It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown New Planet near the Sun?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by indianajoe77
Its been explained in a number of threads that what you are seeing is a filter on the satellite making an adjustment, hence the "brightness" then back to normal look of the sun.

simple question

If that is the case, why didn't SOHO simply post the whole days footage/photos and simply note somewhere on the page or in the description that the object was a 'filter on the satellite'

Why?

-B.M

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

edit on 7-12-2010 by rajaten because: lol

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It's an eclipse! LOL!!!

Oh that would go unnoticed for so long today, LOL!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
If it was the Moon, how come there was no sun eclypse seen from earth that day? Does anyone know exactly where this telescope is located? Because even if in orbit of Earth, we technically should have seen a partial eclipse....
WHAT COULD IT BE?

Your explanations please.

Well I think it is indeed the Moon and this happens every month in my opinion.
Check last month Nov. 06 2010
sdoisgo.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well it seems I made someone's enemy list by posting on this thread. I'm sure this won't do me any favors then, but here goes. Here's an image from Orbiter after importing the orbital elements of SDO and looking towards the sun. Sure enough, it was the moon. Disregard the funny looking spaceship, that's just a placeholder to visualize where SDO would be in space:
i319.photobucket.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
It is NOT the moon.

The SOHO satellite is at the L1 Lagrange Point.

en.wikipedia.org...

You can see in that link where the L1 Lagrange point is, and where the moon is.

SOHO can never see our moon. Our moon is far behind it by hundreds of thousands of miles.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
It is NOT the moon.

The SOHO satellite is at the L1 Lagrange Point.

en.wikipedia.org...

You can see in that link where the L1 Lagrange point is, and where the moon is.

SOHO can never see our moon. Our moon is far behind it by hundreds of thousands of miles.

It is the moon. The satellite in question is SDO, not SOHO. SDO is in geosynchronous orbit ~37,000km above earth. It can and does see the moon pass in front of the sun. I just imported SDO's orbit into a simulator and used that data to see what the sunward view would have looked like, the image I posted in my previous post shows just that.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

We'll be like Moe and Curly chasing each other around a dining room table.

Exquisite mental image!

Now....put socks on Moe and Curly, and add a wolf to the tableau....and you have an example of "lupostoogeslipaphobia"

(The irrational fear of a wolf chasing Stooges while wearing socks on a slippery surface). Like a kitchen floor, for example.

It is a more advanced stage of simple "luposlipaphobia"....since it tosses in the complications of Stooges....:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/57dd366e941b.jpg[/atsimg]

Many of these unnecessary "fear mongering" type threads leave a distaste in some people's mouths. Like, chasing one's tail, and actually catching it in your teeth.... :shk:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Im so glad I searched for this thread because I knew I had read it. I came across this today which might help at least clear up the moon factor.

I am also in the camp of, if it is meerly a lens cap or whatever, Why do they hide the fact? That really makes no sense.

Anyhow here is possible proof it isnt the moon:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

You just posted a video about SOHO???

If you've read through the thread,,,,it was NOT a SOHO image in the OP. SDO.

Totally different.

Do people really think some UTube joker is going to "find" something that thousands of professional and amateur astronomers would miss??

edit on 8 December 2010 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I can't wait for late March, when the SDO enters its eclipse season and the Earth partially eclipses the Sun for up to an hour each day. We should see a ton of threads then.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
It's a UFO.

Well until you find out what it is then it remains a UFO.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Thanks for clarifying that ngchunter.

--The SOHO satellite has nothing to do with these images.---

End of debate.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
What if the SDO is in collusion with TPTB to present that...

What if we just witnessed planet x or one of its moons and we all have let it slide...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten

What if we just witnessed planet x or one of its moons and we all have let it slide...

How can a satellite's orbital elements be in collusion with TPTB? You can verify that they're the correct orbital elements and they objectively show that it must have been the moon.

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ocker

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
It's the Moon.

These are pictures of the Moon getting in the way between the Solar Dynamic Orbiter (SDO) spacecraft and the Sun (this is called a "transit" of the Moon, which is essentially an eclipse). It also happened back on November 6th and also back in October. The people running the SDO spacecraft knew this transit was going to occur.

Sources:
Novermber 6 SDO Lunar Transit (with mention of the Dec 6 transit)

October 7 Transit SDO Website

The funniest part is that in a very similar thread concerning the November 6th transit, I predicted that a another like that would be started after the December 6th transit. I guess I was right.

Here's that post from November:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 12/7/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

its the Moon... what Moon ?

The satellite is 1.5 million kilometers from earth that is four times the distance of our moon.

It is in a direct line with the Sun.
NASA states that it has an uninterrupted view
which means not broken, discontinued, or hindered

Also this is not a lens shutter or camera apparatus the object was captured passing for twenty five minutes.

have a look at the reflection

My first thoughts were mercury as seen here by the Hinode satelite

Remember NASA's own words has an uninterrupted view

i like to moon theory...only 1 question which will help in closing the case for me...in that close up/reflection photo of the said planet..why i cant see meteor impacts/craters in the moon?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Here's a photo I took recently of a strange dark circle above my house.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/018221918937.jpg[/atsimg]

Could it be a shadow perhaps?

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by You Will Never Know
reply to post by Arken

Here's a photo I took recently of a strange dark circle above my house.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/018221918937.jpg[/atsimg]

Could it be a shadow perhaps?

I'm going to make a guess that is a sun dog you are looking at.
A rather weak one, but it still falls within the definition I think. Your picture seems to be at either sunrise, or sunset, so we do not see the sun in the pic, otherwise it would likely be more spectacular.
Sun Dogs

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by You Will Never Know

That's an ice halo around the Sun. They're caused by the sunlight reflecting and refracting off of ice crystals in our atmosphere.

here's a good resource that describes these and other atmospheric optical effects:
www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by rajaten

The SDO is in orbit around Earth at the same distance that communication satellites are orbiting (about 22,000 miles or 37,000 km).

If Planet X looked that big from the vantage point of SDO, it would look about that big from our vantage point here on Earth -- so why haven't we seen it? (and please people, don't link me pictures of the Sun with lens flare)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join