It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreigners dictating what it means to be British

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Kali74
doesn't that make 'us descendants' of England as far removed as any immigrant from Pakistan, India, Africa etc... are? If I gained British citizenship and moved to London, I'd be just as much as immigrant as a Pakistani and for the record I'm white.

Difference being your ancestors come from there and the Indians do not. If dna was taken from you and plugged into a haplogroup map Britten would light up, if dna was taken from an Indian India would light up, like I said you are what your blood is and you will always be that. Also means you are more likely due to upbringing to know what British values are so would be in a better position to talk about what being British is then an immigrant from India with different customs,allegiances etc

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   

luciddream
reply to post by LUXUS

How strange is it that you have a bunch of people who's ancestors to not come from these lands talking about what it means to be British? What would happen if a bunch of white native British went on Indian national TV and started talking about what it means to be Indian?

Remember the time when British, i don't know.. for 400 yrs or so told Indian's how to be Indian?

Ze Irony.

No I don't, I remember when they told Indians what being British was, I don't think they ever claimed to represent what being Indian was, in fact they thought it was a backwards society in every aspect.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

demus
reply to post by LUXUS

your post is all nice and correct, except you forgot to mention that British were all around the world for hundreds of year, occupying and bringing under British Empire a LOT of different nations, ethnicities, tribes.

now they have something to say about being British?

how dare they!? they were British when it was needed of them!

take it whatever way you want but it is very simple actually.

what goes around comes around.

Funny these bitter people are the same ones trying to gain access to "western" country's, they despise them yet will risk their lives often to gain entrance to where they live....is it because they know the pickings are good wherever they live?

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

LUXUS

luciddream
reply to post by LUXUS

How strange is it that you have a bunch of people who's ancestors to not come from these lands talking about what it means to be British? What would happen if a bunch of white native British went on Indian national TV and started talking about what it means to be Indian?

Remember the time when British, i don't know.. for 400 yrs or so told Indian's how to be Indian?

Ze Irony.

No I don't, I remember when they told Indians what being British was, I don't think they ever claimed to represent what being Indian was, in fact they thought it was a backwards society in every aspect.

Exactly, they try to change the Indian to be like them.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

So many words and not a lot said....

I would like you to point out the "tripe" I have said, seeing as everything I have mentioned is factually accurate (lets see, I've spoken about Benjamin Zephaniah, Crown Land, the supposed "Indian Genocide" and the old "Queen is German" nutshell - if you can dispute anything, do speak up!) whereas all you've contributed so far is self-righteous opinion.
edit on 8/4/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

sk0rpi0n
@op.... Why don't you build a time machine, go back in time and convince British rulers that colonizing other countries isn't a good idea. Consider the current situation as PAYBACK. After all, what goes around..... You know what happens next.

If I could maybe I would, I might also make in illegal for British to impart knowledge of innovation to outsiders, that means no Electricity, aircraft, trains, jet engines, telephones, satellites, space rockets, submarines, plastics, electronics....wonder how the world would look then

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

The British and their descendents Americans etc have invented practically all modern technology, the largest bulk of it by far and that is a fact that is indisputable so getting read of British influence around the world would mean also removing all the things they have and are inventing. Did you know the British hold more patents then anyone else in the world!

edit on 8-4-2014 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

sk0rpi0n

we dont care. We didn't colonize britian. So chill out....and enjoy the waves of black, brown, yellow people coming into britain. Karma is a ...female dog.

please don't describe the blacks, brown and yellow people as B.....s

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

LUXUS

sk0rpi0n
@op.... Why don't you build a time machine, go back in time and convince British rulers that colonizing other countries isn't a good idea. Consider the current situation as PAYBACK. After all, what goes around..... You know what happens next.

If I could maybe I would, I might also make in illegal for British to impart knowledge of innovation to outsiders, that means no Electricity, aircraft, trains, jet engines, telephones, satellites, space rockets, submarines, plastics, electronics....wonder how the world would look then

oh, so it was all british inventions?
of course:

Nikola Tesla was british.
Wright brothers were british.
Hans von Ohain was british
Elisha Gray was british
Sergei Koroloev was british
should I go on?

of course British people contribute a lot to the world, but they didn't invent the world.
I hope British people in general have more than basic education and world view: for the sake of Britain.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
All i really have to add to this debate is how much i notice white working-class people being under represented (If at all) In media, politics, education. There's a whole class of people who's culture has just been sh!t on for decades, only now to see it morph into drinking and drug culture - That foreigners are more than happy to supply.

I dont know what it mean's to be British but im pretty sure this whole opening your arms to everyone else's culture while your very own has been destroyed isnt the idea people would have dreamt of 60 years ago.

Its difficult to believe that the many of the first generation of migrants to this country still barely speak english - That's how much effort they put into "Embracing different cultures"

Rant over.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

demus

LUXUS

sk0rpi0n

of course:

Elisha Gray was british
should I go on?

of course British people contribute a lot to the world, but they didn't invent the world.
I hope British people in general have more than basic education and world view: for the sake of Britain.

All Europeans,and yes the Wright brothers were British, first flight was in the UK in north west London and there is a royal air museum built in that place to commemorate it!

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

woodwardjnr
reply to post by James1982

What you banging on about. How did you manage to assertain that from a single sentence I posted. The OP has made the insinuation in his thread that black people can not be British. I thought that was racist and said so. I also thought it had an anti Semitic tone, but maybe you chose not to pick up on that.

So just calm down and read what I actually wrote before getting yourself all worked up.
edit on 8-4-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

Rubbish! I said it was not correct to have a panel of immigrants and second generation immigrants dictating to native British, who happen to be a white race (or do you want to dispute that being a fact?) what being British is..how would they know what being British is, many of them struggle to even speak the language and they know nothing of its history.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Skyfloating

Foreigners dictating what it means to be British

I`m surrounded by foreigners. Upstairs there is a Norwegian couple. Across from me is an Irish guy and downstairs there is a German and a Dane. The cultural diversity has been quite enriching and not at all a problem.

edit on 2014 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

You might not say that if upstairs and downstairs were Somalians

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

andy1972
It's funny how people always harp on about how Britain enslaved the world, and how we went "subjugating" others...lets turn back the clock 300 years and stop the British Empire before it starts.

Let's turn back the clock just 30-40 years, shall we? The Brits sold Diego Garcia to the US and kicked the native people off the island, dear. And these natives are not allowed back! You are lucky that you still get to keep your homes!
The lesson: If you don't fight for the small people now, you or your grand kids will one day be the small people.

I'd just love to see how the world would be if Britain HADN'T had an empire..

Hmm.... free?

I'm sure the Australian Aborigines and and the American Red Indians would have detested the idea. After all, who doesn't like to be colonized, huh? (sarc)

edit on 8-4-2014 by Kurius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Kurius

andy1972
It's funny how people always harp on about how Britain enslaved the world, and how we went "subjugating" others...lets turn back the clock 300 years and stop the British Empire before it starts.

Let's just turn back the clock 30 years, shall we? The Brits sold Diego Garcia to the US and kicked the native people off the island, dear. And these natives are not allowed back! You are lucky that you still get to keep your homes!

I'd just love to see how the world would be if Britain HADN'T had an empire..

Hmm.... free?

Er No. The British didn't sell Diego Garcia to the Yanks.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

LUXUS

demus

LUXUS

sk0rpi0n

of course:

Elisha Gray was british
should I go on?

All Europeans,and yes the Wright brothers were British, first flight was in the UK in north west London and there is a royal air museum built in that place to commemorate it!

so now all Europeans were/are british?

you sound a lot like one of those disturbed young people who get involved in specific groups blaming others for their own failures or fears.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

stumason
reply to post by LUXUS

I can't watch the video right now, but that chap (Benjamin Zephaniah) is a stalwart republican and a bit of self-righteous prat if you ask me. He rejected an offer of an OBE, stating:

""Me? I thought, OBE me? Up yours, I thought. I get angry when I hear that word 'empire'; it reminds me of slavery, it reminds of thousands of years of brutality, it reminds me of how my foremothers were raped and my forefathers brutalised...Benjamin Zephaniah OBE - no way Mr Blair, no way Mrs Queen. I am profoundly anti-empire.""

He's a smug git, thats for sure.

If he hates this country so much i'm sure we could find a few quid to send him packing.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Who cares if Britain had an empire or not?

How does that justify packing the country with third world freeloaders?

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

alldaylong

Er No. The British didn't sell Diego Garcia to the Yanks.

Then they should just ship the natives back to their homeland, shouldn't they? After all, they were the ones who shipped them out.

Btw, have you even watched the "60 Minutes" report I posted? The video was 12 minutes long, you replied in just 3 minutes after it was posted.

edit on 8-4-2014 by Kurius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

CJCrawley
Who cares if Britain had an empire or not?

How does that justify packing the country with third world freeloaders?

as a "real" british, I am sure you are familiar with this one:

British Nationality Act 1981

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join