It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Converted to Islam, girl shows how she looks in a head covering.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by logical7

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

Instead, let me ask you... when a woman go out in public in revealing clothes does it mean she WANTS to be seen as a sex objects?

Is yes the wrong answer? I'm thinking yes, or at least she wants to be seen as attractive.

try to say that to any woman who is dressed that way and you'l be made to feel like you are a savage.
Its an expression of their freedom you see!! You are a savage to look at them as sex objects, grow up its the 21st century!!

edit on 3-4-2013 by logical7 because: (no reason given)

I don't know if you're married, but my ex said it was always nice for strangers to tell her how good she looks. And, strangers only mean one thing when they say that - that they would do her if they had the chance. And she knew what they meant.
edit on 4/4/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
Most people here don't seem to realize that women can ALSO be religious and spiritual.... and therefore, be tuned into the spiritual aspect of a religion.... in this case, Islam. Which is why they convert.

But interestingly in this thread... the same people who accuse Islam of having a low view of women.... stop short of acknowledging women, like men, can also take up a religion because they see spiritual value in it.... regardless of whether or not they believe.

It is they who truly treat women as less than animals.
They see women, even of their own race as animals that are incapable of spirituality.

I don't know, Skor. I've seen lots of women on the news that are attracted to men in prison - even on death row. There are some pretty twisted ladies out there. So, I don't think it's much of a leap to assume the women that convert to Islam are doing it for spiritual reasons. Don't get me wrong - I really don't know about this stuff. In my lack of understanding of Islam, I'm guessing that these female converts see and hear what I see and hear about this religion. If this is what attracts them to Islam they might have been abused as children and align themselves with their dominating abuser.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I don't know if you're married, but my ex said it was always nice for strangers to tell her how good she looks. And, strangers only mean one thing when they say that - that they would do her if they had the chance.

i am not yet married but yes all guys know that

I find it insulting that they mean that to any girl but if its about girls i am related to by blood or wife then they are asking for trouble.

It doesn't happen in muslim countries to that extent.

Women deserve more respect than a desire to 'do' any good looking woman that men meet and worst when women take that as a compliment!!! and then want to be taken seriously as individuals and not objects!

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm guessing that these female converts see and hear what I see and hear about this religion.

what you see and hear is as true as the statement "All atheists are evil"

The female converts went beyond the smoke screen, got a Qur'an did their research and liked it so much that they accepted Islam.
Islam is a common sense religion.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
babloyi

I'm a bit short on time right now, really sorry, but it was all over the news after some report back in 2005, if you google "europe converts islam women", you'll get loads of news articles of back then. And it isn't just converting for marrying muslim men (that isn't the major percentage)!

No problem. This is what I found, following your directions:

www.csmonitor.com...

The Christian Science Monitor, despite what the name suggests (and yes, it is a church-owned publication) is well-regarded, often reliable as journalism goes, and enjoys a good track record when reporting about other religions. So, assuming that I've found a right source, I read

Admittedly patchy research suggests that more women than men convert, experts say, but that - contrary to popular perception - only a minority do so in order to marry Muslim men.

That's not much of a basis for saying as a fact that more Western women than men convert. As to the reasons for conversion, the reporting seems anecdotal more than systematic. Even then, the reasons presented seem diverse and even in some cases, vague.

Since you mentioned the marriage aspect, I noticed that the article's follow-up to its remark in the quote box emphasized that Islam doesn't require a woman to convert to marry a Muslim. That's fine, but Roman Catholicism (to name one big religion in Europe) places strong restrictions on Catholics marrying people of any other faith. It isn't always possible for a Catholic to marry outside the faith and remain a practicing Catholic. So, it's not clear that marriage isn't a motive just because the destination religion didn't require the conversion.

And speaking of which, Roman Catholicism isn't always such a nice place for some women compared with Western secular norms, either. It is entirely possible, then, for a Catholic woman (not every Catholic woman, and not necessarily a typical Catholic woman) to improve her situation as a woman by adopting Islam, without her situation becoming a good one as others might appraise it. Since voluntary religious conversion isn't a typical behavior in the first place, regardless of the destination religion, this sort of thing needs to be taken into account when thinking about what this behavior means, if it means anything at all except for the people doing it.

If you think of something else, then I'm still open to investigate further, even if the general treatment of women in Islam wasn't an issue that I raised here.
-
edit on 5-4-2013 by eight bits because: copypasta was not al dente; so I cooked it some more

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to [url= by Prezbo369[/url]

Originally posted by Prezbo369
Forcing/encouraging woman to dress like like this is incredibly backwards,

The woman in the OP (and most of the women who wear head coverings) do so by choice.

Yeah the choice between not covering up and being shammed/shunned and worse.

Like the choice another group of certain superstitionists give us.... 'god didn't want to send you to hell, you made that choice'...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join