It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CDC is investigating a vomiting passenger at Newark, NJ, airport. Believed to be from Liberia

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

It's definitely damage control. I think they do a preliminary test but the final test takes 72 hours.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Well, just today, the CDC stated that only one Ebola case existed in the US--Patient Z. The flight from Brussels would make a fool out of Freaky.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: drwill

I heard that, too. And just the other day one of the talking heads mentioned that Zmapp would be available in a few months. I had been under the impression that the serum supply had been exhausted.

Source: CNN

Supplies are exhausted. ZMAPP is produced from a genetically-modified tobacco plant and extracted from the leaves. It takes at least three more months to grow another crop for extraction.

www.nytimes.com... 014/10/02/world/us-to-increase-production-of-experimental-drug-but-may-not-meet-demand.html?_r=0

We will need hundreds of acres of this, not just one greenhouse research facility, before there is enough to treat the current demand in Africa alone.
edit on 4-10-2014 by lakesidepark because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: DirtyD

Or China...the Chinese people who are more and more involved in Africa.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
There's a petition up at whitehouse.gov calling for President Obama to halt commercial air traffic between ebola stricken countries and the United States.

This isn't my petition and I'm not soliciting signatures. Just thought y'all should know.

[petition link removed]
edit on 10/4/2014 by Josephus because: fixing link

edit on Sat Oct 4 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DirtyD
a reply to: MrLimpet

Its good to see everybody is taking the necessary precautions before boarding the airplane. Those little blue gloves are going to do a lot of good.

If the patient has already been removed then they are safe!

Ebola is not spread by magic death rays people.

You need to show symptoms before your infectious.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: spacedog1973
People talking about banning flights in and out of Liberia are being a little naive. People can travel out of the country and get a connecting flight through other means. This includes bus, train and private plane for those with money. People then get a flight at the nearest operating airport. If people need/want to get somewhere, then they will.

In the UK during one of the big snowed under years, airports were closed - this lead to people getting the eurostar, a spike in ferry use and people getting flights from other airports. This is what people do.

Any containment of a disease is only as good as the controls at the point of entry. People here talking about Ebola symptoms are still not getting it. You can have Ebola domant and not display any symptoms at all until later. If they are simply looking for symptoms, they are doing it wrong. All entrants into a country should be screened regardless of what flight they got. People can get out of a containment zone without using indirect and direct flights, but by using trains, buses, boats, walking, cars and then later in their journey get a plane which has no direct or indirect links to a contaminated region and so cannot be traced.

It just shows how difficult it is to contain such a problem and the difficulties that ANY country would and is having in doing so despite their best intentions. If it was loose in the US, it would spread like wildfire.

Well thats pretty easy.

Block anyone with a passport from those infected country's, regardless of there the flight was from.

Problem solved.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The subject was vomiting and ill.

I would say that is showing symptoms, and contagious.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SSimon
a reply to: DirtyD

Or China...the Chinese people who are more and more involved in Africa.

This for sure!! They are all over Africa and it's natural resources but have we heard word one from them about this?

That's a thread.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
a reply to: seeker1963

Oh, I imagine so.

The authorities could put a stop to all of this if they just cut-off flights in and out of Liberia. Why take the chance of this spreading globally?

We kind of have an important law called the constitution, that says the government cannot restrict your freedom to travel.

I guess individual airlines could not offer service from Liberia, but that would be totally up to them.

You also have powers of emergency that can suspend constitutional right temporarily when the USA is under threat.

You know....so your country doesn't end up collapsing due to war or diseases.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

The Washington Post asked "Why Hasn't the U.S. Closed its Airports to Travelers from Ebola-Ravaged Countries,"
but answers the question with canned rhetoric.
WP: Don't fret. Ebola can only be passed via body fluids.
Comment: Body fluids are commonly found inside an airplane. Saliva, etc.

Several comments are worth reading.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
or just deny visas to those from the infected countries .

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

Please reread.

It said the patient was removed before the immigration officials came on board.

Therefore if the one showing systems was GONE then they were not at risk.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: megabogie

And go against reason, logic and PC standards? Why never!

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

They were at risk and still are (could develop symptoms from 3-21 days from now). Anyone within a few feet of his sneezes could have inhaled it. Or touched a surface he touched.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Update: Ebola scare in NJ over, apparently: www.latimes.com...=1

2nd
a reply to: MrLimpet

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Block anyone with a passport that has a stamp from Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, the Comgo, or any other affected area if that exit stamp has a date of a month or less.

That is very simple to do. If they bother to check the passport beyond the last point of departure at least. And, if they do get that exit stamp at departure...hard to do leaving by plane, but easy to do when leaving by vehicle...or foot.

I remember getting the third degree going INTO Mexico because the last time I had left Mexico by car, I didn't get the exit stamp...cost me a good bribe to get back in!

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

I've started the 21 day countdown too. October 21st. Let's see what happens between now and then.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: megabogie

Deny visas. No way we live in Bizzaro world now.

According to Jessica Vaughn, director of policy studies at the Center for Immigration studies: “Based on State Department nonimmigrant visa issuance statistics, I estimate that there are about 5,000 people in Guinea, 5,000 people in Sierra Leone, and 3,500 people in Liberia who possess visas to come to the United States today,”

Rep. Alan Greyson (D-Fla) has been calling for an air traffic ban to and from Ebola stricken countries since July.

Thankfully Ebola has seemingly been quelled in Nigeria as they are the most abundant holders of US visas (195,000). Hopefully Ebola does not reemerge there as they posses direct flights into the United States leaving fewer chances of catching potentially infected passengers.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: BlueAjah

Please reread.

It said the patient was removed before the immigration officials came on board.

Therefore if the one showing systems was GONE then they were not at risk.

The man was symptomatic while the plane was in the air. He asked the man in the seat next to him to get the flight attendant because he felt ill. The flight attendant then gave the man and his daughter masks to wear.

In other words, the man was symptomatic in flight, while in a confined space with the other passengers. They used the same bathroom, touched the same surfaces, etc.

The man was removed after the plane landed by people in haz-mat gear. If they needed haz-mat gear, then they were concerned.

Then the rest of the passengers were quarantined, both on the plane at then at the airport, for hours.

If a positive diagnosis is eventually found, then others on the plane are potentially at risk. This is probably why the CDC asked them to complete forms before they were released from quarantine.

I'm not sure what the timing of the immigration officials coming on board had to do with it?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join