It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor Congratulates Women For Following Scripture - No Jewelry and No Braided Hair.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomuser2034

originally posted by: chiefsmom
God doesn't give a rat's behind about how you wear your hair, or jewelry or any other such nonsense.

Man does.

If you're wearing your hair, or doing up your hair for the wrong reasons he does. He is a clean God and asks modesty of his servants. So if it is unclean, or if it is immodest, then it would be displeasing to God.

What do you suppose God would think about Donald Trump's hairdo? Is it modest? Does he spend a half hour every day to create the world's most elaborate combover for the right reasons?

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
a reply to: WeMustCare

I was made to cover my hair in church, but men were not and when I questioned the practice I was told, in an angry tone, that "you must" and that was it.

Did the leaders point you to a scripture that supports their rule?

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boomer1947

originally posted by: chiefsmom
God doesn't give a rat's behind about how you wear your hair, or jewelry or any other such nonsense.

Man does.

If you're wearing your hair, or doing up your hair for the wrong reasons he does. He is a clean God and asks modesty of his servants. So if it is unclean, or if it is immodest, then it would be displeasing to God.

What do you suppose God would think about Donald Trump's hairdo? Is it modest? Does he spend a half hour every day to create the world's most elaborate combover for the right reasons?

God loves trumps hair....it was also anointed when DJT was; Along with his golden shoes and all the other things he has for sale. Better get some....

religionnews.com...

edit on 2-4-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOS

In Leviticus there are a lot of instructions given to the Jews regarding hygiene. Especially around diseases.

NO, LOL

Those instructions are around "Issue", like pee, poop and semen", maybe sweat, and for a woman add blood to the list, along with a couple of turtle doves for the priests.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I see stuff like that as cultural norms for that place and time, that the people of the day decided cultural norms against it were 'from God'. At that time braiding hair and wearing jewelry was probably considered to be too flashy and 'loose'.

I'm under the assumption that God wanted humankind to multiply like rabbits back in the early days. Making yourself for attractive to men would increase the number of pregnancies.

Maybe there were enough people by the time Jesus arrived that there was no need for women to make themselves unnaturally "hot".

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

I mean if we started following the rules - a lot of people will need to get stoned (to death)

Some things were specifically stated to be applicable to Before Christ (BC). I think being stoned to death was abolished after Christ said told humankind to be more loving.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
We didn't have any such policies in the Churches I attended growing up.

My Methodist grandparents were modest, and I'm a bit of a rebel Catholic convert with piercings and tattoos.

It depends on how literally your Church's leaders take what the Bible says to be true, in the here and now.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: lilzazz

Yes indeed, we should return to old testament laws. Why do we need a new Testament, the old laws don't apply anymore?
Who decided we need a new bible....It wasn't God; it was the clerics and Kings, That's why they call it the King James version.

Without the blood sacrifices, we are doomed!! Bring back Leviticus before it's to late!!!

bible.org...

Have You practiced what you believe by sacrificing a living creature? Man, Chicken, Fish, Rabbit, etc.?

edit on 242024 by WeMustCare because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

I can kind of understand the jewelry bit, but the braids bit is just ridiculous.

God also killed Onan for blowing his load on the ground and not in his brothers wife:

Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also. 11

Whoever the god was from the Old Testament - he certainly was a piece of work…

MALE Masturbators beware? Is it still dangerous? (Asking 4 a friend)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

So some of the "Women will not....." statements were only advice. Not rules. That makes sense.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

God also killed Onan for blowing his load on the ground and not in his brothers wife:

This is called onanism in Christianity.
It's part of why the Catholic church calls masturbation a sin.
Not sure about the protestant churches ...

It wasn't a SIN in those days that Onan was screwing his brother's wife to begin with?

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I can kind of understand the jewelry bit, but the braids bit is just ridiculous.

Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also. 11

Whoever the god was from the Old Testament - he certainly was a piece of work…

Yeah and prostituting one's wife is okay (?), nothing to see here folks.

The Chicago police are allowing married migrant couples to raise money in that manner, while waiting for their court date and "green cards". (The "Johns" come from all over.)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeMustCare

Yes indeed, we should return to old testament laws. Why do we need a new Testament, the old laws don't apply anymore?
Who decided we need a new bible....It wasn't God; it was the clerics and Kings, That's why they call it the King James version.

Without the blood sacrifices, we are doomed!! Bring back Leviticus before it's to late!!!

bible.org...

Have You practiced what you believe by sacrificing a living creature? Man, Chicken, Fish, Rabbit, etc.?

Yes, I have killed chickens, deer, rabbits and lots of fish... I ate them. You got a problem with that?
edit on 2-4-2024 by lilzazz because: syntax

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The last two posters speak as if they were alive at the time and saw it firsthand in action.

LOL.

If I'm remiss, by all means correct me.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I read somewhere when they first encountered the Vikings (whom both men and women wore braids and jewelry and bathed regularly and used perfumes from their trading) that the wives became attracted to the Viking Men and cheated on their husbands, so it was added in to the original texts.

Not sure if thats the truth, just saying that's what I've read.

I've read that books of the Bible have been edited several times over the past 2,000 years.

I'm glad it wasn't as easy to edit, as Wikipedia is today!

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:35 PM
link   

The Christian Greek Scriptures state:

"Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing, but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God namely, through good works."-1 Timothy 2:9-10.

Concerning this scripture the Study Bible (the NWT Revision 2013) states:

appropriate: Or “respectable.” In this context, the Greek word used suggests dress that would be considered honorable and proper. Such attire would be suitable for one who professes to be a minister of God.

with modesty: In this context, modesty includes taking into consideration one’s own conscience as well as the feelings or opinions of others. A modest Christian would avoid adornment that is considered indecent, that draws undue attention, or that is likely to offend or stumble others.​—1Co 10:32, 33.

soundness of mind: Or “good judgment; sensibleness.”​—See study note on 1Ti 3:2.

In the first century, many women parted their long hair in the middle, pulled it back, and fashioned it into a bun (1). Some women wore more elaborate hairstyles, braiding and curling their hair (2). To produce curls, hair was wrapped around a calamistrum, a hollow rod that had been heated over coals. Wealthy women wore fancier styles and usually had their hair done by a slave. Elaborately arranged styles required hairpins, combs, ribbons, and hairnets to hold the hair in place. The apostles Paul and Peter advised Christian women against drawing attention to themselves with extravagant hairstyles. Rather, women were encouraged to “adorn themselves . . . with modesty” and a “quiet and mild spirit.” Such qualities are highly valued by Jehovah.​—1Ti 2:9; 1Pe 3:3, 4.

See the link and also for a diagram of the difference between the way a 1st century Christian would do their hair, and the style among the richer women and their fancier style:

1 Timothy 2:9

It applies to men as well as women. It doesn't mean you can't braid your hair or wear jewelry. It means not to be gaudy. It means not to be ostentatious. It means not to dress in such a way as to draw attention to yourself, your status, or your wealth. It means to dress modestly with humility, in good taste. A Christian woman can certainly braid their hair, and can certainly wear make-up and jewelry. But they would not do it so as to show off, to draw attention to themselves, make others feel less important, stir up contentions and jealousies (which seem to be more common in women than men, and perhaps that was why it was directed especially toward the women.

Aside from this passage, there is not much else in the way of dress in the Christian Greek Scriptures. And there are a wide variety of cultures and dress in the world, and a wide variety that is appropriate for a Christian, in their culture, to wear according to the traditions of that land. Always must it be in good taste, clean, modest, and show soundness of mind, representing their clean and holy God Jehovah.

Appropriate/With Modesty/Soundness of Mind, are all "subjective". At the "Church of God", if the leaders say the little earrings are too flashy, and the Mercedes in the parking lot is not showing "modesty", that person is forced to change, or driven from the church.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Well, it's just one of many Paths.

There are several Holy Books and records out there.

You should see the archives of the Buddhists and the Vedic texts of the Hindus!

It puts what little Cunniform survived to shame.

YUGE!

Imagine how big the Book of Life must be!

Volumes upon volumes, a never ending library!

And it can't be altered or burned by an advesary, only God Himself, if He Sees So Fit.

*drools*

As a rabid bibliophile, such a library would be......HEAVEN!
edit on 4/2/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Why can't I own Canadians if I pay for them?

I can tell what era you would visit, if a Time Machine was made available to you.

You might stay there.

edit on 242024 by WeMustCare because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

At that time braiding hair and wearing jewelry was probably considered to be too flashy and 'loose'.

It was probably how the women of their enemies dressed. Pagans!

The evil temptresses.

Cue up the story of Samson and Delilah!!!!!

Were they a REAL couple?

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

At that time braiding hair and wearing jewelry was probably considered to be too flashy and 'loose'.

It was probably how the women of their enemies dressed. Pagans!

The evil temptresses.

Cue up the story of Samson and Delilah!!!!!

I'll bet Samson had braids and was flamboyant.

If Samson was MALE, he had more leeway in that area.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join