It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats wrong with "hippies"?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Much of modern society has adopted the hippie beliefs of the 60's. Things such as ecology, anti-racism and sexism, reclyling, green living, conservation, anti-materialism, and hatred of war have become commonplace. The only war they lost was the sexual revolution. You may hate them, but they changed the world for the better.

LOL!!!

This is the funniest thing I've heard in about a week!!!

the 60's "revolution" brought us rampant sexually transmitted disease in cluding HIV and AIDS, fatherless homes, the "global warming" lies, hypocracy, erosion of a once great educational system, hatred of their elders, the false doctrine of political "correctness", widespread drug use and addiction that culminated in the "war on drugs", eventual mass murder in indochina, and the crappiest fashion trends in the history of the planet.

The "hippies" of the 1960s grew up to be carter baby boomer yuppies who preached one thing but practiced another. they robbed their grandchildren and greatgrandchildren in order to fund their own selfish ends through massive social security initiatives, they went out and bought ford explorers and cadillac escalades and then self righteously wag their fingers in the face of the companies that supply oil and gasoline, they protested the vietnam war vigorously in the name of peace but stopped the protests cold as soon as the draft ended, they preached "love not war" but waged covert proxy wars and conducted assasinations on every continent, and then turned around and sold classified military secrets and materiel to our sworn enemies, they preached to us about honesty and free speech and then turned around and gave us the patriot act, the tsa, and illegal wiretaps on american citizens.

They invented automatic debt at birth, the system of lies and neuroticism, and the culture of fear, fear of the body, fear of sex, fear of being a real person, fear of having your own views, fear of not being one of the STUPID INSIPID PACK OF SELF RIGHTEOUS ICONOCLASTS THAT PREACH ONE THING AND DO ANOTHER.

No single group has done more in killing, destroying, maiming and undermining peace and tranquility in the world than the 1960s "hippie". They were a plague and a pox then, and they will be until the last one is rotting in the ground.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by earthdude

I agree with you. My thoughts are along the line of that if most of the people who are under 50 were to be transferred back to the sixties-- they would be labeled hippies, just for the way they would be thinking. hair or no hair.

Conformity had a huge grip.

Society bought the status quo hands down along with all the institutions
You could not walk downtown without dressing up.. Churches were all powerful. Gays stayed in the closet. It was illegal for couples to live together without being married. You never saw a black person who prospered- it happened, but was very rare. Women were expected to be housewives only. There was a draft and people you knew were dying in a war they did not want to fight, while the sons of doctors, lawyers, and the well to do, escaped the draft through college deferments.

At least some of them stood up and did something. made their voice heard one way or another. There are good and bad in any group and somehow all the hippies got labelled for some of the failed ideals. I hear a lot of chatter around here about standing up to Big Brother, the evils of corporatism, and the likes. very reminiscent of the hippie movement. Possibly anyone who would be a leader these days is full of mind chemicals and placated for being "not right"

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
What I can say about the "hippie movement" - - which was a political movement that coincided with the separate drug movement is:

If you weren't there - - you just don't know.

It was truly something that had to be experienced.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

this is a funny subject. well, most people who say they are hippies are just losers who wear stupid clothes, eat health food, and pretend that they care about the environment. wearing some stupid skirt with flowers on it does not make you a hippy. growing out your hair and hanging up jim morrison posters does not make you a hippy. if you really cared about the environment you wouldn't live a consumer type of lifestyle. if you cared about the earth you wouldn't dump millions of pounds of trash on it in your lifetime. if you cared about the environment you wouldn't be driving around in a car polluting the air, and you probably wouldn't be chilling on the internet shoveling junk food into your mouth either. you would probably be living in a commune growing vegetables and bathing once every three weeks so chances are you are not a hippy. it is more likely that you think you are "different" and a "free spirit" like the five million other wannabe hippies out there, you are probably a big phony. peace

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Many of today's youth tend to homoginize the past. They think everyone was a hippie back in the 60's. They do not realize that the people who always had the power were not hippies. But you are right, many changed their stance on how to make this a better world. Many still fight the fight. Sad thing is, the rednecks bred too.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Because they are, pretty much by definition, filthy, dope-smoking, lazy, idiotic losers and silly idealists with no grip on reality. They smell. They're awful to look at. They're worse to try and communicate with. Luckily, they're mostly a bygone relic by now.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2

No single group has done more in killing, destroying, maiming and undermining peace and tranquility in the world than the 1960s "hippie". They were a plague and a pox then, and they will be until the last one is rotting in the ground.

I think you are letting your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

Wouldn't you think the Nazi, rightwing Facist, militaristic Pol Pot, Zionists, etc, deserve some of the credit for destroying, maiming, and undermining peace and tranquility on the planet more than a few counterculture hippies? I would!
edit on 8-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Yeah, well, I smoke weed and have hair halfway down my back. I also scored 165 on the Stanford-Binet, graduated summa cum laude (4.0 GPA) from DeVry University and I am probably more in tune with the so-called "real world" than 99% of the people on this board- based on the comments that I read.

With that said. My question to the intolerance crowd- How is what you define as the "real world" any better than the "real world" that a person in Humboldt County experiences? Just because you prefer to stress yourself out fighting a fight that you can't possibly win? The "hippy's" real world is different, but no less "real" than yours.

Oh, and I'm one of the people who fights the unwinnable fight, but I also don't put down the "hippies" either. I live in Northen California and I have many friends that you would define negatively as hippies. I, too, find them to be naive, but that's OK. They are generally good people and I find them to be refreshing after dealing with the "real world".

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Replicator EYD

Yes, and ignorant, judgemental morons like you just make the world a so much nicer place to live.

Does this site have an ignore feature?

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by subliminalsubconcious
reply to post by kyle43

Did somebody say all good? WOOOOO!! What a time every time. but being on topic if you know alot of hippies you come to realize that there are many different kinds good bad and inbetween. i can tell within 3 minutes how they are and if im going to like them or not. you meet ones that end up becoming a freind temporary or not and youll meet people that just ....... well you get the idea. people consider me a hippie but i work and go to school dont smell or apply to many of the other things i've seen posted on here. in the summer i do stop working but i take it to relax and spend time in my cabin most of the summer and come home or go see shows for the weekends. but it's cool cuz i can afford to do this because im good with controlling my money and make more than enough to compensate and yes i work a normal job just like everyone else. i grow my own food in the summer i hunt every spring and winter to save money and eat better. i dont have a tv at home cuz i got eveything i need on my pc and and i prefer reading books and stuff anyways. i mean i could go on and on but people will have theyre opinions regardless. now that i just thought of that it may have been pointless to have just typed all that but oh well.

I knew I wasn't the only ATS'er at All Good!

I completely agree, I can usually tell if I will get along with someone within the first five minutes of interacting with them and like you said, you will find every type of "hippy" that could define anyone's definition of "hippy". You will find the old burned out heads, that have been doing the peace love happiness thing for years, you will find the kids that wear a tie die and have a hemp necklace on that like electronic dance music and excessive amounts of drugs. Don't judge these people by their habits, get to know them, or at least make the effort...I promise many would be surprised at the caliber of people that many consider "hippies".

Some people who don't know me on a personal level, consider me a hippy as well. I wear tie dies occasionally, have long hair, go to shows, ect ect. When I look in the mirror I just see myself with no labels, and I'm sure many of the other festival goers are the same as me.

I think what people need to understand is that just because someone doesn't scower the internet looking for the entrance to the rabbits hole, or post regularly on ATS, that they don't know we are getting boned by the governments, and that Earth is in serious need of change. Infact, I can't count how many people I heard briefly mentioning the show Ancient Astronauts this summer and how much they agreed with it. Personally, I think that its not that people don't think about issues, its just that we are ALL afraid to share our opinions on them on a face to face level, mainly because it is such a real topic of discussion.

At the end of the day, what difference are we here on ATS making that is so much bigger than a "hippy" that has a general opinion on all things conspiracy. Nothing. No difference. If anything, it is my opinion that the ones spreading good vibes and love are the ones truly making a difference, "conspiracy theorist" or "hippy" is not important.
edit on 8-12-2010 by kyle43 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
My neighbor is a hippie. She's been running a non-profit that has been feeding the needy for nearly 15 years. I know another hippie, who is more your stereo typical type, smoking weed and listen to the dead type guy, he's a master carpenter who has been building houses all over SF for 40 years. I know a younger hippie, about 33, she travels back and fourth from India importing clothing to sell at festivals. She is free spirit, and lover of life.
Nothing wrong with hippies, nothing at all.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
All i hear is hate and needless slander.

To hell with peace and love and niceness?

No wonder i'm so sad in this world.

Do you ever wonder why "hippies" "live in their own "fantasy" world"?

Maybe its because the majority of you #ed up the rest of it for them, so they are enjoying what they can, while they can, they way they do.

There is so much hate on this site, and 99 times out of 100 its 100% unnecessary.

This world disgusts me, as do most of you.

Who are you to tell someone how to live?

Who are you to tell someone whether or not they are allowed to live off the land, and not work a paid job, or have to shower or not?

Everyone needs to just get along.

Burn in hell 75% of ats.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I feel the OP needs a lesson in history and english. Words change, when someone calls someone a dirty hippy, they are not calling them an old school 60s hippy, or a new age lets all go to a festival, buy and sell as many drugs as possible, no that's not the reason.

Its just a slang term for a dirty person or a bum. That's all. There is no insulting. This topic pisses me off beyound belief, its like when homosexuals get their panties in a bunch for people using the term "gay" as a adjective to describe something lame. They obviously don't care about homoseuals, and the term was not coined to hurt them, they are just butthurt.

Same as calling someone retarded. If someone does something incredibly dumb, i'd call them a retard, that doesn't mean i'm dissing mentally handicaped, it means that the person is being stupid.

English is a constantly evolving language, words change meanings, and pick up additional meanings.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I am not too sure why people dislike Hippies...

I think the word Hippie is long gone now though!

Being someone who cares for the environment and general welfare for this world I can say that It doesn't matter what anyone thinks of you... You can't change who you are!

Peace

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thunderabove

This world disgusts me, as do most of you.

You should probably just delete your account and never post here again since you are so disgusted.

Who are you to tell someone whether or not they are allowed to live off the land, and not work a paid job, or have to shower or not?

I am someone who doesnt want the taxes I pay being redistributed to some parasitic hippie. They are free to do what they want as long as it doesnt impact my wallet. As for their not showering, they can do whatever they want, but they shouldnt take offense when someone tells them that they smell like 2 week old roadkill rotting in the sun.

Burn in hell 75% of ats.

Very mature

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by MMPI2

I think you are letting your ideology get in the way of your common sense.

Wouldn't you think the Nazi, rightwing Facist, militaristic Pol Pot, Zionists, etc, deserve some of the credit for destroying, maiming, and undermining peace and tranquility on the planet more than a few counterculture hippies? I would!
edit on 8-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

It is beyond debate that hippies empowered those people that went on to murder generations of cambodian, vietnamese, laotians, russians, and anybody else that fought the communist agenda. We had idiots like Jane Fonda that actually funded and supported in person the people that went on to execute tens of thousands of innocent people.

Hillary, Bill, robert Reich, Cass Sunstein, G H W Bush, Bill Ayers, Barack Obama, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, ad nauseum and the rest of the pot-smoking idiots in charge now bought into the hippie agenda and are trying to carry it out as we speak. they are the ones that set the patriot act into motion. they are the ones that now kill potentially innocent afghani and iraqi civilians.

hippies told us that it was OK to have sex whenever and wherever we wanted, and then disavowed responsiblity when the AIDS virus started spreading like wildfire. "Merry pranksters", indeed. We have all been pranked by these people.

there is no ideology here. it is provable fact. the hippie generation laid waste to culture. they are proximately and directly the cause of the mess we are in now.

there is no debate about this.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz

With that said. My question to the intolerance crowd- How is what you define as the "real world" any better than the "real world" that a person in Humboldt County experiences?

You are referring to the people in Humboldt County in which almost 20% live below the poverty line right?

Yea, I'm sure those people know all about the real world...like being responsible, and learning you cant just do whatever you want in life without suffering the consequences of their choices. Of course they know all about that stuff right?

edit on 8-12-2010 by BigTimeCheater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
"Hippy" has been a derogatory usage for decades now. It reached it's pinnacle during the Vietnam war when everyone was looking for a reason to hate peacekeepers in the name of "Freedom".

I've noticed a resurgence of late. I attribute it to the usage by Cartman from South Park. He introduced the slur to a whole new generation of kids that have broadcast the phrase throughout the intrawebs in an attempt to seem cool and hip on their social networks.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyle43

Originally posted by casijones
Most of the hippies I know are a joke. I said this in another post.. Most 'hippies' my age, are all burnt out druggies. They wear the tyedye, they listen to the dead, they go to festivals... and that's about it. They don't stand for anything. They don't care about what's going on in the world. Pretty much, those kinds of "hippies" are giving the real ones a bad name.

I agree with this to an extent. I saw MANY burnt out druggies wearing tie dies at festivals that really are just in it for the drugs, money, and "scene", and a little bit of music. But I also met A LOT of people who were only about the peace, love, and happiness.

How exactly is becoming a hippy supposed to gain one money? Aren't they all a bunch of unemployed, shiftless losers who spend any cash they happen upon on mind-altering drugs?

Anyway.... I think most sensible people are in favor of peace, love and happiness. It takes irrational fools, however, to ignore the fact that those things are not free, they must be earned and that there are evil people and groups in the world who will do quite a bit to get in the way of other people's hope for peace. Are we supposed to stick daisies in Al Qaeda's rifles, for example? War is an unfortunate necessity in this world.

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

pardon the rant

Slang is a trip. Yeah, it started as one thing. something against the status quo-all about freedom- and evolved into the collective consciousness as something derogatory. "Give peace a chance" and "All you need is Love" are not bad mottos to live by. The collective never really changed, as "Live and Let Die" has always won out. I guess that is responsibility in action-- to take regardless of the consequences of others, to pay the bills in our carved out airspace, to drive a vehicle around and forget about community. Why, we have to bring our kids up just like us. Yeah. sustainable living is a fantasy. People can not thrive in communities, by doing what they want with their creativity. All musicians are irresponsible, because everyone knows they can not make any money, despite the fact that they may spend as much as 10,000 hours learning their craft. And no one wants to hear them anyway-if they are not young and pretty. We are a competitive species, drug around with hooks in our jaws and praising mammon at any cost-because we have to.

The hippie subculture was originally a youth movement that arose in the United States during the mid-1960s, swiftly spreading to other countries around the world. The etymology of the term 'hippie' is from hipster, and was initially used to describe beatniks who had moved into New York City's Greenwich Village and San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district.
Wikipedia

Hipster, as used in the 1940s, referred to aficionados of jazz, in particular Bebop, which became popular in the early 1940s. The hipster adopted the lifestyle of the jazz musician, including some or all of the following: dress, slang, use of cannabis and other drugs, relaxed attitude, sarcastic humor, self-imposed poverty, and relaxed sexual codes.
-Wikipedia

You could be wearing a $500 suit at the time and still be labeled a "dirty hippie" in the day, if your hair was long. You got to experience prejudice first hand, as people hated you based on the way you looked-and not for who you were on the inside. I remember when the buzzwords were,"Hey, the Beatles have turned into hippies!"

Funny, I would have thought that Ringo Starr would have been described as a Hippy. Actually, he was appalled by the filth and squalor at Haight Ashbury, filled with indigent youth and runaways. Frank Zappa, also hated hippies. yet he looked like one. so, go figure, i guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and; people are just going to see what they want to.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join