It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being christian while rejecting important OT figures?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
Christians believe the OT books are true. You don't.

DEAD WRONG. As already shown on the first pages of this thread.

A reminder of the facts that, yet again, show that Skorpion is dead wrong
in his assumptions about Christianity - all about 'proper christians' -

It is NOT a requirement to literally believe in the Noahs Ark myth; the Adam and Eve creation myth; Jonah being swallowed by a whale and living for three days; the Exodus ... etc.
In America about 60% on Average believe in Noahs Ark and the other Old Testament fables ... which means %40 of Christians DO NOT and are still Christian.

80% of Catholics do not take the bible myths literally .. and they are still Christians

40% of Evangelical Christians do not believe in Adam and Eve and they are still Christians
That ticks off the evangelical scholars .. that these Christians understand the truth of Adam and Eve and yet they are still good Christians. But there it is. And many theologians at Christian universities have had to accept the truth that Adam and Eve didn't exist. And yet, those Christian theologians are still Christians.

Evangelical Christian Theologians Who Defend Evolution

Only 30% of Americans Take the Bible Literally

Also of note may be the clear majority of Catholics (65 percent) who believe the Bible is the inspired word of God but should not be taken literally word for word,

Gallup Polls on Christians
41% of Protestant Americans believe the bible is to be taken literally.
Less than one third of Catholics believe the bible is to be taken literally.

sk0rpi0n
Two faced liars are even worse.

Yes .. so you should stop telling so many lies.
No one buys your lies anyways, ya' know.

edit on 10/24/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

She's already provided you with stats showing that MOST CHRISTIANS do NOT believe the stories are true.

"Most christians" according to her special sources.
Stop wasting my time.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Thanks for the links.

Thanks for providing the stats that prove most Christians don't believe half the stuff mentioned in their own Bible.

Thanks.
edit on 24-10-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
"Most christians" according to her special sources.

The 'special sources' are CHRISTIANS THEMSELVES.

You tell people to stop wasting your time? How about you stop wasting our time?
EVERYTHING you post gets debunked. Everything. And your deflections are exposed.

You screamed at Sahabi for coming on here and disagreeing with 1400 years of 'Islamic Scholarship' and yet you come on here and claim to know Christianity better than 2000 years of 'Christian scholarship'. Hypocrisy.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
Thanks for the links.

If you'd read your own thread, you would have seen the information debunking you on the first two pages of this thread.

most Christians don't believe half the stuff mentioned in their own Bible.

Most Christians do not take the Old Testament stories to be literal because they ARE NOT LITERAL. They are myths and allegories and folklore. Even school children know better than to misread folklore as literal history.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

The idea of "original sin", as believed by the majority of Christians depends on Adams account in Genesis.
1 Corinthians 15
If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.
So it is written: “The first man Adam became a living being” ; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.
The spiritual did not come first, but the natural, and after that the spiritual.
The first man was of the dust of the earth; the second man is of heaven.
As was the earthly man, so are those who are of the earth; and as is the heavenly man, so also are those who are of heaven.
And just as we have borne the image of the earthly man, so shall we bear the image of the heavenly man.

(2011 NIV)
Paul's analogy does not depend on this story being true in order to work to make his point but is convenient to illustrate it to make it readily understandable with little verbiage.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

yet you come on here and claim to know Christianity better than 2000 years of 'Christian scholarship'. Hypocrisy.

You question the virgin birth. You have no business discussing "Christianity".
So stop defending Christianity and don't waste my time.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
You question the virgin birth.

That's the 4th time you've told that LIE.

I SAID - IF FACTS CAME UP THAT PROVE MY BELIEFS WRONG, THEN ID'D HAVE TO DISMISS THEM.

Indoctrination doesn't trump truth. Something you obviously don't agree with.

STOP DEFLECTING.

Admit you were wrong about the reasons there aren't atheists coming out in Islam.
I have proven you wrong with facts.
Admit you were wrong about the education vs religious beliefs.
Admit that you have lied over and over about my position on Christian beliefs.
Admit that you were wrong about Christians having to LITERALLY believe in the O.T.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
ATTENTION:

Mod Note: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

Please stick to the topic and refrain from degrading the discussion with personal barbs and accusations.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Thanks for providing the stats that prove most Christians don't believe half the stuff mentioned in their own Bible.

Good. So, you acknowledge that the thread has run its course, then?

Because the OP PREMISE has been proven UNTRUE.

You must have come from an evangelical/fundie Christian background. THEY ARE IN THE MINORITY.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Sorry, your opinions aren't exactly "facts". But thanks for trying anyway.

Most Christians believe in the OT whereas you don't...

conclusion : you aren't a Christian.

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
Sorry, your opinions aren't exactly "facts". But thanks for trying anyway.

Sorry, but I posted facts from credible sources. But thanks for trying to deny it anyways.

You just admitted that most Christians do NOT take the Old Testament myths and folklore literally.
So now you contradict yourself .... and go back to refusing to acknowledge the facts.

conclusion : you aren't a Christian.

conclusion: You have been proven dead wrong and you won't admit it
(and you are really obsessed with me .. I'm living rent free in your head)

posted on Oct, 24 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

NO, THEY DON'T.

Only fundamentalist/evangelical nutjobs think the OT is true. Wow, dude. You have a VERY narrow perspective, and an acutely judgmental one.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

wildtimes

NO, THEY DON'T.

Only fundamentalist/evangelical nutjobs think the OT is true. Wow, dude. You have a VERY narrow perspective, and an acutely judgmental one.

Most christians I know believe in the O.T as 100 percent fact written basically by the pen of God and handed down to man..But perhaps I am around a fringe element of fundamentalist.

I do believe that most reasonable christians do not believe this the case although.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
.... Two months later and still waiting for the OP to admit he was dead wrong. Wonder if he'll man up and admit it? This thread is a perfect example of why Muslims shoudln't be telling Christians what Christians are supposed to believe. Bottom line .... no a Christian doesn't have to believe that the Old Testament is literal in order to be a Christian.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

... Two months later and still waiting for the OP to admit he was dead wrong.

OP knows he isn't wrong and so doesn't need to admit anything.
Especially to a pseudo-Christian like Flyersfan who openly insults Old Testament figures on internet forums.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

no a Christian doesn't have to believe that the Old Testament is literal in order to be a Christian.

So those prophecies in the OT about Jesus aren't literal? It was all a myth like Noah and Adam/Eve?
Okay, so why even bother believing in Jesus?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
OP knows he isn't wrong and so doesn't need to admit anything.

So in other words ... No, the OP won't man up and admit he's obviously been proven wrong.
Okay .. got it. It's a waste of time to have discussions with him. Good to know.

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

So in other words ... No, the OP won't man up and admit he's obviously been proven wrong.

I can't be proven "wrong" if you keep repeating what I already know... that you reject and insult certain important OT figures.

I might be proven wrong... when and IF you finally post a link to a mainstream Christian church/denomination that actually shares your views.

edit on 8-12-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I think flyersfan has a point; there was an early Christian bloke who didn’t want the Old Testament to be included with the jesus story

Marcion of Sinope:
en.wikipedia.org...

was a bishop in early Christianity.[2] His theology, which rejected the deity described in the Jewish Scriptures as inferior or subjugated to the God proclaimed in the Christian gospel, was denounced by the Church Fathers and he chose to separate himself from the Catholic and Orthodox Church. He is often considered to have held a pivotal role in the development of the New Testament canon.

And on a personal note most of the Christians I know over here in Europe just go along with the jesus story and don’t really bother with the old testament stuff, they seem to “use” the jesus-y bits of the bible in the same way Buddhists do with the teachings of Buddha

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join