for me in favor of compact fluorescent lighting.

No, it's not always that everyone else has the problem. Sometimes, you have to accept that you will need to accommodate everyone else because, like it or not, you are different.

Oh and, 200 girls did go elsewhere ... they walked out. That is the point of the OP.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla

But biologically she isn't female so why would they teach them that?

They don't teach you in school that the kid who thinks he's a wizard really is a wizard. You don't have to act paralyzed when he casts a spell on you so as to not shatter his fragile world.

Are you seriously comparing gender identity issues to kids make believing themselves as wizards? Seriously?

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

This would seem to be the way of it.

People need to learn that they have no, and should not have any control, over whether or not they are exposed to truths they do not approve of, that reality is not dictated by shallow understanding of the synergy of biology and neurology, as held by those who disapprove and have failed to educate themselves on the topic.

Real life is not a mundane progression, but has branches and tracks as numerous and varied as the pathways of nerves through the body, or bolts of lightning in the sky. A fundamental inability to accept those twists and turns proves that humanity still has some way to go, before any member of it, no matter whether they live where there is no running water, or whether they have broadband internet on tap, can truly consider themselves intellectually advanced as a species.
edit on 1-9-2015 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removal

+20 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

"It wasn`t too long ago white people were saying I don`t feel comfortable sharing a bathroom with a black person and history repeats itself." said Lila Perry.

This quote doesn't make sense. You can't even compare the two. Black men and women who shared a restroom or locker were the same sex. They didn't go masquerading around in opposite sex clothing sharing the same utilities . His mental perspective of women could still be the same! (Catlin Jenner still likes women, so I can completely understand how women would fill uncomfortable sharing a locker room or bathroom with him/her). This kid didn't even make a complete physical transformation.

Young women have the right to be uncomfortable with this situation. You have to wonder why he stopped using the separate facility to get dressed.

edit on 1-9-2015 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-9-2015 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

+30 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
OP in another thread I remember you telling someone that was pre op that you would be uncomfortable with them sharing a bathroom with you.

I feel bad that someone has a hardship like this, but making everyone else uncomfortable for their comfort isn't the answer.

+20 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

People having a normal reaction to something isn't regressive.
Common sense and logic isn't regressive.

The majority of people don't have to change for an obscenely miniscule subset of people.

posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
In a few hundred years no one will care what sex organs you have or who you love. We'll hopefully just accept we're all human first and foremost.

It's all just social programming.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
How about someone like me? I was a shy teen girl who was uncomfortable changing clothes in front of other girls, yet I was told to suck it up and do it anyway. Talk about unfair treatment! And I wasn't allowed to drop gym class (I would have loved to).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join