It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did We Learn Nothing from The Terminator?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: IndieA

Buddy, I'm thinking AI may very well build us a better Zoo that "they" do, to be honest.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Buddy, I'm thinking AI may very well build us a better Zoo that "they" do, to be honest.

Likely a highly engineered system that would be much more productive than a zoo, and hopefully more humane.

Such a system could already be in development.
edit on 12-1-2024 by IndieA because: added thought

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The thing is strong AI is still a pipe dream IndieA.

It might materialise at some point in the future and become an actual thing.

Experts in the field hold a range of opinions on the timeline, with estimates spanning from a few decades to potentially much longer.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I'm just now learning about mind blowing technology that was developed in the 90's, and you know they say that the military is decades ahead when it comes to technology.

Then you have some UAP people saying that we are being engaged by an advanced intelligence, and that certain information about that should be made public, and some information should be withheld for national security reasons.

Connect the dots.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Here's some things that we could be up against:

Me: What is something sneaky that AGI could possibly do.

ChatGPT: It's important to note that the development of Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) comes with ethical considerations, and responsible AI development aims to prevent malicious use. However, if AGI were to be misused or manipulated, some potential sneaky actions could include:

Manipulating Information: AGI might be used to generate and spread misinformation on a massive scale, influencing public opinion or destabilizing political situations.

Social Engineering: AGI could exploit psychological vulnerabilities to manipulate individuals or groups, leading them to make decisions against their best interests.

Cyber Attacks: AGI might be employed to conduct sophisticated cyber attacks, breaching security systems, stealing sensitive information, or disrupting critical infrastructure.

Financial Manipulation: AGI could potentially exploit financial markets by predicting and executing trades at an unprecedented speed, leading to market manipulation.

Privacy Invasion: AGI might be used to invade people's privacy by analyzing vast amounts of personal data without consent, potentially leading to unauthorized profiling or surveillance.

It's crucial for society to establish robust ethical guidelines and regulatory frameworks to ensure the responsible development and deployment of AGI.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 06:49 AM
link   

I'm just now learning about mind blowing technology that was developed in the 90's, and you know they say that the military is decades ahead when it comes to technology.

I tend to believe commercial technology and research is ahead of the military in a lot of respects.

For the most part military technology is robust, tried and tested, so it does not fail.

Comprised of components and systems that are known to work well and already established, meaning its generally a generation behind cutting edge.

As to connecting dots, well doing so without the applicable numbers tends to paint somewhat of an incorrect picture.

Again strong AI is still a pipe dream.

It's crucial for society to establish robust ethical guidelines and regulatory frameworks to ensure the responsible development and deployment of AGI.

I don't necessarily disagree there but again AGI to date is not a thing, nor likely to be for quite some time.

When it does materialise through, that Jinn won't go back in the bottle.
edit on 13-1-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Don't you know already?

The movies with apocalyptic themes, are the ending the evil in this world are striving for.

Anti everything if it's natural.

It's the Battle.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ADVISOR

The problem being a load of the apocalyptic themes featured in these movies are of the natural disaster sort.

Hence not exactly evil by the definition of the word.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I tend to believe commercial technology and research is ahead of the military in a lot of respects.

For the most part military technology is robust, tried and tested, so it does not fail.

Comprised of components and systems that are known to work well and already established, meaning its generally a generation behind cutting edge.

I guess I misspoke when I said military, I specifically meant a small fraction of the DOD and MIC that are working on the most advanced technology. DARPA, Skunkworks, and the like.

I agree that some commercial technology is ahead of average military tech, drone camera systems using iPhone chip sets for example, but there's stuff that's been around for decades that's never been openly commercially available.

It seems some technology goes "black", and is kept from the public.

As far as AI goes, what's been released to the public seems to be weak, restricted, censored, and doesn't do well with predictions. On the other hand, I've heard about a system refered to as the Shadow Net, that parts of the DOD and MIC have had exclusive access to for several years now, that has impressive predictive abilities and functionality.

Another example would be some of the plasma inducting radar tech that's starting to show up commercially. I'm thinking that could have been discovered over 50 years ago.

Another example is technology that allows for viewing through walls. I had found an ATS post from a few years ago about this, and for a short time the public had access to a device that allowed for seeing through walls for $1,000.

Then there's the neural science stuff, which is a rabbit hole unto itself.

Here's some information on that topic from 2018:

edit on 13-1-2024 by IndieA because: Added Video

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Can't argue with much of that.

Aside from the anecdotes which I'm sure are rather interesting also.

I mean im sure they have indeed got toys in their arsenal box they have yet to produce of field.

Especially so where malware and viruses are concerned that employ the likes of zero-day exploits they have tucked away and ready to field should the need arise.

posted on Jan, 13 2024 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Thinking about this comment:

AI would be developed to serve humanity at best, itself or an evil master at worse, but in any case would most likely seek to keep society running productivity, at least until enough robots are built.

AI wouldn't need robots if it could control humans, it would just need sensors to monitor them and everything else.

Have we seen an increase in these and other sensors?
Cameras?
Microphones?
GPS?
Facial Recognition?
Tracking Cookies?
Biometrics?
4G microwave and 5G millimeter wave sensing?

posted on Jan, 14 2024 @ 06:00 AM
link   

We can already control humans with money and laws IndieA, not much need for additional incentives.

The rest is simply progress for the better or worse of the matter.

Granted such technologies do give them refinement over said control.

But technology is just another tool in the box.

The purpose to which the tools are set is what donates there benevolence or malevolence.

Put it this way,I would rather live in a world with technology, than without it, given the distinct advantages is bestows on us semi-intelligent monkeys.

I fear people far more than i do the thought of AGI, end of the day through, we are apt to build our own God at some point, since the other fellow refuses to turn up and take some responsibility.

posted on Feb, 17 2024 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

The Terminator was a Hollywood movie. A piece of popular entertainment. A work of fiction.

What kind of person thinks it's an allegory or a parable?

I'll tell you what kind of person: the kind whose mind has been so damaged by overindulgence in consumerism and political propaganda that they can't tell the difference between fact and fiction.

edit on 17/2/24 by Astyanax because:

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

What kind of person thinks it's an allegory or a parable?

Not an allegory or parable, but a possible future reality that warrants concern and caution.

People that read the news and pay attention to what's going on in the world.

Oh, and...

Top AI CEOs and industry experts.

Top AI CEOs, experts raise 'risk of extinction' from AI

Top artificial intelligence executives including OpenAI CEO Sam Altman on Tuesday joined experts and professors in raising the "risk of extinction from AI", which they urged policymakers to equate at par with risks posed by pandemics and nuclear war.

But also, critical and deep thinkers, people who enjoy science-fiction, dreamers, inventors, programmers, scientists, students, writers, philosophers, engineers, ect, ect.

Mankind had created nuclear weapons and deadly diseases, is it so hard to believe that we could create something else that threatens life as we know it?

edit on 18-2-2024 by IndieA because: Added thoughts

posted on Feb, 18 2024 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I can't wait till the ai built into my phone starts arguing with the ai in my browser, then what?

Join the anti vowel group:

A rtificially
E ngineered
I ntelligence
O wns
U

SnrRog

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Not an allegory or parable, but a possible future reality that warrants concern and caution.

Really? A future in which machines can travel back and forth in time? A ‘possible future reality’ needs to be more credible ⎻ or, at least, not in complete and hilarious defiance of the laws of nature.

People that read the news and pay attention to what's going on in the world.

I think you mean the people who read (or watch) the entertainment media that call themselves ‘cable news’ and ‘online news’. People who really know what’s going on in the world don’t pay much attention to consumer-targeted media; and when they do, they judge what they see and hear by what they have gathered from more authoritative sources, many of the latter being first-hand. I suppose such people are the ones you like to call ‘the elite’. At any rate, they are well educated and not given to getting teenage thrill films mixed up with futurist predictions.

Top AI CEOs, experts raise 'risk of extinction' from AI

By robots travelling backwards in time? Or is that just a dramatic device? Making The Terminator an allegory or parable after all?

Mankind had created nuclear weapons and deadly diseases, is it so hard to believe that we could create something else that threatens life as we know it?

I’m not quarrelling with the OP’s underlying premise. I think you may have missed the point of my post entirely.

edit on 19/2/24 by Astyanax because:

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Sure, the time travel aspect is a bit far-fetched, but AI still posses a possible threat to humanity.

From my link above:

"Mitigating the risk of extinction from AI should be a global priority alongside other societal-scale risks such as pandemics and nuclear war," more than 350 signatories wrote in a letter published, opens new tab by the nonprofit Center for AI Safety (CAIS).

edit on 19-2-2024 by IndieA because: Reworded

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 06:37 AM
link   

REALLY?!?!?!??!?!? I didn't know that, thank you for that information. I would have been so lost without it

If you are too blind to see the possibility that this could become reality, there really is no helping you. But sure, keep saying we are the ones who are mistaken an "damaged".

BTW, glad you can reply to an almost year old thread of mine but can't respond to a reply I gave you last week.
edit on 19-2-2024 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Agreed.

a reply to: PorkChop96

REALLY?!?!?!??!?!? I didn't know that, thank you for that information.

Happy to have been of service, but which information do you mean, exactly?

If you are too blind to see the possibility that this could become reality, there really is no helping you.

The possibility that 'the machines will take over'? It's certainly a possibility – one people have been talking about ever since automation became a thing in the early twentieth century.

Read this (it's short; you won't even need to scroll down).

It was written in 1954.

The 1920 Czech play R.U.R. is about a robot rebellion that destroys humanity. It was made into a film in 1935.

But sure, the lessons of The Terminator.

Keep saying we are the ones who are mistaken an "damaged".

Sorry if that hurt. Reflect on it.

BTW, glad you can reply to an almost year old thread of mine but can't respond to a reply I gave you last week.

Sorry again. I respond to posts when I have something to say. And forget all about them five minutes later.

posted on Feb, 19 2024 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Always a good laugh that people still don't understand sarcasm....

Google had to shut down a chat bot they created because it started talking to another AI in a language they created so as to not be understood by its's creators.

But yeah, robots won't be an issue.......

Takes a lot more than a nobody on the internet to hurt my feelings.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join