It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's up with Sirius?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain
reply to post by luxordelphi

I saw an object appearing to change colors, blue, yellow, red, and later it was pretty much confirmed to be Betelgeuse or some other celestial object like that but not a UFO. Because the object was stationary for so long it had to be some type of a star, and not a hovering object as I first suspected.

Right - this was never anything else than Sirius: it was the brilliance and strobe of colors that I couldn't understand not ever seeing before. Seemed to me like if this strobing had been going on all of my life I would have caught it a time or two before now.

Betelgeuese rose before Sirius and definitely puts on quite a show near to the horizon. Now that it is farther up in the sky it is muted. Effects at the horizon are supposedly more brilliant because of increased atmosphere and therefore increased possiblity of atmospheric disturbance.

When I saw Sirius last night I estimated that it was 20 degrees above the horizon and at 14 degrees or so this possibility of disturbance is lessened. I'm waiting now to verify that it will put on the same display with no question of being well above the horizon.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever
Many people have witnessed this exact thing and are talking about it. Take a look at the UFO in Kentucky post. Whatever it is it certainly is an odd phenomenon. It has been spotted in Kentucky, Tennessee, and by myself here in Ohio.

It's really not an 'odd phenomenon' at all.
Sirius always does this,
and has for as long as I can remember.
It's nothing new,
it's just new to those are beginning to 'look up' more.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

I would think that ash would occlude the view because it does that with our own sun. Some years ago I was in between two raging fires and the smoke and ash from those made the sun look pale orange.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
It's funny I found this post because a couple of days ago I was driving home from work around midnight and I saw a huge star flashing many different colors, d a m I thought ufo, twinkle twinkle little star maybe? It was odd because in my whole life of star gazing and I have never seen a star so amazing before. I almost drove off the road looking at it. It was almost like a 5-carat diamond flashing red, blue, white, yellow and repeat. This was in Georgia not Kentucky. Maybe it is going supernova or I just had food poisoning from that mushroom I ate at dinner j/k lol

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I believe if Sirius starts to "behave" strangely in terms of visual appearance, anything out of the ordinary that it should mean some kind of an omen for the future. At least that is what I believe was the perception of the ancient sky watchers about the Dog Star. Might have something to do with the magnetic field of the Earth or peculiar space weather phenomena that for current science are still hard to be identified. Maybe empirical knowledge after eons of observation etc.

Definately space weather affects our Earth environment too, but to our perceptions the signs might be so subtle and we should have only the direct visual appearance of another distant star/s visual behavior to maybe identify any activity. I believe that Sirius has to behave like that in cycles but maybe the span of the cycles is what makes the difference in interpreting the observation results. We have stopped taking notes on Sirius long long time ago...
edit on 12-11-2010 by spacebot because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by Deja`Vu
It's funny I found this post because a couple of days ago I was driving home from work around midnight and I saw a huge star flashing many different colors, d a m I thought ufo, twinkle twinkle little star maybe? It was odd because in my whole life of star gazing and I have never seen a star so amazing before. I almost drove off the road looking at it. It was almost like a 5-carat diamond flashing red, blue, white, yellow and repeat. This was in Georgia not Kentucky. Maybe it is going supernova or I just had food poisoning from that mushroom I ate at dinner j/k lol

Sirius I believe is the worst star to become supernova since it's actually 3 stars close to each other that affect each others behavior and maybe even a couple more that would be affected by their immediate neighbor team of stars. If Sirius goes nova then we would expect a chain reaction of stars going nova and that would be a spectacular event to watch. Also Sirius plays a role as more or less a local gravity reference point that we are too to be thrown of balance subtly if Sirius gravity pull has to stop having effect around its neighborhood... and of course we will have only the time period of a single generation to prepare for the changes.
edit on 12-11-2010 by spacebot because: (addition)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ellbell

From the northern hemisphere, Betelgeuse is on the top left of Orion and Sirius is down and to the left.

I noticed something strange the other night, I've temporarily moved into my spare room while my own is being sorted out and I have a nice dark(ish) view of the stars. Orion was out and I could see this flashing object, so I got out my video camera and filmed it.
I did think it might be Saturn at first due to how the image looked when I zoomed in, but after checking on google sky view I realise it was Sirius I was filming. Strangely it was the only star that showed on the video too!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by VenomVile.6
Dont for get Cali, too

Hey, wasnt that star the home system of the dongo people ( the fish men ) ???, forgive me if I spelt it wrong lol

their coming aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

edit on 11-11-2010 by VenomVile.6 because: adding to

You mean the Dogon people. No. The earth is their home. They remember others that came from that star however and this is what they are known for.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
ok so now im starting to think it is Betelgeuse ?? Should it be flashing like Sirius ?? Im in the southern hemisphere and it is to the left of Sirius and below Orion to the left a bit.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
ok so now im starting to think it is Betelgeuse ?? Should it be flashing like Sirius ?? Im in the southern hemisphere and it is to the left of Sirius and below Orion to the left a bit.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Hasnt it just turned into a pulsar ??

or is a pulsar ??

just a guess !

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ellbell

Isn't it Betelgeuse the star that doesn't exist anymore?
Scientists looking at its sudden growth in size have figured out it might have already been collapsed (in real time, not having to wait 50 or 60 years to get visual evidence because of the limit of the speed of light, for us to know what is the fate of this star)

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
oh wow i had no idea
?
well
i got no clue

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I saw it for the first time last night. (I'm in Texas) I sat and watched it forever. When I first saw it I didn't have my glasses on and it looked like a christmas tree blinking colored lights. It was crazy looking. When I put my glasses on it didn't seem as dramatic but still pretty different.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ellbell

It sounds like you are talking about Belelgeuse although when I turn my star chart upside down to try and see things as you do there, Betelgeuse is slightly East of the 3 stars in Orion's belt. It does flash, here anyway, very red near to the horizon and more muted as it rises.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Last night I was able to wait up for Sirius to get well above the horizon. When it was close to the horizon it was flashing etc. I live in a very light polluted area with heavy air traffic and at one point a plane in the distance was right next to Sirius and they were at that moment indistinguishable, both flashing and carrying on. As Sirius rose, I expected the strobing to tone down but the opposite happened - it became more intense. This may be because it rose out of the pollution near to the horizon and I didn't stay up for it to reach zenith which would be a good test.

I am very appreciative of the many witness accounts from those in this thread. I give those a lot of weight because even when the conclusions of what and why are in error, the account itself registers something amiss and it's just a matter of elimination to find out what that is.

Searching on scintillation and scintillation theory and scintillation astronomy provides so many possibilities that at the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed. A case could even be made for the approach of a large object because gravity can also cause and increase this effect. Extreme turbulence in the ionosphere can be caused by many things. Sirius is the brightest star so here the effect of this to our visual perception would be most pronounced. Anyway, if we assume that something has caused increased turbulence, then that would explain the increased visual effect and my original thought that aluminum particulants sprayed into the atmosphere were somehow distorting the light is inconclusive because other possibilities haven't been put to rest.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I have seen this for many years...it`t not new to me.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by simon2k7
I have seen this for many years...it`t not new to me.

Yesterday when I was searching on scintillating et al, a number of different sites and forums came up where people were talking about this same phenom. The earliest was, I believe 2005 although there may have been one in 1998 - can't remember and as I went back to review before posting a reply to you the most startling thing happened and curtailed my search. Anyway, to respond, yes...it's been going on for many years but, for me and a great number of others, there was a beginning to the way it looks now and there seems to be an increase in intensity.

What happened during my search was that I was putting in various search criteria and put in 'sirius pulsing' using the Yahoo search and this thread came up as the number 1 result. When I started the thread it was for information; what I saw was startling. There wasn't an agenda etc. and I wasn't trying to get a result on any search so I was just amazed.

Thanks for your input - without it I wouldn't have discovered this latest.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Sorry for the re-post but just thought you'd like to know, if you go to the Yahoo homepage and search on Yahoo for 'sirius pulsing' the #1 result on the #1 page will give this thread 'What's up with Sirius?' Your feed-back is welcome.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Just saw this for the first time tonight. I wasn't sure what it was so I jumped into my car and went after if. When I realized I wasn't getting any closer, I went back home. I showed my wife and she was like that's cool and went back into the house. I feel like a UFO nut now!

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The only thing as of now that I can add to this thread is just that the other night, it was pretty late...I had woke up in the middle of the night and felt rather thirsty. When I went out to the garage to grab a bottle of water, I looked up and it caught my eye instantly. I stood and stared for probably a good two minutes and returned inside. It was cold and I was in my briefs and a tank top. Not cool.

Anyways, I noticed a ton of flickering colors as well as some insane level of clarity as far as simply being able to see it. I'd never seen it that clearly. I guess I figured it was the atmosphere making it 'twinkle' like that. It was cool though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join