It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's up with Sirius?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Searched out scintillation and after reading a number of sites have to say that I'm still mystified. This is a recent observational phenomena and though I don't doubt the explanation, I have to ask why now? In a number of sites global warming and/or an increase in photons is put forth as a possible cause for why now. Makes sense because the earth, overall, is warming. The photon angle - I don't know...we were supposed to be going through a photon belt of sorts but haven't found anything about that lately. Appreciate the clue.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Sirius, the brightest star in the sky usually puts on a show. The lower to the horizon the better because it is more subject to the atmospheric turbulence which causes scintillation (commonly called twinkling). Planets, though they can be brighter do not commonly exhibit scintillation because they are not a point source of light, unlike stars. Other bright stars are Arcturus, Canopus, and Vega. They twinkle a lot too.

It is not a new phenomenon. (Twinkle twinkle little star...)

edit on 11/11/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Very cool video - especially the 2nd one. Twinkling is not a new phenomena; strobing is. (At least I don't remember any childhood songs describing that.)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by luxordelphi

I do remember watching stars twinkle when I was young.
And it included color changes.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah - me too, but I never saw anything like what I saw last night - especially the sapphire blue - it was that pronounced and the color changes were like a pulse. Spent alot of time today looking into the scintillating thing along with the mirage thing and it still doesn't explain it BUT hopefully tonight I'll be able to stay awake a bit longer just to verify for myself that it wasn't the sudden colder weather here and that it wasn't that it was actually lower to the horizon than the 20 or so degrees I estimated. Others in this thread have reported seeing it this way overhead but for me, seeing for myself is always paramount.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Sirius the Dog Star. I'm an early riser. I've been watching Venus in the morning. When it first comes up it looks huge. It must be refraction of the earth's atmosphere that causes this. It's beautiful to behold nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Like I said in the other post, what I was seeing was definately not Sirius. It was much further to the left , and was changing colours a lot faster and brighter than Sirius. It was pretty cool

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ellbell

Didn't see your other post. Are you seeing this happen to an object adjacent to Sirius? In other words, are you seeing both at the same time?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   

A pretty good way to judge elevation is to hold your fist at arm's length, thumb up. From the bottom of your fist to the top is about 10º. Not exact by close enough.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Sorry, it wasnt this thread, it was another thread. I was seeing this at about 2am this morning 12th November in Nsw Australia.
This is a rough idea of where abouts I was seeing it.
** and yes I was seeing both at the same time. Sirius was flashing, but no where near as fast as whatever this was and not as colourful. I had a look at it with my binoculars and it had a slight tail to it? hmm who knows

edit on 11-11-2010 by ellbell because: Added a bit more info

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ellbell

Well there's your problem. Your sky is upside down!

(I don't know what you may have seen in that location.)

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ellbell

Thanks for that picture and that definitely wasn't Sirius in that area. I'll check it out tonight but don't recall ever seeing anything in that area.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
how the hell is that upside down?

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Yes, I have seen it too. Seems I started to notice it most in late evening close to bedtime when I went to take trash outside. San Diego, CA area. I thought my eyes were just tired the first time, then noticed it a second time and this time called a family member out to verify with me how bizarre it looks. I agree it looked like a strobe changing colors. I watch the sky all the time and always notice when something is amiss. Seems like I first started to notice it in late summer. At one point kind of wondered if the Nibiru predictions had anything to do with it.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Can anyone make a vid/take a picture of this tonight? I live around way too many trees to see squat. It would be great if you could pan out and show sirius and this thing in the same shot.

I dunno... according to some prophecies SOMEthing was supposed to appear in the sky between like 2005 and 2011. Interesting stuff regardless. Off to check the prophecy threads and see if they know anything about this!

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

A pretty good way to judge elevation is to hold your fist at arm's length, thumb up. From the bottom of your fist to the top is about 10º. Not exact by close enough.

Sirius is not up yet but tried your method (thanks for the tip) on the moon just setting and was able to verify that it is setting 10 degrees west of where it was last night.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ellbell

It was a joke (well, I thought it was).
In the northern hemisphere Betelgeuse is "above" Orion's belt.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
ohh
im sorry lol
i really should have got that
( lack of sleep )

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

I saw an object appearing to change colors, blue, yellow, red, and later it was pretty much confirmed to be Betelgeuse or some other celestial object like that but not a UFO. Because the object was stationary for so long it had to be some type of a star, and not a hovering object as I first suspected.

posted on Nov, 12 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I think the increased volcanic activity has spread many particulates in the upper atmosphere, which enhances the spectral view.

I also hope nasa has something BIG to announce on monday....i am hoping that it is nibiru...we shall see...glad i get the nasa channel!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join