It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's up with Sirius?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I've read the many accounts on ATS about a flashing/pulsing red-green-blue star but last night I saw it for myself. In the U.S. southwest at 10:30pm local time (Pacific) I looked due East. It was about 20 degrees above the horizon and directly below and just slightly north of the 3 stars in Orion's belt. There is alot of light pollution here but that didn't affect this sight which looked like a strobe, it was that bright. The most brilliant part of the flashing was the cop car sapphire blue. Could aluminum particulants sprayed into the atmosphere create this effect? What would the light source be? I'm not talking about a twinkle - this is a strobe.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Many people have witnessed this exact thing and are talking about it. Take a look at the UFO in Kentucky post. Whatever it is it certainly is an odd phenomenon. It has been spotted in Kentucky, Tennessee, and by myself here in Ohio.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Amazing isn't it? I 'discovered' Sirius a few months ago when I went out to see how big Jupiter was near the Moon. At first I thought it was anything but a star. It was 'strobing' though all the colors in the same order, over and over again. Thought I was crazy, so I brought out some family to ask them what they saw. The color order was the same over and over, we were actually saying the colors as it was changing.

Do you have something to record it with? I am probably one of the few people that only has a phone that only acts as a phone. Would you post it?

Oh, I'm in western TN.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Dont for get Cali, too

Hey, wasnt that star the home system of the dongo people ( the fish men ) ???, forgive me if I spelt it wrong lol

their coming aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

edit on 11-11-2010 by VenomVile.6 because: adding to

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Sirius is always like that.
It's the showiest thing in the sky.
Other than the moon of course.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
just throwing this out there, but it could have something to do with the NASA announcement coming this Mon. Perhaps it is a star that has gone Supernova? Just my deflated 2 cents worth.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
See any fireballs lately? Annual Leonid Meter Shower peaks this year Nov. 10 to Nov. 21st.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

We have been watching this in our western sky for about 3 months. It is unbelievably brilliant and eye-catching. We have always assumed it is sirius, but are still stunned at the intensity of the display lately. The first time it caught our eye with it's display we were actually scared that something bad was about to happen to it, such a show it was putting on!

I would like to know why it is suddenly putting on such a fabulous display, too. My family are star watchers from way back, and what sirius is currently doing is just crazy. If there is a scientific explanation that makes sense, I'd like to hear it!

We have started just standing out at our fence and watching as it flashes and strobes for hours, until it descends below the horizon. The amount of color and flash it is displaying is fantastic!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yeah, I've been looking at it, too.
It's the most beautiful star of them all.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It's just turbulence in the atmosphere, the stronger, the more twinkling you get, pollution has nothing to do with it, what you see as a star is essentially just a point of light in the sky, its that small and far away. Google "scintillation" for all the answers you need

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I saw it as well I live in nw louisiana and thought it was odd. I knew it wasn't a ufo after it appeared every night now for about three weeks. I have been wondering what was making it changed colors like that.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Here, i've done the googling for you, its only a wikipedia page, but its the answer you are looking for:

Scintillation

EDIT: It says on the page planets don't "twinkle", that is wrong, during extremely high turbulence planets can appear to twinkle.
edit on 11/11/10 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   

a pic would have been nice
second line

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Jupiter has been just as bright as Sirius. I'm viewing it through the same atmosphere above me. It doesn't twinkle, even if low on the horizon.

If there was atmospheric disturbance to make Sirius twinkle, wouldn't the other stars viewed in that same area of the sky twinkle as well? But they are just as bright and don't twinkle. hmmm.....

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOnoworldorder

If our skies are clear enough tonite, I'm gonna step out and get some pics and a video, if my camera will do it justice! We have no chance of rain, so should be able to capture a pic or two.

The Kentucky lights thread has some pretty good, if shaky video of what I believe is Sirius. Here is a link:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

If the appearance is caused by an atmosphere anomaly like scintillation, wouldn't at least SOME other stars and maybe even planets be affected? Especially those close to Sirius or on the horizon where is effect is more pronounced.

I suspect that since Sirius is so bright, that could be a reason it is being singled out.

Any similar reports for other stars/planets - ever ?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by fah0436

If the appearance is caused by an atmosphere anomaly like scintillation, wouldn't at least SOME other stars and maybe even planets be affected? Especially those close to Sirius or on the horizon where is effect is more pronounced.

Apparently planets do not usually twinkle:

So why don't planets twinkle? It's because planets are bigger. Well, really, they're smaller than stars, but they are so much closer they appear bigger to us. They are much bigger in apparent size than the air bundles, so the smearing out of their light is much less relative to the size of the planet itself. Since the image doesn't jump around, they don't appear to twinkle.

There's always an exception though. In very turbulent air, even planets can appear to twinkle. The air is moving so rapidly and so randomly that even something as large as a planet can twinkle.

Source

I haven't noticed the light show, gonna have to check it out this evening!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand
just throwing this out there, but it could have something to do with the NASA announcement coming this Mon. Perhaps it is a star that has gone Supernova? Just my deflated 2 cents worth.

If it is a star going supernova it would be ‘Betelgeuse’. There are many articles out there for you to look at on google. I am not posting them here because astronomers dont have a clue when it will happen, could be today, could be 100k years from now.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by russ1969

Originally posted by CastleMadeOfSand

If it is a star going supernova it would be ‘Betelgeuse’. There are many articles out there for you to look at on google. I am not posting them here because astronomers dont have a clue when it will happen, could be today, could be 100k years from now.

I think Betelgeuse is the coolest looking star. It's a very dark Red/Orange.

I need to take a closer look at Sirius though. About a week ago, Uranus and Jupiter were directly next to eachother/one in front of the other.. and it was incredibly bright. Very cool.

Google Sky Map on your Android, get it!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

i sat outside 2 nights ago and stared at it for about a half hour. im in maryland.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join