It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats wrong with "hippies"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What's wrong is that most hippies aren't actually hippies.

A good rule of thumb is that, if they call themselves a hippie, they likely aren't an actual hippie.

I know quite a few people I would considered "true hippies" (been in the counter culture before even the 60's) and not a single one calls themselves a hippie. In fact they find the term insulting.

What's wrong with most hippies who call themselves hippies is that they are mindless idiots seeking pleasure through '___' and other drugs without making anything of them or of themselves. They don't think for themselves, they let a trend speak for them.

That's what's wrong with most hippies.

And honestly the biggest farce is the idea that most hippies are marxist far leftists. Most true hippies I know of are actually anarchists and believe it or not, constitutionalists.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by casijones
Most of the hippies I know are a joke. I said this in another post.. Most 'hippies' my age, are all burnt out druggies. They wear the tyedye, they listen to the dead, they go to festivals... and that's about it. They don't stand for anything. They don't care about what's going on in the world. Pretty much, those kinds of "hippies" are giving the real ones a bad name.

I donno, man. That seems to speak more to the folks you're hangin' out with than to 'hippies' in general.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

no! TO ME THE WORD HIPPIE IS A TYPE OF PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT EA AND ITS INHABITANTS AND DONT MIND CONGRAGATING WITH MANY OF DIFFERENT KINDS. I SAY I AM A MODERN 1 BECAUSE I RESPECTED THEIR MOVEMENTS IN THE PAST AND LOVED HOW THEY VIBED WHEN TOGETHER... YES YES MANY WERE STONERS AND ECT. BUT THEY HAD SOME OF THE BEST VIBRATIONS WITH THE LOVE THE SHARED WITH COMPLETE STRANGERS... not screaming by the way just in a caps typen mood peace
edit on 12/7/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by SpectreDC

no! TO ME THE WORD HIPPIE IS A TYPE OF PEOPLE WHO CARE ABOUT EA AND ITS INHABITANTS AND DONT MIND CONGRAGATING WITH MANY OF DIFFERENT KINDS. I SAY I AM A MODERN 1 BECAUSE I RESPECTED THEIR MOVEMENTS IN THE PAST AND LOVED HOW THEY VIBED WHEN TOGETHER... YES YES MANY WERE STONERS AND ECT. BUT THEY HAD SOME OF THE BEST VIBRATIONS WITH THE LOVE THE SHARED WITH COMPLETE STRANGERS... not screaming by the way just in a caps typen mood peace
edit on 12/7/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

When will you be in a "lowercase typen mood"?

Sometime soon?

How about getting in a "correct spelling mood" too.

Congregating.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by casijones
Most of the hippies I know are a joke. I said this in another post.. Most 'hippies' my age, are all burnt out druggies. They wear the tyedye, they listen to the dead, they go to festivals... and that's about it. They don't stand for anything. They don't care about what's going on in the world. Pretty much, those kinds of "hippies" are giving the real ones a bad name.

I agree with this to an extent. I saw MANY burnt out druggies wearing tie dies at festivals that really are just in it for the drugs, money, and "scene", and a little bit of music. But I also met A LOT of people who were only about the peace, love, and happiness.

Also regarding

They don't care about what's going on in the world

I think it is important to care about what is going on in this world, and I think many more people do care for the problems in the world than the ATS gives credit to. To create peace in the world however, you must find peace within, and then when your surrounding is in peace the rest will domino.

My perception of the word "hippy" is just a joke. I say it to anyone I see dancing, to anyone I see smoking, to anyone I hear even remotely question authority. It is a fun word. When I see people talking about "blah blah blah true hippies this fake hippies that" I just want both sides to realize they are doing no good.
edit on 7-12-2010 by kyle43 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Then you obviously don't know, nor are friends with a true " hippie " do to the fact, that those who are labeled as such, and are as many claim, " earthy " people, you would know that that includes, no personal hygiene, an intolerance for responsibility, and lack of true reality. No true " Hippie " is as you claim, are up to speed with modern technology. They would deem that a tool of the imperialistic politico.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

I disagree... one couple I know went to Berkley, actually protested the Viet Nam War, lived in a couple of communes, and eventually migrated back east to the female's home state of NC. They moved back onto her dad's farm...and have goats, sell soap...and the male repairs computers...even removed a couple of viruses on mine. Nice folks....

I met them after I moved way out into the country and we were both ostracized by the nice but clannish people of our community...adversity creates odd bed fellows. They were hippies and I wasn't related to anybody here from birth.

Another married couple of hippies buy firewood from me.... they have a little compound, an earth house, organic garden, and just enough different to be suspect by the locals and not get invited to the local fish frys and BBQ fund raisers... so I invite them and some folks still look at us funny... up pulls my pick up with a goat cage on the back, and out of the back seat pops a 55 year old woman with too many beads and sun tatoos and no bra and her hubby with more hair on his face than on top of his head...and me with my jeans and hunting cap and my wife with a camo sweat and muck boots.... odd felloows in deed.

Your argument that all hippies must fit your mold is like saying all southerners have to be in the KKK to be really southern... not so.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

OK, why stop them? You should stop speading the hate my friend. Nothing good can come of that. Have they done anything to you? I don't meen the scavengers that want everything for free. I meen the ones that promote love, peace and the equilibrium between Earth and her inhabitants. If the world had more people like that this planet would be a pretty sweet place to live on.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BigTimeCheater

My bad

back to small caps.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Didn't suggest any type of " mold ", simply identified the "hippies " in my respective town. And addressed the reasons why they need to be eradicated.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by casijones

You laugh at us because we are different...we laugh at you because you are all the same.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Peace love and happiness is a pipe dream in a world of hate and greed. Unless you don't pay taxes. Just because you shut yourself out of the real world, does not mean there are no more problems. I personally know a few real hippies and while it would be nice to sit and trim buds all day, I try to keep my feet planted in the real world(as much as it stinks sometimes) as much as possible, because when the crap hits the fan I want to be aware.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by casijones

You laugh at us because we are different...we laugh at you because you are all the same.

Catchy little phrase there, I laughed at it about 20 years ago when I first saw it on a tshirt.

That being said, hippies deserve to be mocked, humiliated, and embarrassed.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
i was going to repley but then noticed all the "neg vibes" so i move on to much enlightening post. most normal folks like to revel in negativity but not me i am HIPPIE!
respectfully
-jplaysguitar

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You need a definition of "hippie" to form any argument about them. Hippies from the 60s, Beat-nicks from the 50s or the ever popular term Bohemian which signifies the starving artist type.

Webster' Dictionary: "Bohemian . . . a gypsy; an artist living an unconventional life."

What are we actually talking about here?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

I think it's ok for a hippy to jokingly call another hippy a "hippy." I think when people are serious about hating hippies it has to do with their jealousy of how free hippies can be. Some squares just hate everyone that isn't a nazi conformist cheerleader, to borrow a phrase from another user's name.
edit on 7-12-2010 by WashingtonGrewHemp because: missing letter

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
There are a lot of cowboy hippies and long haired rednecks where I live and we don't hate anyone..... I don't take offense at being called either because the people I know use it to describe good people and not as a derogatory label... If you are basing what you call a person a hippie on anything other than people you personally knew at least 40 years ago, you aren't old enough to know what the hell you are talking about.... I am soon going to celebrate my 61st birthday, have a pony tail, beard and spent the Summer of Love dressed in Marine green with the 9th Marines just south of the DMZ..... Have a nice day Haters.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I have never met a hippie that wasn't a self-obsessed, trend-sucking poseur.

Your run of the mill hippie will have a bucketload of opinions and sociopolitical positions, beliefs and assumptions and become angry when the world doesn't conform to those positions. they are largely incapable of a genuinely original thought, and will instead follow what they consider to be the most "hippie" position.

Hippies believe that it is "groovy" to preach a communal lifestyle, until the bills stop getting paid and they actually have to work for sustenence. To a person, they tend to be the yellowist cowards on the planet.

Paternal hatred drives the hippie lifestyle. These people grew up hating their fathers. As adults, that hatred is projected onto the world.

Hippies stink. They have no morals than those that allow an unabashed pleasure-seeking, self-aggrandizement and reinforcement of their own flawed, narcissistic entitlement.

The hippie "generation" ruined this country. without exception, every single one of the social ills we face today can be legitimately blamed on the hippie culture of the 1960s.

I truly hate them.

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

The people you are talking about certainly existed in the late 60s on into the mid 70, but by the 80s they were the sell outs that became Yuppies when they got a Daddy by the name of Ronald Reagan..... Greed is good. Right?

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I don't understand why everyone's being so hippycritical.

Oh yes I did.

Been wanting to let that one out for at least two months...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join