It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor Congratulates Women For Following Scripture - No Jewelry and No Braided Hair.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Tuesday, April 2, 2024

I went to a Funeral last week where the pastor spoke of how the deceased lady was a good follower of God's teachings.

Part of the praise he lavished on her was that she DID NOT WEAR JEWELRY and she DID NOT BRAID HER HAIR.

I looked up Bible references to jewelry and braids. Sure enough, there are several passages in the Holy Bible that denounce the wearing of jewelry and braids.

See here: www.openbible.info...

For the most part, the passages single out WOMEN as the potential offenders. Are we to assume that MEN are authorized wear necklaces, ear/nose rings, and braided hair?

Is it appropriate, from God's point of view, to cherry-pick some guidance and rules to be followed, and other guidance/rules to be ignored, based on "Society" at a given point in time?

That is what some people tell me when I ask them about certain Bible statements. They say, "Those rules were applicable to Christians back then, but not now."

Once you start doing that, isn't it a slippery slope that leads to each person, or church, cherry-picking what they want to follow...and not want to follow?

-WeMustCare 🤷‍♂️

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: WeMustCare

I was made to cover my hair in church, but men were not and when I questioned the practice I was told, in an angry tone, that "you must" and that was it.
edit on q00000012430America/Chicago0707America/Chicago4 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I see stuff like that as cultural norms for that place and time, that the people of the day decided cultural norms against it were 'from God'. At that time braiding hair and wearing jewelry was probably considered to be too flashy and 'loose'.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I mean if we started following the rules - a lot of people will need to get stoned (to death)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:12 PM
link   
We didn't have any such policies in the Churches I attended growing up.

My Methodist grandparents were modest, and I'm a bit of a rebel Catholic convert with piercings and tattoos.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Yes indeed, we should return to old testament laws. Why do we need a new Testament, the old laws don't apply anymore?
Who decided we need a new bible....It wasn't God; it was the clerics and Kings, That's why they call it the King James version.

Without the blood sacrifices, we are doomed!! Bring back Leviticus before it's to late!!!

bible.org...

edit on 2-4-2024 by lilzazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

At that time braiding hair and wearing jewelry was probably considered to be too flashy and 'loose'.

It was probably how the women of their enemies dressed. Pagans!

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I can kind of understand the jewelry bit, but the braids bit is just ridiculous.

God also killed Onan for blowing his load on the ground and not in his brothers wife:

Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also. 11

Whoever the god was from the Old Testament - he certainly was a piece of work…

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO
I can kind of understand the jewelry bit, but the braids bit is just ridiculous.

We don't know what the culture was like back then.
Braids in the hair could have been considered flashy and loose ... against modesty.

Got Questions - Why no braided hair?

In first-century Roman culture, women would customarily braid or twist their hair high onto their heads, often decorating their locks with jewels, gold adornments, and more to garner attention. The ornate displays indeed drew a public response, but the apostles’ point is that to flaunt one’s beauty for selfish adoration is not in line with the humility of Christ.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

At that time braiding hair and wearing jewelry was probably considered to be too flashy and 'loose'.

The evil temptresses.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:29 PM
link   

God also killed Onan for blowing his load on the ground and not in his brothers wife:

This is called onanism in Christianity.
It's part of why the Catholic church calls masturbation a sin.
Not sure about the protestant churches ...

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Then Judah said to Onan, "Lie with your brother's wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother." 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother's wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD's sight; so he put him to death also. 11

Whoever the god was from the Old Testament - he certainly was a piece of work…

Yeah and prostituting one's wife is okay (?), nothing to see here folks.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I read somewhere when they first encountered the Vikings (whom both men and women wore braids and jewelry and bathed regularly and used perfumes from their trading) that the wives became attracted to the Viking Men and cheated on their husbands, so it was added in to the original texts.

Not sure if thats the truth, just saying that's what I've read.

edit on 4/2/24 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
a reply to: Sookiechacha

I read somewhere when they first encountered the Vikings (whom oth men and women wore braids and jewelry and bathed regularly and used perfumes from their trading) that the wives became attracted to the Viking Men and cheated on their husbands, so it was added in to the original texts.

Not sure if thats the truth, just saying that's what I've read.

Just picturing a Viking man back then and I think it's true.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The Christian Greek Scriptures state:

"Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing, but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God namely, through good works."-1 Timothy 2:9-10.

Concerning this scripture the Study Bible (the NWT Revision 2013) states:

appropriate: Or “respectable.” In this context, the Greek word used suggests dress that would be considered honorable and proper. Such attire would be suitable for one who professes to be a minister of God.

with modesty: In this context, modesty includes taking into consideration one’s own conscience as well as the feelings or opinions of others. A modest Christian would avoid adornment that is considered indecent, that draws undue attention, or that is likely to offend or stumble others.​—1Co 10:32, 33.

soundness of mind: Or “good judgment; sensibleness.”​—See study note on 1Ti 3:2.

In the first century, many women parted their long hair in the middle, pulled it back, and fashioned it into a bun (1). Some women wore more elaborate hairstyles, braiding and curling their hair (2). To produce curls, hair was wrapped around a calamistrum, a hollow rod that had been heated over coals. Wealthy women wore fancier styles and usually had their hair done by a slave. Elaborately arranged styles required hairpins, combs, ribbons, and hairnets to hold the hair in place. The apostles Paul and Peter advised Christian women against drawing attention to themselves with extravagant hairstyles. Rather, women were encouraged to “adorn themselves . . . with modesty” and a “quiet and mild spirit.” Such qualities are highly valued by Jehovah.​—1Ti 2:9; 1Pe 3:3, 4.

See the link and also for a diagram of the difference between the way a 1st century Christian would do their hair, and the style among the richer women and their fancier style:

1 Timothy 2:9

It applies to men as well as women. It doesn't mean you can't braid your hair or wear jewelry. It means not to be gaudy. It means not to be ostentatious. It means not to dress in such a way as to draw attention to yourself, your status, or your wealth. It means to dress modestly with humility, in good taste. A Christian woman can certainly braid their hair, and can certainly wear make-up and jewelry. But they would not do it so as to show off, to draw attention to themselves, make others feel less important, stir up contentions and jealousies (which seem to be more common in women than men, and perhaps that was why it was directed especially toward the women.

Aside from this passage, there is not much else in the way of dress in the Christian Greek Scriptures. And there are a wide variety of cultures and dress in the world, and a wide variety that is appropriate for a Christian, in their culture, to wear according to the traditions of that land. Always must it be in good taste, clean, modest, and show soundness of mind, representing their clean and holy God Jehovah.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Why can't I own Canadians if I pay for them?

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

The evil temptresses.

Cue up the story of Samson and Delilah!!!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

originally posted by: quintessentone

The evil temptresses.

Cue up the story of Samson and Delilah!!!!!

I'll bet Samson had braids and was flamboyant.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:45 PM
link   
God doesn't give a rat's behind about how you wear your hair, or jewelry or any other such nonsense.

Man does.

edit on 2-4-2024 by chiefsmom because: spelling

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: lilzazz
Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Why can't I own Canadians if I pay for them?

The slavery referred to in the Mosaic Law Covenant and practiced back then is very different than the slavery that was practiced by later nations, especially during the slave trade among the nations of Christendom. Under the law slaves had many rights and were to be treated fairly and given the same justice as anyone else.

The Mosaic Law was also very loving of foreign residents in Israel. They were given the same rights as a native Israelite, and were to be treated with the same love:

"If a foreigner resides with you in your land, you must not mistreat him. The foreigner who resides with you should become to you like a native among you; and you must love him as yourself, for you were foreign residents in the land of Egypt. I am Jehovah your God."-Leviticus 19:33-34.

"You must not oppress a foreign resident. You know how it feels to be a foreigner, because you were foreign residents in the land of Egypt."-Exodus 23:9.

Slavery in Israel is more akin to hired labor by today's standards, and slaves were afforded many rights under the law that protected them from abuse.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join