It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foreigners dictating what it means to be British

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

But the topic is "foreigners dictating, what it means to be British?" Nowhere are foreigners dictating what it means to be British. The video had a clip of British people from different ethnic backgrounds, not foreigners as the OP thread insinuates.
The OP is making the veiled assumption that you have to be white to be British and he is propagating that throughout the entire thread.

I called out the OP for the racist and anti Semitic tone of his post.

If the title of the thread was ' What does it mean to be British?' , you would have a fair point, but the thread title and nature of the thread are racist IMO.

Seems to me no one read the OP or watched the video, but came in charging, setting of a range of debates from the British Empire to the Wright brothers first flight location.
edit on 9-4-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

LUXUS
reply to post by ScottProphhit

I'm talking about reality so no need to start talking about how west Africans actually built the pyramids and related nonsense

and if that is your definition of what it means to be British what is your definition of what it means to be African...try to avoid fanciful mythology please...just in advance!

edit on 8-4-2014 by LUXUS because: (no reason given)

There's no such thing as being British, you can be yourself or you can pretend to be some one else. I used what I said to make a point, the average person in Britain is nothing to be proud of.

And first sign of an advanced society is not seeing people as individuals and rather a unit.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

woogleuk
This thread is about British culture, not who invented what or what colour someones skin is.

There are black, Asian even Muslim people in this country who do embrace British culture.

The issue isn't about race, it's about a lack of understanding what this country is about, its heritage and about newcomers to the land not fully grasping what has taking hundreds of years to evolve speaking on national television claiming to know something they don't yet fully comprehend.

It sickens me that some people don't take the time to understand the context of a conversation and pull out the old race card, when in fact it has nothing to do with racism, it's about culture.

Stop the petty arguing people and get back to the topic at hand.

yes, you are right, because inventions have nothing to do with culture.
at all.

it is the OP that keeps talking about race predominantly.

if he was talking about british culture than he surely wouldn't mention that "they were all white" (inventors of "british inventions" who were actually not british) but Germans, Russians and so on.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

LUXUS

sk0rpi0n

we dont care. We didn't colonize britian. So chill out....and enjoy the waves of black, brown, yellow people coming into britain. Karma is a ...female dog.

please don't describe the blacks, brown and yellow people as B.....s
but I wasn't doing that at all. I meant those who went around settling in/colonizing other countries are now faced with people from those same countries coming in to settle and perhaps colonizing the colonists countries. Thats how karma works, I've heard.__________________________________________________ As for your earlier statement about modern technology being a product of British (or white) intelligence and creativity....it most definitely is and I would be a liar if I tried to deny it. But then again, this isn't a debate about accomplishments by race, is it.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Now the only thing left to wonder is if the "white" technological advances is actually advancing, or just becoming less with more

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

I could easily go on Indian TV panel and talk about what it means to be Indian and proberly do a better job at it than an Indian .
But I would only be giving an idealized version of the best of India as a white person .
Unfortunately I dont think certain immigrants with no roots in a country like Britian can do the same, as they have an in built dispise of the culture .
Actually as far as immigrants go , Indian are most likely your best ones as they are quite in their host country . Many have never been to India anyway .
In a way I guess if you have no ties to a land you have no loyalty or identity with it .
I agreed with the British Iranian tho , you dont have to run aroundthinking Im British , Im Australian . We are none of theses temporayidentities . We are all strangers in a strange land
The material world is not the home for the soul .

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

stumason
reply to post by LUXUS

I can't watch the video right now, but that chap (Benjamin Zephaniah) is a stalwart republican and a bit of self-righteous prat if you ask me. He rejected an offer of an OBE, stating:

""Me? I thought, OBE me? Up yours, I thought. I get angry when I hear that word 'empire'; it reminds me of slavery, it reminds of thousands of years of brutality, it reminds me of how my foremothers were raped and my forefathers brutalised...Benjamin Zephaniah OBE - no way Mr Blair, no way Mrs Queen. I am profoundly anti-empire.""

What Mr Zephaniah does not get is that if was not for the British Empire he would not be some mumbo jumbo Liberal arts professor in some 3rd rate British University living the good life.

Instead he would be living in some hovel in some 3rd world African hell hole dieing of combination of malnutrition and what ever tropical diseases that are circulating in that area. And likely illiterate and uneducated too boot.
edit on 9-4-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

ScottProphhit
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Now the only thing left to wonder is if the "white" technological advances is actually advancing, or just becoming less with more
Technology does nothing to preserve morality, family values, the family unit and by extension...the ''race'' which the OP is so concerned about. Traditional values transcend race and technological advancements. Any technologically advanced race that places technology over values is DOOMED. Yes, the white race gave the world modern technology...but they don't seem too inclined to preserve their own, through values that only religion could provide. Instead, they have been working (overtime) to oppose religion and traditional values. Immigrant families may not be from countries that helped advance technology.. But their emphasis on the family unit and the traditional values that got them this far....will go a LONG way in preserving them as a race. Perhaps the OP might feel offended upon hearing a muslim or a hindu say ''homosexual marriages are bad because it disintegrates the definition of family unit''...he might claim its another case of non-Brits telling whites how to be. I can only shrug...because if whites hate it when non-whites present advice on preserving race and family, then its really not my problem.
edit on 9-4-2014 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Instead he would be living in some hovel in some 3rd world African hell hole dieing of combination of malnutrition and what ever tropical diseases that are circulating in that area. And likely illiterate and uneducated too boot.

Truth of the matter is, we have no idea what Africa or any indigenous peoples would be like today without Western interference. The West has intentionally fomented wars between tribes, made water and food scarce to tribes in areas that has minerals, gold, diamonds or whatever else we find valuable... then offered 'solutions' to their poverty via mining/factory jobs or arming them to fight other tribes.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
My thoughts on this topic

edit on 9-4-2014 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It's an odd moment in history that the former world powers - US, Great Britain, France and Germany are all struggling with massive immigration and losing their identities while the communist countries of Russia and China have no such issues and are both faring better economically than their former foes.

Is this coincidence or is it part of the reason the West is losing it's place as the world's major economies?

My view is that the economic elites have discovered that it's far easier to retain power when there is no monolithic culture, no major racial or religious base but a fragmented populace who can be easily led to be at odds with each other. Nations came to be in the first place because there was a majority population who could self-identify and who shared language, culture and customs. Multiculturalism and diversity are programs designed to destroy Nations by changing that identity. They lower wages by increasing the labor pool, keep real estate and rental prices inflated and increase demand for government services. More money and power for the government and the owner classes, less for the working people. Nice how that works, eh?

Complain about it and you're branded a racist, isolationist, throw-back, etc.
The people's right to self-determination is it's final death throes.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Truth of the matter is, we have no idea what Africa or any indigenous peoples would be like today without Western interference.

Yes, that's undeniable.

The West has intentionally fomented wars between tribes, made water and food scarce to tribes in areas that has minerals, gold, diamonds or whatever else we find valuable...

Yes, there's more than an element of truth in that statement.
But do you honestly think such things didn't occur before white Europeans started 'interfering' in Africa?

Slavery amongst Africans existed hundreds and hundreds of years before 'white' men got involved.
Internecine tribal warfare has been endemic in Africa for hundreds of years as well.
As previously noted several large and powerful empires have risen and fallen in Africa - and along with that has gone the warfare, exploitation, rape, pillage etc that always goes with empire building.

You seem to want to portray an image of Africa being some sort of idyllic land of plenty free from the excesses and corruptions of those dastardly white Europeans, particularly the British it would seem.
But that is complete and utter bollocks.

Africa as a whole has a rich and vibrant heritage comprising countless cultures and societies and there is much for Africans to be proud of.
But it has never been free from the ills that trouble the rest of the world too and its ridiculous to suggest or imply as much.

White Europeans, and for the sake of this argument The British, are NOT responsible for all of the worlds ills.

then offered 'solutions' to their poverty via mining/factory jobs or arming them to fight other tribes.

Don't get me wrong, there's undeniably been an element of that.
European involvement in Africa hasn't been purely altruistic and well intentioned and has undoubtedly been the source of much misery...but come on, Africans have been killing and exploiting other Africans for literally centuries upon centuries, much the same as the rest of the world.
edit on 9/4/14 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The saddest part is the british have never had the chance to vote on multiculturism. Multiculturism has all the hallmarks of divide and rule.
The british are a dying race. 40 percent of londons tenants were not born in the u.k. 25 percent of school children are none white british.
And we white british get locked up if we say anything about it.

edit on 9-4-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse
The saddest part is the british have never had the chance to vote on multiculturism. Multiculturism has all the hallmarks of divide and rule.
The british are a dying race. 40 percent of londons tenants were not born in the u.k. 25 percent of school children are none white british.

I dont know why it matters? We are human, not a nation. Get that. There is no difference between a brown British man and a white one, do you understand colours? In order to see colour through our eyes, something has to be every colour except the colour we see. A green leaf is actually every colour but green. What colour does that make brown and white people in reality? We are #ing rainbow people

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

symptomoftheuniverse

So what is the agendaof multicultralism ? You have first hand experience of a white population now being turned into a a hog pog society of anything goes ...what will be the outcome of the hog pog societies , anyone . Im curious

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
It's an odd moment in history that the former world powers - US, Great Britain, France and Germany are all struggling with massive immigration and losing their identities while the communist countries of Russia and China have no such issues and are both faring better economically than their former foes.

Is this coincidence or is it part of the reason the West is losing it's place as the world's major economies?

My view is that the economic elites have discovered that it's far easier to retain power when there is no monolithic culture, no major racial or religious base but a fragmented populace who can be easily led to be at odds with each other. Nations came to be in the first place because there was a majority population who could self-identify and who shared language, culture and customs. Multiculturalism and diversity are programs designed to destroy Nations by changing that identity. They lower wages by increasing the labor pool, keep real estate and rental prices inflated and increase demand for government services. More money and power for the government and the owner classes, less for the working people. Nice how that works, eh?

Complain about it and you're branded a racist, isolationist, throw-back, etc.
The people's right to self-determination is it's final death throes.
and just think that we may go to war with russia! I would rather fight for russia,its sad i know but anything is better than what our own consecutive governments have done to us indiginous. We could have had full employment,proper wages ,no foodbanks,affordable energy and a sense of pride.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   

ScottProphhit

symptomoftheuniverse

I dont know why it matters? We are human, not a nation. Get that. There is no difference between a brown British man and a white one, do you understand colours? In order to see colour through our eyes, something has to be every colour except the colour we see. A green leaf is actually every colour but green. What colour does that make brown and white people in reality? We are #ing rainbow people
its not about colour at all,its about foreigners expecting the british to change. Some countries are united. Britain is divided.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

A lot of those "foreigners" come from places that were part of the British Empire...
So there is that!!!

The funniest part...

"This show does not represent the English majority in any way whatsoever...

Watch on in bemusement as a load of non-whites dictate what our British identity should be!!!"

British... Or English?????
Contradicted themselves within 19 seconds....

And that is why intelligent foreigners Brits are who ask and answer the question's!!!

Not a Neanderthal, Hog Blooded group of EDL toss pots!!!

Peace everybody!!!

Watch Question Time, It's A Million Times Better Than This Lame Show!!!

Peace Mr.Dimbleby!!!

link   
reply to post by ScottProphhit

Skin colour means nothing....as long as you are White.
How many black pride movements / organisations / awards etc are there?
Lots.
And they are lauded and promoted openly.

White equivalents?
Hmm......different story there isn't it.

Skin colour shouldn't matter - but unfortunately it does.

And heritage and culture means a lot to a lot of people, not just some white British or Europeans.
If that wasn't the case why do so many immigrants cling to their culture, their heritage and their national identity when the emigrate to other countries like the UK etc?
But its ok for them to want to cherish and hold on to their culture and 'national identity' but its not ok for Brits or English to do the same?

Hypocrisy and double standards.

link   

Freeborn
reply to post by Kali74

Truth of the matter is, we have no idea what Africa or any indigenous peoples would be like today without Western interference.

Yes, that's undeniable.

The West has intentionally fomented wars between tribes, made water and food scarce to tribes in areas that has minerals, gold, diamonds or whatever else we find valuable...

Yes, there's more than an element of truth in that statement.
But do you honestly think such things didn't occur before white Europeans started 'interfering' in Africa?

Slavery amongst Africans existed hundreds and hundreds of years before 'white' men got involved.
Internecine tribal warfare has been endemic in Africa for hundreds of years as well.
As previously noted several large and powerful empires have risen and fallen in Africa - and along with that has gone the warfare, exploitation, rape, pillage etc that always goes with empire building.

You seem to want to portray an image of Africa being some sort of idyllic land of plenty free from the excesses and corruptions of those dastardly white Europeans, particularly the British it would seem.
But that is complete and utter bollocks.

Africa as a whole has a rich and vibrant heritage comprising countless cultures and societies and there is much for Africans to be proud of.
But it has never been free from the ills that trouble the rest of the world too and its ridiculous to suggest or imply as much.

White Europeans, and for the sake of this argument The British, are NOT responsible for all of the worlds ills.

then offered 'solutions' to their poverty via mining/factory jobs or arming them to fight other tribes.

In that case all blame lays on the first human that struck another in order to control them or take what they wanted, so we are all absolved of everything now.

It doesn't matter what tribes were doing to each other before. What we're seeing now is direct result of of Western actions.

I assure you I don't have some idyllic notion of tribal Africa. The treatment of women in some tribes makes me angry. But those are things for tribe members to work out among themselves same as western women fight for equality.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join