It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 to 45 degrees it flips

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I don’t see how they conclude the magnetic poles will flip, just looking at history. Does this mean my compass will point to the South Pole instead of North Pole?

Looks like magnetic north has moved closer to true north in the past 50 years, and seems to generally be close to the North Pole since observation started.

What about mid way flip? Will magnetic north be at some point along the equator in the year 2525?
edit on 20-6-2023 by InachMarbank because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I have no idea how anybody has concluded the strength of earth’s magnetism has increased or decreased at all ever. Looks to me more like it goes up and down and side to side but stays pretty much the same in the grand scheme of things.

I came across a study that tried to measure earth’s dipole moment (DM) a field’s polarity or separation of positive and negative charges.

Apparently the research team studied the magnetism of samples collected from all over the world, which they could quantify an amount of change over the past 9000 years: the samples were of solidified volcanic samples, sediment drill cores, and burnt archaeological artifacts. Artifacts like clay pots that have been heated above 580 Celsius (1076 F) allow magnetic materials to reorient themselves to the Earth’s magnetic field at the time. All three types of evidence act as time capsules that capture a snapshot of Earth’s magnetism at a specific time and place.

Anyway the DM they measured is the same today as it was 9000 years ago. Sure it goes up and down, but no observable trend one way or the other.

Of course the research team generally agrees with the conspiracy theory that earths magnetism is getting weaker, and the magnetic polarity will flip in due time. But the data they summarize doesn’t seem to support their thesis.

As far as I can tell, the earth keeps spinning at the same speed…

www.universetoday.com... /

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

That precession /axis tilt is another subject in which people have made wild extrapolations from very minimal data.

Here’s the most specific data I found on axis tilt from time and date:

Earth's mean obliquity today is about 0.00001°, or 0.04", less than 30 days ago.

Then from this we jump to knowing exactly how earth is going to wobble and how far it will be from the sun , over the next 26000 to 100000 years.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

You still didn't answer my question. How much of his video's have you seen?

His understanding, though, is full of holes. Earth's core, for instance, is not pure iron. He doesn't understand ocean currents (the "carving" of the continental shelf") nor the uplifting and sinking of land masses and the fluctuation in the size of the oceans. (etcetera)

It's as though he never actually bothered to read up on the things he's talking about.

You know I was just thinking the same thing about you ;-p. I can't seem to ever have heard him say the earths core is made up of pure iron. He does understand the uplift and sinking of land masses. He talks about it in one of his videos, so I don't know where you are getting your information from on what you think he doesn't know.

I've written (and had published) both science fiction and fantasy stories. I know world building and am able to be comfortable with a flat world on the back of a cosmic turtle and "elephants all the way down." But I don't take that worldbuilding and toss out everything I know about geology and physics.

If you throw out local realism (your phrase; and an interesting one) and then kick to the curb anything you don't like in science, then ducks have hands and are as intellectually capable as humans and even speak and have pigs as their cadets and it only takes fifteen seconds to go from Earth to Mars.

You do realise that is exactly the same thing that you are doing right? You are throwing out the sciency thing you don't like (local realism proven to be false), and then digging your head in the sand and basing your reality on physics which only works if local realism is true, which it ain't.

It's like an argument about the Sun and whether or not it novas. Recurrent nova's are a thing.
People like to say "Our Sun doesn't have enough mass to nova". Physics based argument.
But then there's the scientific finding that local realism is false. Which means there's no bloody space. Everything is existing in the same place. A place without space. Space is not real. It's an illusion. Space is an emergent property. The only place space emergers from is our consciousness.

The physics based argument is rendered null and void. But here you will be, head in the sand, arguing over the "physics" and based on your text books, about whether the sun has enough mass to nova according to whoever and whomever.

The plates are in constant motion. (source)

See what I mean?

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: datguy
IM NO GEOLOGIST but I have heard of this causing massive quakes and tidal waves if it happens.

I can not agree that these are plausible concepts, but I am wondering of someone can enlighten me.

If the "magnetic" poles flip, I assume this is due a change in the rotation of the earths core, or some other core related event, since that is what creates our magnetosphere.
How does that cause the earth to suddenly stop spinning? which is I believe is where the theory of the tidal waves and earth quakes comes in. So the whole world, spinning at 1k mph, just suddenly puts the brakes on, no slowdown or reduction of speed, just "stop"?

But wouldn't north still be north? or are they theorizing a complete change in our axis/tilt related to the solar plane
I tend to be more concerned with the loss of atmosphere and increased solar radiation from a weakened magnetosphere

I just don't see how this theory pans out but again, I'm no geologist

Edit : how does this sit with people who believe in flat earth?

Like an electric motor if you spin it backwards, the polarity flips; positive becomes negative, negative becomes positive. If the earth spinning one direction produces magnetic poles; positive north, negative south; and then it starts spinning the opposite direction; the polarity will switch, south will become positive, north will become negative; hence flipping the poles. Compasses would point south for their north readings.

This has nothing to do with axis or tilt. Just the direction the planet is spinning. It's not going to start spinning the opposite way. Gravity pulls the planet in orbit around the sun counter-clockwise; it's not going to suddenly develop a top spin. The earth spins on it's own axis west to east, so counter clockwise also. It's not going to start spinning in an opposite direction. Anyone who thinks this can happen doesn't understand physics at all; if we spun backwards, we spin against the rotation around the sun. this would be like the thing floating in the toilet moving against the spiral when you flush; it's not possible. It's going to move in the direction of least resistence, and with the "current." If it started spinning the opposite way, it'd throw us out of orbit; which can't happen, because the forces are incalcuably strong.

I feel like this is an observation a child could make.

If we were drifting further away from the Sun, it would be possible to "stall" for a while, but it's still not going to spin opposite of the direction it's traveling around the sun. If you spin opposite of your rotation around the center of you orbit, you would fly out of orbit, the only way you have orbit, is if you spin the same direction.... So which ever direction you get pulled to orbit in, is the direction you spin. You can become tidally locked if the orbit is really circular and the force at the moment of capture was minor. I.E. Luna.

The moon is spinning, just slow enough that it's synced with the earth, so therefor, you can never see the otherside of the moon from the earth's surface. That's not to say it's not spinning, it is; but it's spinning at a speed that keeps it forward facing as it orbits the earth. If it didn't spin, you'd see the back every other complete rotation around the sun. If it spun backwards, it'd fly out of orbit; but before it did; you'd see the back side of the moon from the earth's surface,

The core of the earth can't change directions unless the innertial force changed; the innertial force can't change because of it's rotation being dictated by it's orbit. People who claim this "can" happen, or "has" happened, are making an egregious error, and shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion on the subject.
edit on 21-6-2023 by SRPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Nothing we can do to stop so why let it bother us. Could be tomorrow, could be in our children’s lifetime. Make good
With the idea that our current stability isn’t and never will be a permanent fixture.

Just StrangeApes dancing in the chaos

posted on Jun, 25 2023 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: SRPrime
...if we spun backwards, we spin against the rotation around the sun. this would be like the thing floating in the toilet moving against the spiral when you flush; it's not possible.

What do you mean with "it is not possible"? Venus and Uranus do exactly that.

posted on Jun, 26 2023 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Torlin

This is an interesting update showing that the main centers of Earth's various strengths of polarities are also the coldest regions on Earth, this cant really be a coincidence. So we seem to have a correlation between at least temperature and magnetism. It could be interesting as the one south of Australia might cool the southern states as it moves closer. Will this mean that parts of Antarctica will lose ice, there
seems to be a direct correlation.

posted on Jun, 27 2023 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity
This is an interesting update showing that the main centers of Earth's various strengths of polarities are also the coldest regions on Earth, this cant really be a coincidence.

It's not a coincidence, it's the result of the axis of rotation of the Earth being close to the plane of the Earth's orbit around the Sun.

posted on Jun, 28 2023 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I was looking at the Adapt channel, Australian ski season has opened six weeks earlier, it been freezing in New Caledonia and even Figi is chilly, I think Canberra was minus four. That would support the magnetic south pole moving closer to South Australia.Something is up and if it is a long-term trend we all had better start thinking food shortages.

posted on Jun, 29 2023 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Is the same happening in the North hemisphere, with a colder than usual end of Spring and beginning of Summer?

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Sorry missed your comment, I don't know I am in the southern hemisphere and things have been strange for months. Constant rain and heavy and quite a lot cooler than normal, However,
it looks like the north magnetic pole has stopped again.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Off center mass imbalances like the Antarctic ice cap - centered about 300 miles from the South Pole - put torque on the crust and push the ice cap towards the equator. So far, nothing happens because the friction of resistance isn't close to being overcome by the torque of the ice. However, a strong component of the resistance is due to the geomagnetic field. It makes reinforces the magma beneath the crust with a semi-crystalline lattice of magnetically aligned particles that increase viscosity, somewhat like strengthening concrete with fiberglass fiber reinforcement. When the magnetic field weakens enough and ion alignment within the magma disappears, it will be like in the movie Diehard when the FBI cut power and the magnetic lock protecting the vault from Hans Gruber suddenly ended. At that point, previously strong resistance to crustal motion over the layers beneath will disappear, and the torque from the ice cap not being centered at the pole will suddenly be enough to start a pole shift in motion. We are probably decades away from that point. Doug Vogt says 2046, Ben Davidson says more than a decade away, David Montaigne's book: POLE SHIFT: Evidence Will Not Be Silenced goes into details on evidence of past and coming events, Charles Hapgood's Earth's Shifting Crust is also good but he wavers on how fast it will happen, Chan Thomas says it's done in less than a week in his book The Adam and Eve Story.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kammlersgrdaughter77

The South Pole ice cap is over a continent, Antarctica.

The ice on the North Pole is floating on water and doesn't move south.

Also, anyone that knows the formulas can see that the Earth's magnetic field and speed of rotation are too low to create any significant mechanical effect.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Very interesting topic, and have enjoyed reading this thread. I’ll be honest gang, I don’t have anything scientific to add, but did hear that China is sending up a satellite to measure and track the weakening magnetic field.

Personally I would love to read thoughts about this.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Antarctica is the driest place on Earth, with the ice miles thick in some places, with virtually no snowfall or precipitation. We can assume that at one period in time, things were not always that way or there would be no snow or ice there. So if there was a mechanical effect it is now stable. But what caused the instability to lay the miles-deep areas of ice in the first place?

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 11:14 PM
link   

That was on the 17th. Where is it at now?

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I think he gets a position every month.

posted on Aug, 1 2023 @ 11:24 PM
link   
West Oz here, east of Perth. Winter has been no colder than usual though notuceably less rain.

I have a two thousand km each week inspection round in the wheatbelt. Mist of the places water collects over winter are dry.

Good soaking early rains this season, and then a drop off in rain. Just a few mils each time.

Crops look good.

posted on Aug, 2 2023 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

Antarctica is the driest place on Earth, with the ice miles thick in some places, with virtually no snowfall or precipitation. We can assume that at one period in time, things were not always that way or there would be no snow or ice there. So if there was a mechanical effect it is now stable. But what caused the instability to lay the miles-deep areas of ice in the first place?

Part of Antarctic (The Dry Valleys near McMurdo Sound) is the driest place on Earth. But most of Antarctic is not especially dry. Hence part of Antarctic (The Dry Valleys) has no snow cover - but most of it is buried in ice because it snows every year (and never gets warm enough for the snow to melt).

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join