It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the Russian economy is living under 20,000 Western sanctions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Hello ATS!

I have repeatedly written on the forum that Western sanctions only contribute to the growth of the Russian economy. Massive import substitution is taking place in various areas; there is a reorientation and change in logistics routes. and here's what it looks like in numbers:

Fuel and energy complex.

Coal production in 2023 amounted to 430 million tons. Since 2018, coal production has remained at a record level of 430-440 million tons (the only exception was 2020); the peak of the Soviet period was 425 million tons in 1988. Including coking coal production, it practically repeated the historical record of the previous year, amounting to 106 million tons.

Diesel fuel production in 2023 amounted to 88.2 million tons - for the third year in a row, updating the historical maximum (+4.1% by 2022).

The production of motor gasoline in 2023 amounted to 44 million tons - this is the best result since the mid-1980s. The maximum level of gasoline production occurred between the 1970s and 1980s (for example, in 1980, production amounted to 46.7 million tons).

Electricity generation in 2023 amounted to 1,178 billion kWh, which was another historical maximum (+0.7% by 2022).

Metallurgy

Steel production in 2023 amounted to 76 million tons - this is the second result in recent history (peak 2021 - 77.8 million tons); historical record - 94.1 million tons in 1988.

Production of finished rolled steel in 2023 amounted to 64.2 million tons - this is one of the best figures in history, second only to 2021 (65.9 million tons) and the peak of 1987-89. (65.5-66.5 million tons).

Production of steel pipes in 2023 amounted to 13.5 million tons - for the second year in a row, updating the historical maximum (+2% by 2022); peak of the Soviet period - 12.5 million tons in 1988 and 1989.

Chemical industry

Sulfuric acid production in 2023 amounted to 15.6 million tons - for the sixth year in a row, updating the historical maximum (+2.9% by 2022); peak of the RSFSR - 12.9 million tons in 1988.

The production of mineral fertilizers in 2023 amounted to 26 million tons of active substance - this is the second result in history, slightly inferior to the record of 2021 (26.4 million tons); peak of the Soviet period - 19.1 million tons in 1988

Plastics production in 2023 amounted to 10.7 million tons - this is the second result in history, second only to the record of 2021 (11.1 million tons). In particular, the production of polyethylene reached a record level - 3.54 million tons (+1% to the peak of 2021).

Production of paints and varnishes in 2023 amounted to 2182 thousand tons - this is the best result since 1991.

Timber industry complex

Production of particle boards in 2023 amounted to 11.6 million conventional units. cube m is a new historical maximum (+0.7% to the previous record of 2021); peak of the RSFSR - 5.65 million conventional units. cube m in 1989

Production of fibreboards in 2023 amounted to 703 million conventional units. sq. m is the second result in history (2021 record - 739 million conventional sq. m); peak of the Soviet period - 501 million conventional units. sq. m in 1988

Construction materials

Cement production in 2023 amounted to 62.9 million tons - after the collapse of the USSR, production was higher only in 2013-14. (up to 69 million tons); the RSFSR record is 84.5 million tons in 1989.

Production of prefabricated reinforced concrete structures and products in 2023 amounted to 28.5 million cubic meters. m is the best result since 2009, growth for the fifth year in a row.

The production of thermopolished glass in 2023 amounted to 164 million square meters. m, which is second only to the 2013-14 record. (up to 178 million sq. m) and exceeds the peak production of window glass in the RSFSR (156 million sq. m in 1986, the category was abolished in 2009).

Mechanical engineering

Bearing production in 2023 amounted to 61.6 million pieces - this is the best result in the last 10 years.

Production of metal-cutting machines in 2023 amounted to 9.3 thousand units - this is the best result since 1998, growth for the eighth year in a row. At the same time, operational data is usually significantly lower than the final ones; in 2022, the difference was about a thousand units.

Production of forging and pressing machines in 2023 amounted to 10.9 thousand units - this is the best result since 1993.

The production of freight cars in 2023 amounted to 63.6 thousand units - this is the fourth result in history; production was higher only in 2012 and 2018-2019. (record - 79.7 thousand units in 2019, more details here).

The production of passenger cars in 2023 amounted to 1,688 units - this is the fourth result in history; production was higher only in 2007-2008 and 2020. (record - 2143 pieces in 2008).

Light industry

The production of fabrics from chemical fibers in 2023 amounted to 652 million square meters. m is the best result since 1993, growth for the fourth year in a row; record of the Soviet period - 1084 million square meters. m in 1989

Knitwear production in 2023 was 204 million pieces, the best result since 1994, the fifth consecutive year of growth.

Hosiery production in 2023 amounted to 234 million pieces, the best result since 2014.

Production of footwear of all types in 2023 amounted to 128 million pairs, the best result since 1994.

Continued below...

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Light industry

The production of fabrics from chemical fibers in 2023 amounted to 652 million square meters. m is the best result since 1993, growth for the fourth year in a row; record of the Soviet period - 1084 million square meters. m in 1989

Knitwear production in 2023 was 204 million pieces, the best result since 1994, the fifth consecutive year of growth.

Hosiery production in 2023 amounted to 234 million pieces, the best result since 2014.

Production of footwear of all types in 2023 amounted to 128 million pairs, the best result since 1994.

Food industry

Sugar production in 2023 amounted to 6.66 million tons - this is the third or fourth result in history, second only to 2019 (7.26 million tons) and 1999 (6.81 million tons), and in the second case the overwhelming some were produced from imported raw materials, while since the mid-2010s. Almost all production is carried out from domestic raw materials. For reference: the peak of the Soviet period was 4.22 million tons of granulated sugar in 1989.

Sausage production in 2023 amounted to 2.47 million tons - nominally this is inferior to the 2012 record (2.53 million tons), however, the current data series (from 2016) is almost 10% less than the previous one (part of the production is taken into account in another category), so we can actually talk about a new historical maximum. For reference: the peak of the Soviet period was 2.28 million tons in 1990.

Butter production in 2023 amounted to 323 thousand tons - this corresponds to the level of 1996 and is slightly inferior to last year’s figure (326 thousand tons), but after clarification it should exceed it. For reference: the peak of the Soviet period was 832.5 thousand tons in 1990.

Cheese production (excluding cheese products) in 2023 amounted to 792 thousand tons - this is another historical maximum, growth for the tenth year in a row; peak of the RSFSR - 460 thousand tons in 1989

The production of vegetable oils in 2023 amounted to 9.5 million tons - this is another historical maximum (+17% by 2022); peak of the RSFSR - 1.35 million tons in 1968.

Cereal production in 2023 amounted to 1.86 million tons - this corresponds to the level of 1993; in 1986 production reached 3.1 million tons.

Confectionery production in 2023 amounted to 4.13 million tons, a new historical high; peak of the Soviet period - 2.87 million tons in 1990.

Feed production in 2023 amounted to 35 million tons - this is the best result since 1992, continuous growth has been going on since 2001; in 1990 production was 41 million tons.

Russia has returned about 1 million hectares of agricultural land to agricultural production in two years.

This was done as part of the state program for the effective involvement of agricultural lands in circulation and the development of the reclamation complex.

“This is the youngest state program, it started in 2022. 100 billion rubles have already been allocated for its activities. Funds are allocated, among other things, to projects to improve soil fertility, to projects to protect them from disposal, to update the reclamation fund, to land surveying and cadastral work,” the Ministry of Agriculture reported.

Land is a basic productive resource, “and, of course, we are obliged to use it rationally and wisely.”

The Ministry of Agriculture is also creating a unified federal map of agricultural land, which will appear by the end of 2025.

Salaries have increased many times over. There is a huge shortage of blue-collar jobs, especially highly qualified ones. There are no vacancies for truck drivers for less than 300 thousand rubles. Simple couriers and delivery people on electric bicycles and scooters receive more than 200 thousand rubles. The salaries of programmers during remote work have skyrocketed. At the same time, food prices in supermarkets, as Tucker Carlson said, are 8 times lower than in the United States.

The streets are full of cars, mostly new Chinese ones. Restaurants and cafes are full of visitors. New hospitals, clinics, schools, technology parks, high-speed roads and highways are constantly opening. Any services can be obtained via the Internet, your personal account on the State Services website. In terms of the level of comfortable environment, the leading cities in the world are now equal to Russia.

Of course, there are also problems, and there are many of them. But the Russians are ready to overcome them and say thanks to the West for the sanctions. More sanctions, even more sanctions! And we will live even better.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: RussianTroll

Ah Yeah , Seems those " Sanctions " are Really Hitting the Russians Hard at the Grocery Store , Да ? ....*)

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Well, at least you mentioned your life line once, China, for electric cars for some reason.

I'm sure if Cuba was literally right next door to them they'd be doing OK as well.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Mongolia and Burma are also close to China

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 04:35 AM
link   

I'm interested in the knitwear. Are you buying large quantities of Australian merino wool?

Russians return to buy Australian wool
www.knittingindustry.com...

Over 74% of Australian wool comes from sheep who have been 'mulesed'. The breed is simply not suitable for the climate and they are mutilated for the convenience of the farmer.

Merino wool is very soft, which is appreciated by those who prefer softer garments. It soaks up more water than other wools making it less effective in cold, wet weather. You would do better to use local wool.

This is a good system.

The business works as follows: first, you make an order on the project’s Instagram page. The managers then send your order – along with the yarn - to a certain grandma, who will hand-knit your item from home, which can be anywhere in Russia - Moscow, some small town in the backcountry, or a Caucasus mountain village. Then the piece is then delivered to you by mail – and you get your own babushka-made clothes to keep you warm in cold winters.
www.rbth.com...

Growth alone isn't enough, compassion has to be present.

Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man.
Arthur Schopenhauer
www.azquotes.com...

I suggest you put a compassionate Russian grandma in charge of your knitwear industry and drop the Australian merino.

edit on 18-2-2024 by TimBurr because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2024 by TimBurr because: spacing

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 04:37 AM
link   

They're doing fine as well in their own way. Because they are close to China.

The point being sanctions only work, unless you have an economy like Chinas to rely on.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TimBurr

Russia will not shoot itself in the foot, as the Europeans did with the “green agenda”.

All these environmentalists, Greenpeace and animal rights activists ultimately work for the benefit of international corporations.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I know Extinction Rebellion etc. are run by Intelligence Clowns. I've watched the Intelligence Clowns training them to be idiots in Stroud High Street.

I knew Jon Castle of Greenpeace. www.theguardian.com... He was a lying turd. I can't actually say here what I have personally seen him do. I can see how people like him steer gullible Greenpeace activists into actions that benefit the heartless corporate vultures.

Don't get me started on the 'animal rights activists'. I've lived and worked amongst them. Their ignorance is exceeded only by their pathetic need for an edgy image.

But I will speak up for the Australian merinos. Their treatment is barbaric.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 05:13 AM
link   

I never knew that about merino wool! Thank you Kester!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 05:15 AM
link   

We must fight injustice where it is born.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Whenever a particular animal fibre becomes fashionable the increase in demand leads to that type of animal suffering.

The injustice is born in the drive for faster growth.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Sounds like a Gosplan report from one of Stalin's Five Year Plans.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Sounds like a Gosplan report from one of Stalin's Five Year Plans.

And you also show your “report”. You can?
edit on 18-2-2024 by RussianTroll because: correct

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

I've only ever seen one commercial sized flock of sheep who were all healthy and loved their shepherds. Farming methods changed around the war years and most flocks became scared with many lame.

Lameness is a serious issue for the sheep industry. In Great Britain, the estimated cost from footrot alone is between £20-80 million each year.
ahdb.org.uk...

When I was young an old man told me the biggest change in sheep farming was the change in the sheep's attitude from trust and love to fear and terror.

I found a Herdwick jumper in a charity shop the other day.

. . . Herdwick descending from the Northern Pin Tail group of sheep probably introduced to Britain around 5,500 year ago.

Hollow kempy white fibres in the coat shed water quickly keeping the sheep dry protecting them from the high rainfall . . .
www.herdwick-sheep.com...

It's at the opposite end of the scale from merino. Very coarse but sheds water readily. You could shake the water out of it.

Russia has a diverse variety of native and locally developed sheep breeds with coarse, fine, and semi-fine wool, which inhabit different climate zones and landscapes that range from hot deserts to harsh northern areas.
gsejournal.biomedcentral.com...

Russia must have enough space to compassionately raise it's own wool.

edit on 18-2-2024 by TimBurr because: russia

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Now I've looked at this, gsejournal.biomedcentral.com... I can see the problem.

Currently, sheep breeding is recovering and turning its production to meat instead of wool. Thus, the proportion of wool breeds has decreased from 90% in 1990 to 56% in 2014, while that of meat types has increased from 10 to 44% [5]. These developments threaten many wool breeds and they have even abolished several of them.

Your native breeds should be honoured. They will provide you with all you need. Reliance on cruelly produced luxury fibres is decadence.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Why?
That's not the subject of this thread.

Just saying it reminds me of Gosplan reports that used to come out during the Soviet era.

I don't know what effect sanctions are having, don't really care.
Sanctions usually harm ordinary people far more than those who are responsible for the sanctions being imposed, I would guess this would be no different.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Why?
That's not the subject of this thread.

When did this bother you?)))

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 06:30 AM
link   
It's good to see the Russian economy is doing so well and that the people are thriving.

Can't say the same about the West.

Ignore the British idiot. The uk as a whole suffers from small man syndrome.

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I think you're confusing me with yourself RT.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join