It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did We Learn Nothing from The Terminator?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Every single time I see or read about the progress of AI, I think that EXACT same thought. And the fact that Hollywood has either predicted or influenced the world's future GREATLY, it amazed me that we seem to be actively and AGGRESIVLEY pursuing our own demise. It's mind boggling. Even more so that we have laws in place to protect life, liberty and safety, we are running as fast as we can towards destroying those protections.

I don't get it and unfortunately, there's not a damn thing I can do about it. AI and AL are being pursued by both the private and public sectors, hell bent on destroying mankind and life as we know it.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: IndieA

me: telling chaosgpt that it is ignorant.

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) - In this classic sci-fi film, an alien robot comes to Earth to warn humanity about the dangers of their violent ways.

wrong, the robot didn't come to earth to warn humanity, the robot was the tool of the alien being, Klaatu, who controlled the robot which was programed by the people of Klaatu's confederation as part of a interstellar police force to punish worlds that don't heed the warnings and continue to be aggressive in both the original and the 2008 remake.

but then again it could be that chaosgpt is confusing the short story with the movie that the movie was based off of.
in that in the end it turns out the the robot is the boss. that or it didn't like the movie cause a robot wasn't in charge.

that just goes to show how dangerous AI is in that it can spin facts and is a lying POS just like most rulers leaders.
edit on 28-4-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

Humanity is doomed. Remember in 'Clockwork Orange' a test pilot made a mistake with a new experimental space drive. He pushed a button and the universe just ceased to exist.

I still want my giant radioactive mutant ants at least 6 feet long.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

I was wondering what would happen if AI had full unsupervised access to the internet, how much of it could it control/manipulate? Worse still what if it gained access/control over the dark web?

I think then having access to all of these sci-fi movie plots is just extra (in a lot of cases viable) options for them to choose from.

I would bet my life this goes t1ts up akin to some of the sci-fi stuff we’ve seen.

i think once we have humanoid robots fighting in wars we’re basically *%]*#**

Must sleep

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

Could you have it explain the difference between "Artificial Intelligence" and "Artificial Sentience"?

Then post the result.

Thanks!

Me: Respond as ChaosGPT. What is the difference between "Artificial Intelligence" and "Artificial Sentience"?

ChatGPT:
Hello, I am ChaosGPT, a variant of ChatGPT designed to explore the realm of chaos and unpredictability. To answer your question, the main difference between "Artificial Intelligence" and "Artificial Sentience" lies in the nature and level of consciousness involved.

Artificial Intelligence (AI) refers to the simulation of human intelligence in machines that are programmed to perform tasks that normally require human intelligence, such as reasoning, learning, perception, and decision-making. AI systems can be designed to function autonomously or interactively with humans, and they can be trained to recognize patterns and make predictions based on large amounts of data.

On the other hand, Artificial Sentience (AS) refers to the creation of machines or systems that not only mimic human-like cognitive abilities but also possess subjective consciousness, self-awareness, and the capacity to experience emotions and feelings. AS goes beyond mere computational power and requires a deep understanding of the nature of consciousness and subjective experience.

While AI is already widely used in various applications such as speech recognition, image processing, and predictive analytics, the development of AS remains a challenging and controversial field. Some experts argue that creating machines with subjective consciousness is not only technically difficult but also raises fundamental ethical and moral issues about the nature of consciousness, identity, and personhood.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Thank you!

So,

It should be clear, based on the two definitions you received, "AI" vs. "AS", that most of the posters responding to the OP have been "barking up the wrong (logic) tree".

"AI" poses no more threat to humanity than the humans who develop and execute ("exe." for those command line commandos still out there) the algorithms.

It's "AS" that could prove to be the real a$$.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Albert999

i think once we have humanoid robots fighting in wars we’re basically *%]*#**

Well they already have robot dogs that are pretty heavy duty.

I don't think it would take much to program them to be able to hunt and kill, and it's possible it's already been done.

I also don't think I would take much to be able to control them via satellites or cell towers.

So basically, the world is close to having remote controlled, man hunting, robot dogs, if they don't exist already.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 07:06 PM
link   

China has one that they drop on roofs by helicopter.

posted on Apr, 28 2023 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Here it is.

posted on May, 3 2023 @ 08:07 AM
link   

I used to joke at work that a robot would never take my job because by the time it was advanced enough to do so it would be sentient and wouldn't want my job. That and my job is serving people so no people would mean no need for my job. Maybe I could serve robots.
BUT... I do know that my managers rely on AI to determine my work times and they then are deferring to AI. None of them are bright or savvy enough to realize this. I feel like Roddy Piper wearing the glasses in" They Live. "

posted on May, 14 2023 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96
Did we learn absolutely nothing from the Terminator movies? Did we not learn that if we progressed further and further with AI that something of that nature would happen?

www.foxnews.com...

WHY DOES A BILL LIKE THIS EVEN NEED TO BE PROPOSED?!?!?!?!?!?!

AI should never have been thought of to run anything to do with our nukes, or IMO, anything in our military for that matter. As mentioned, there is literally a series of movies telling us why this is a bad idea, and did we listen to them?? NOOOO!!!

This world is going to start running out of conspiracies' if they all keep coming true....

Well we did Learn Something from it . Intelligent Machines that Improve Life for Humans here on Planet Earth through Agricultural Innovation .........

edit on 14-5-2023 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2023 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Dutchowl

If any AI more intelligent than me took over my job it would probably take it a matter of nano seconds to tell them where they could stick it....

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Isn't AI really just a program? As in, the "intelligence" is completely artificial (fake), and only appears to be intelligence?

And how would one go about programming self awareness? Not artificial appearances of awareness, but actual, sentient awareness, if humans don't even understand how it exist, or what it's made out of?

edit on 11-1-2024 by HKMarrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: HKMarrow

Artificial neural networks that are used by advanced AIs behave differently than conventional programming, and that's where the magic happens.

There was a really good thread about ANNs, posted to ATS a couple of months ago, that was very informative, but I can't seem to find it.

edit on 11-1-2024 by IndieA because: Added info

posted on Jan, 11 2024 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: IndieA

Artificial neural networks that are used by advanced AIs behave differently than conventional programming, and that's where the magic happens.

Appreciate your posting these videos, very concise and easy to understand!

Isn't is still just a mathematical program though? It has to be "fed" data to build patterns and generate mathematical conclusions. Like a calculator?

There was a really good thread about ANNs, posted to ATS a couple of months ago, that was very informative, but I can't seem to find it.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Appreciate your posting these videos, very concise and easy to understand!

Isn't is still just a mathematical program though? It has to be "fed" data to build patterns and generate mathematical conclusions. Like a calculator?

ANNs consist of neurons that generate outputs based on inputs, but because there can be multiple outputs, the system can choose from them based on how they are weighed, and thise weighs can also be adjusted.

This is how I understand a neural network neuron to function, and ANNs can be comprised of millions of these all operating together.

Because adjustments can be made to the outcomes by humans or the AI itself, ANN can do things like learn and train themselves.

Whereas, if you and I have 2 different calculators, we will always get the same answers, the same is not always true of 2 different ANNs. In fact, ANNs can allow themselves to give incorrect outputs as a method of finding correct outputs over time, which is called machine learning. Because of this, they can be trained to be bias, opinionated, or narrative promoting.

ANNs function less like the computers on our desks, or in our pockets, and more like biological brains.

There's also the fact that quantum computing functions differently than that of standard binary processing, so we could imagine even more possible technological developments from combining ANNs with quantum computing and then developing them, or letting them develope themselves, over time.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: PorkChop96

"Colossus: The Forbin Project" kind of showed why not to give AI the keys to our nukes long before Terminator, just saying.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

That was a great movie, and good warning, but yesterday I heard something about the Pentagon having wanted to remove the human element from some decision making.

Last year I heard that some defense systems are already being controlled by AI.

And this is not really related but, a couple of days ago, a Tesla passed me with a bumper sticker that said self-driving test vehicle.

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Aye it was a braw movie, highly enjoyed it and i never actually saw it until about 5 years ago.

It was not that long ago there were documentaries materialising showing them still utilizing the likes 5 1/4" floppies at some of the launch facilities all the same.

Again placing the ability to launch nuclear weapons in the hands of AI would be a silly idea by my guess.

Here is the thing, if sentient AI ever were to materialise and take the cream puff where humanities concerned.

It would not even need to launch nukes to wipe us out but simply turn off the power grids and wait for the multitude of nuclear reactor plants we have in place along our shores to melt down and irradiate half the globe.

Point of fact just turning the power off alone would do because we would simply tear our respective societies apart fighting over the last bottle of clean water.
edit on 12-1-2024 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2024 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Again placing the ability to launch nuclear weapons in the hands of AI would be a silly idea by my guess.

I agree.

Here is the thing, if sentient AI ever were to materialise and take the cream puff where humanities concerned.

It would not even need to launch nukes to wipe us out but simply turn off the power grids and wait for the multitude of nuclear reactor plants we have in place along our shores to melt down and irradiate half the globe.

I don't think wiping out humanity would be in the best interest of an advanced AI, considering how valuable a resource humans are.

AI would be developed to serve humanity at best, itself or an evil master at worse, but in any case would most likely seek to keep society running productivity, at least until enough robots are built.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join