It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor Congratulates Women For Following Scripture - No Jewelry and No Braided Hair.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Ok, around [the prevention of] diseases.

Wash in running water
Bury your poop far away
Don’t touch a dead body
Don’t use cracked pots

No, I’m not a crackpot

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare

Appropriate/With Modesty/Soundness of Mind, are all "subjective". At the "Church of God", if the leaders say the little earrings are too flashy, and the Mercedes in the parking lot is not showing "modesty", that person is forced to change, or driven from the church.

There's not much I can do about that but say, that sucks. I know there are always going to be zealots who are self-righteous they are among Jehovah's Witnesses as well. We just have to put up with them. Self-righteousness is a form of unrighteousness though. The Christian is admonished not to go beyond the bounds of Holy Scripture. JWs try not to. Although imperfectly. You get imperfect men you will always get imperfection:

"Do not go beyond the things that are written,” so that you may not be puffed up with pride, favoring one against the other. "-1 Corinthians 4:6.

I can say personally though, that among the elders and among the JWs as a whole there is a spirit of love and cooperation. And there are varying degrees of spirituality, young ones in the truth and old, both spiritually and literally. The mature have to put up with the weak and immature:

"So by your knowledge the man who is weak is being ruined, your brother for whose sake Christ died. When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you are sinning against Christ. That is why if food makes my brother stumble, I will never again eat meat at all, so that I will not make my brother stumble."-1 Corinthians 8:11-13.

The scripture is pertaining to foods but it applies to all aspects of life. When one couple learned the truth from the Bible their weak conscience forbid them from seeing any form of movies at all thinking it was wrong. So we accepted their weakness and tried to avoid stumbling them. In time they matured spiritually and began to see that no all forms of entertainment are wrong and their consciences matured. So it is in all aspects of life.

I know that the fashion of dress in the Mexican congregations here where I live is a lot more reversed than in the English. The English have no problems wearing skirts to just below the knees, while the Spanish frown on it if it isn't almost to the ankle. Neither is wrong, but no one should be judging the other, there is nothing wrong with wearing a skirt to just below the knees.

I am reminded of a recent Watchtower study we had that talks about just that, juding others according to our own standards and not God's:

4 When people think of a righteous person, many may think of someone who is smug, judgmental, or self-righteous. But God does not like those qualities at all. When Jesus was on earth, he strongly criticized the religious leaders of his day for setting up their own standards of righteousness. (Eccl. 7:16; Luke 16:15) Genuine righteousness is not in any way like self-righteousness.

5 Righteousness is a beautiful quality. Simply put, it means doing what is right in the eyes of Jehovah God. In the Bible, the words for “righteousness” convey the idea of living by the highest of standards—Jehovah’s standards. For example, Jehovah decreed that merchants should use an “honest weight.” (Deut. 25:15) The original Hebrew word translated “honest” can also be translated “righteous.” Thus, a Christian who wants to be righteous in God’s eyes will be completely honest in all his business dealings. A righteous man also loves justice—he hates to see someone treated unfairly. And “in order to please [Jehovah] fully,” a person who is truly righteous considers how He will view the decisions he makes.—Col. 1:10.

18 Step 3: Leave the judging to Jehovah. While we try hard to live by Jehovah’s righteous standards, we must avoid judging others and becoming self-righteous. Rather than look down on others as if we had the right to judge them based on our own standards, we keep in mind that Jehovah is “the Judge of all the earth.” (Gen. 18:25) Jehovah has not entrusted such judging to us. In fact, Jesus commands: “Stop judging that you may not be judged.”​—Matt. 7:1. *

Jehovah’s People Love Righteousness

I also appreiate how in the new update brothers are told that it is okay to dress without a tie and jacket if they don't have parts in meetings, and sisters are allowed to wear slacks if they don't have parts (and brothers can wear beards now too):

I actually encourage you to watch this video because it shows you the reasonable stand that JWs have with regard to dress and modesty, trying to always get more in-tuned with God's thinking, his love and his mercy. In fact that is usually the very first thing any outsider notices when they first attend a Christian meeting with JWs. Is their warmth, their kindness and their love:

2024 Governing Body Update #2

edit on Tue, 02 Apr 2024 20:02:35 -0500pm40220240400000035America/ChicagoTue, 02 Apr 2024 20:02:35 -0500 by randomuser2034 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
God doesn't give a rat's behind about how you wear your hair, or jewelry or any other such nonsense.

Man does.

What passages of the Bible can we safely conclude are GOD's word...and not MAN's word? (if any)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

Ask any divorced man who's ever had his heart broken by irreconciable differences and been emasculated in Court.

Le sigh.

Poor Samson.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomuser2034

originally posted by: lilzazz
Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Why can't I own Canadians if I pay for them?

The slavery referred to in the Mosaic Law Covenant and practiced back then is very different than the slavery that was practiced by later nations, especially during the slave trade among the nations of Christendom. Under the law slaves had many rights and were to be treated fairly and given the same justice as anyone else.

The Mosaic Law was also very loving of foreign residents in Israel. They were given the same rights as a native Israelite, and were to be treated with the same love:

"If a foreigner resides with you in your land, you must not mistreat him. The foreigner who resides with you should become to you like a native among you; and you must love him as yourself, for you were foreign residents in the land of Egypt. I am Jehovah your God."-Leviticus 19:33-34.

"You must not oppress a foreign resident. You know how it feels to be a foreigner, because you were foreign residents in the land of Egypt."-Exodus 23:9.

Slavery in Israel is more akin to hired labor by today's standards, and slaves were afforded many rights under the law that protected them from abuse.

What an eye opener. I had no idea the slaves in Israel were treated well, much like migrants are being treated in the USA today. Thanks!

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Why can't I own Canadians if I pay for them?

I can tell what era you would visit, if a Time Machine was made available to you.

You might stay there.

Truth be known....I'd return to the Hedonistic 60s/early 70s and put the old band back together.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I was the only child in our Methodist church allowed to sit in Sermon Sundays in my age group.

Everyone else was regulated to Sunday School because they were bundles of curiousity and energy, and I was kind of a solmn thoughtful silent type who paid attention to my Elders.

When my mother remarried and I was first introduced to the Catholic Church, it was amazing.

I walked into the Cathedral and the choir was singing in Latin and I was overwhelmed with a glowing golden light and a indescribable feeling of peace, love, joy and welcome.

It was like coming home.

Sadly, due to changing times and certain parishes and the wealth of Masses out there, the last Mass I attended on the Feast Day of Jesus was a little too severe and Draconian for me. A woman was reading the Holy Rosary (traditionally it's a soft spoken priest or else we pray silently in the Masses I grew up in) and she was very repetative and her words were drowning out the Peace of Christ and I felt rage welling up in me and I had to excuse myself and go outside and relocate to avoid flipping tables so to speak.

Strange things afoot at the proverbial Circle K.

The church has recently been revamped, more room, new statues of Mary and Joseph, a Family Oriented parish.

But the humble, smaller, more folksy tradition suited me better I think.

I simply couldn't bring my limited human flesh to transcend the loud broadcast of the newly installed speaker system and the droning of the rosary and the dead and uninspired "folk music" they brought in for whatever reason the changing tides have.

It was almost as if it was a Call to Arms, and I follow the Path of Christs Peace, not the Lords Judgement.

Shortly put, given that it was completely unusual and uncharacteristic of everything I knew about Catholicism, I wondered if it was akin to some sort of Bene Gesserit Type ceremony with a Reverand Mother using the Voice, and God was giving me the signal to leave and not be part of it anymore.

Anyway, long stry short I gave my thithe to a homeless kid with a puppy, and went and had a beer at the All Ages Venue down the road, and sat on the porch with my frosty beverage, and the Peace of Christ followed me there as I sat silently with a cigarette in refection and prayer.

It's entirely possible they were playing AC/DC on the jukebox inside, but they didn't bother me none and I didn't bother them and the Unisex bathrooms were a lot more accomodating for the clientele that frequents said establishment.

And after all, Jesus did kind of hang out with the underclass and unwanted, healed the sick and gave to the poor, so in a way, it was a more fruitful and proper experience than sitting in a Mass that did nothing but stir up negative emotions, and I think that's what God would have wanted for me.

Your experrience may vary.

He who liveth by the sword shall die by the sword and all that jazz.

Sorry, I get full of the spirit and ramble sometimes.

Thanks for reading.
edit on 4/2/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:21 PM
link   

a reply to: randomuser2034

Come to think of it, almost everyone on this website today would be considered slaves under the Law. As most people work for, that is hire themselves and their labor out, others, for pay because they need to to make a living.

Wealth leveraging classes teach that if you perform an hour of labor for $100, you're a slave. It's best to make $$$ your slave. But getting the $ millions $ you need in the first place is the trick!

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:24 PM
link   

The slavery referred to in the Mosaic Law Covenant and practiced back then is very different than the slavery that was practiced by later nations, especially during the slave trade among the nations of Christendom. Under the law slaves had many rights and were to be treated fairly and given the same justice as anyone else.

The Mosaic Law was also very loving of foreign residents in Israel. They were given the same rights as a native Israelite, and were to be treated with the same love:

"If a foreigner resides with you in your land, you must not mistreat him. The foreigner who resides with you should become to you like a native among you; and you must love him as yourself, for you were foreign residents in the land of Egypt. I am Jehovah your God."-Leviticus 19:33-34.

"You must not oppress a foreign resident. You know how it feels to be a foreigner, because you were foreign residents in the land of Egypt."-Exodus 23:9.

Slavery in Israel is more akin to hired labor by today's standards, and slaves were afforded many rights under the law that protected them from abuse.

What an eye opener. I had no idea the slaves in Israel were treated well, much like migrants are being treated in the USA today. Thanks!

Yes. Unfortunately the Isrealites strayed far from God's law and his love that he was teaching them. That is why when Jesus was on earth a man trying to prove himself righteous asked Jesus who his neighbor was. That is when Jesus gave him the parable of the "good Samaritan." A group of people looked down upon and despised by that time by the Jews. He talked of a man that was mugged on the road and left for dead, and a priest and a Levi, both religious Jews, past him by on the road. Then a Samaritan stopped and dressed his wounds and took him to an inn where he put the people in charge of his care and said he would pay for their expenses when he returned. Then Jesus asked, "who really acted like the neighbor?" The man replied, the one who helped the man. Jesus said, "go and do the same."

In fact he said that the command to "love your neighbor" as yourself was the 2nd greatest of all the laws. And that all of the Law hung on these two things, to love Jehovah God with all our heart and mind and strength, and to love our neighbor as yourself. None of the rest matters if you don't have genuine love of people, not just those of the same religion or race. For all people of all religions and races.

link   

To be fair, it's a huge influx of people seeking shelter and refuge and they still haven't been working on the infrastructure projects and job creation like they said they were going to do in several previous administrations.

Maybe Amazon is hiring for their fulfillment centers?

Anyone? Anyone?

Solutions instead of bickering!

Affordable housing now!

link   

a reply to: lilzazz

That depends on which god you are referring to.
Seems like the god of the bible is of 2 minds.
Vengeful and mean. Loving and peaceful. You know, like real people.

Other gods seem to be just loving and peaceful and don't seem to care about silly little things like hair or being a slave.

We are such a mess.

Jehovah is not mean. He is very merciful and loving. That doesn't mean he doesn't exact vengeance. But his vengeance is always justified and righteous.

I like your version of Jehovah. He wouldn't make rules against Braids and Jewelry!

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Well, a lot of the wackier biblical laws for woman are mostly carryovers from previous codes. Ur-Nammu and Hammurabi mainly.

Shows up strongly in Mosaic law:

ETA:

LSA poisoning isn't fun, but they didn't know about contaminated wheat, so they ate hallucinogenic bread and killed all the unpopular girls. Exodus was helpful in justifying what to do about the insanity. Of course it was the unpopular goodies making them trip their ass off.

edit on 2-4-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Jehovah kicks ass.

He's a real nice guy.

Patient.

But everyone has their limits.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

I would swear on my tits that some of the confusion going on in the Bible are because the Advesary has been making inclusions and edits for his own designs. The abuse of women and the raping, the chaos and destruction and whatnot. Esecially woe unto those who would bring back the Old Testament Ways, Dark Ages and Unnatural Inquisitions.

But what do I know, I'm just a stupid chick and need to sit down, cover my head and get beaten for daring to speak up, right?

One of my voice once said, Jehovah is cool, but Yahweh is a dick.

Take that with a grain of salt, just two cents.

Jehovah is the ID, Yahweh is the EGO, and Christ the SUPEREGO.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Happy to oblige..... oh yes.... pagans are mentioned!

Rainbows
Jane

I slowed down the trailer clip. The guy playing Samson really was throwing people and horses around like toys.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

You were indeed blessed by deity this past Trans-Easter weekend. Congratulations!

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:42 PM
link   

And he wrestled a REAL lion!

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:44 PM
link   

As a nonbinary she/her/they/them schizophrenic weirdo who's archetypical mindscape spans the spectrum, I thank you.

I'm feeling in much better spirits, and I indeed have renewed optimism and restored Faith.

Hugs and Peace to You And Your Loved Ones!

SALUT!

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOS
a reply to: Sookiechacha

In Leviticus there are a lot of instructions given to the Jews regarding hygiene. Especially around diseases.

Like washing in RUNNING water. Men specifically.

Something the medical profession didn’t figure out until the 19th century after trying to determine why so many women were dying from infections after childbirth.

Maybe BRAIDED hair holds more mites and other critters that can cause infections. That could be why, of all hairstyles, braids were scorned upon.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomer1947

God doesn't give a rat's behind about how you wear your hair, or jewelry or any other such nonsense.

Man does.

If you're wearing your hair, or doing up your hair for the wrong reasons he does. He is a clean God and asks modesty of his servants. So if it is unclean, or if it is immodest, then it would be displeasing to God.

What do you suppose God would think about Donald Trump's hairdo?

Men are given more leeway by the Almighty. Especially if they speak Good Things about God and Jesus, as Donald Trump frequently does.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join