It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is there a severe obesity epidemic?!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by fireysnowman29

So what gives? I would love to hear some intelligent insight on this subject matter!

Too much sugar and too little exercise.
edit on 20/2/2013 by cripmeister because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
Well you asked and this video in Satire is you will all see but I see some truth behind the reasoning...

Interesting thread.

Link below
www.liveleak.com...

S&F
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 20-2-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

so much Win in this video, reminds me of the overweight scooter people in all of the mega-stores

Anyhow, do people generally not care about their health or looks?

When someone needs a doublewide mirror in order to see their entire body, some sort of a red flag must come up saying "hey there self....dont you think its time to cut some inches?"

I totally agree with the mouthertainment and addiction to the pleasure of food, which i can vouch for ....is all to real

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by fireysnowman29

It is a combination of multiple factors. Laziness is definitely one factor, gmo food, hf corn syrup, poor education, advertising. Also there is a strong correlation to the # of the cases of diabetes which is now attributed to being a fattie but actually is related to the fallout from the nevada, new mexico atomic bomb test fallout. Bottomline, there isn't just one thing or it would be an easy fix.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by fireysnowman29

Ok to clarify my point here is a site that if you poke around you will find tons and tons of current pictures of Russians doing their everyday thing.......englishrussia.com...

Now check out the body fat and more importantly look how freeeking fit they are.

Now I will leave it up to you to find pictures of groups of people here in North America that depict the same fitness level as you see in the above link.....
Also here is a good visual aid in seeing what exactly 200 calories is all about...www.dailymail.co.uk...

It is a no brainer, the answer is diet and exercise for 90% of the people.

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 20-2-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
There has been a major disconnect between the work we do and the calories that we consume.

Couple that with a prosperity level that is second to none. Food is cheap even for people on welfare.

On top of that, now as a society we are afraid to let our kids play outside unsupervised and at the same time physical education (the dreaded PE) has been gutted.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by th3dudeabides

Actually there is one thing that CAN be done, which could make a greater impact than other singular ideas - farm subsidies. Currently there is an incestuous relationship between Big Business and Big Government (as if I need to tell anyone here, hah). Corn and soy producers receive maaaaassive subsidies. And THAT is why all the crap with "high-fructose corn syrup", or "partially hydrogenated soybean oil", etc. is so CHEAP! It's a multi-level danger, since these are genetically modified on top of everything else.

If we could lobby to clean up our government-issued subsidies - like, change it so that all produce receives a boost, then countless areas of society would be positively affected. I think that is one of the deepest systemic problems regarding obesity today. To solve any problem you have to find the root.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Son of Will because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
There has been a major disconnect between the work we do and the calories that we consume.

Couple that with a prosperity level that is second to none. Food is cheap even for people on welfare.

On top of that, now as a society we are afraid to let our kids play outside unsupervised and at the same time physical education (the dreaded PE) has been gutted.

Bang on the money......Star and appreciation
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom
reply to post by Unity_99

You're all sick, or freaks of nature.

Don't you also have thyroid issues?

You can't use extreme examples to try and disprove a general rule.

It's nonsensical.
edit on 20-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

I do. Mom doesn't. She eats different than me, many small meals, more like snacks, and very healthy. She like dates, and bananas, and yogurt. When we have a nice meal, which is more like once or twice a week, such as burritos, or stir fry, or soup, she eats a portion on a saucer basically.

But I have a huge family, many relatives on various sides, enough to fill a small town. And the ones who eat the most, are high metabolism often very thin.

Activity makes a difference in weight though. How much activity you can do. Having a health problem that keeps your activity levels lower, means you are stuck with even lower levels of food.

Its actually quite common.

Also there is another thread I found interesting. Why the GMO and unhealthy food? Why so many poisons, and why so many having age related health problems before their time?

www.abovetopsecret.com...
The sad truth about the future. Please Read

Seems to be a part of their Logan Run planet, they have planned.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by nomnom
reply to post by Unity_99

Activity makes a difference in weight though. How much activity you can do. Having a health problem that keeps your activity levels lower, means you are stuck with even lower levels of food.

Its actually quite common.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

having health problems that can limit your physical activity? those are few and far between. laziness leading to that however, is much more common.
edit on 20-2-2013 by fireysnowman29 because: derps

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
well at age 47, a vegetarian for 22 years and never having owned a car, i am never more than 10 and a half stone (in old money). but i look around and see that where once to be overweight was the exception to the rule, now the balance has shifted significantly. epidemic? it might be. modern life makes obesity easy.
edit on 20/2/13 by RoScoLaz because: (no reason given)

edit on 20/2/13 by RoScoLaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
High Fructose Corn Syrup, Aspartame, White Flour/Sugar carbs. That's some of the problem.

I look at my family members photos before everything was made with HFCS or aspartame, and they were skinny. Their legs were skinny. HFCS and Aspartame will make your body bloat and swell. I know, I had this trouble. When I got rid of these things, I got as thin as my elderly relatives were at one time.

For the person who said they've never seen an obese Native American, thank you, I had a good laugh. There are a crap ton of fat Native Americans now, with serious, and I mean SERIOUS health issues on Pine Ridge and Rosebud reservations. Did you know that people do not have a long life span there because of the total crap they eat? Grease laden, cheap commodities and fried crap to make ends meet. That's what we call poor people food. Gettin by, food. No such thing as being able to afford organic or fruit as often.

The big problem for us Natives is diabetes, high cholesterol and heart disease. You would not believe the amount of people never making it to age 60. They all die .... on HFCS, Aspartame, White flour/Sugar crap. I've lost many friends and relatives this way. It's so bad I have seen 12 and 13 year old children having gallbladders removed from gallstone formation.

Yes, it's a big epidemic for the Natives. We die because we cannot afford fancy health care and meds to keep us pumping and alive like other people who just eat what they want and pop their pills.

I eat healthy however, and so does my daughter. We are lucky to be able to afford good and healthy foods.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
It's all of that crap that they put in the food nowadays. It's filled with words you can barely pronounce and I'm convinced that it has addictive chemicals in it.

About 2 years ago I decided to make a life altering change for the better because I was some what out of shape and I felt run down 24/7. I changed my diet and began drinking green smoothies every single day for breakfast. I cut out all of the premade supermarket junk and stuck to fruits, veggies, nuts etc. I also still ate chicken breasts because I couldn't change everything so easily. I still needed my meat but at least chickens lean!!

No joke, I dropped about 25 lbs of body fat in a month and my energy skyrocketed. I started excercising a few days a week and I literally felt and looked 10 years younger. I got ripped!!!

A few months ago I caved in for about a week or 2 because I got lazy and bought some of that Tyson breaded chicken nuggets and some other pre-made microwaveable type meals. Before I knew it, I was craving that garbage again like a junkie. My weight went up and my energy dropped, I felt horrible but I couldn't stop purchasing that stuff even though I knew it was bad for me. I felt like a damn heroin addict!!!

Eventually I got back on track but it was really tough. I'm dead serious when I say that these food companies put addictive stuff in their products just to keep you buying over and over again.

Anyway, I highly recommend going the Green Smoothie route if you want to change your health. I've always hated vegetables but you can't even taste them because they are masked with the fruit that is added. I bought this $400 super blender that pulverizes anything I put in it and it was the best money I ever spent. If any of you fine people ever want any tips or have questions, feel free to message me. I'm always happy and willing to pass on life changing information. Youtube it if you're curious. There's tons of great info out there.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
i'm not buying the brainwashing crap either. Its personal responsibility at the end of the day. The same people that struggle for meals are the same people who are buying sugary drinks like sodas and "fruit juices" last time i checked bottled water and water machines were still at an affordable price. people get fat because they are lazy. So if you're fat you have nobody to blame but yourself. Genetics is not an excuse. YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT

And the parents that have fat kids guess what i bet your kids are stuck on video games and tv. And dont even try to play outside.

edit on 21-2-2013 by solizer because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Its the diet, fatty foods are cheap. It's all people can afford.

Really? My wife and I live off $36k/yr (both in school) and we have the money to purchase non-fatty foods as our mainstay. We buy Organic Beef, Chicken, Fish and all that fun stuff. It's the only way we can stay trim. Well, that and going to the gym.

People really need to do some number crunching. Once you do that you'll see that the McDonald's $ Menu is NOT cheaper than grocery shopping. It may seem that way, but add up what you spend monthly on food and you'll find Grocery Shopping is either the same or cheaper cost-wise. IF it were more for us I'd still do it. Every time I eat fast-food I feel like complete garbage. Reminds me of why I quit eating out.

I swear I've heard this motto before... Subconscious programming must have gotten to ya.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Years ago I worked graveyard shift with several people. Most of us came from dayshift, so this was a new and drastic change. After about a month everyone realized we were gaining weight but unsure why. Finally a few of us talked and figured out we were eating all the time and were also tired all the time. We were also not considering calories/sugar in drinks. We'd think that we hadn't eaten much but blanked out on the considerable numbers for coffee drinks and soda. Shocking. Even when busy we seemed to eat all the time. Still struggle over a decade later, but handling it better. Nightshift is killing me, I think.

I started thinking I'd cut sugar. Started reading labels and was suprised to see sugar in almost everything, even stuff that wasn't "sweet". Cut out soda and felt so bad at work by the next night I gave in and drank one. Now at 1 per night, but there's got to be a way to get past it. Gonna try during vacation so I can ride out the bad feeling without affecting work.

Laziness to an extent, though I don't see it with such a judgemental attitude and don't know that I'd use the word "lazy" really. Unmotivated. Not believing it can work or anything can change. Defeatist thinking, money issues and people are tired. Fat people don't enjoy being fat. But many just don't believe there's any use in trying to change it.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Well, I could only read two pages of this crap.

The Op made the point that people are lazy, and no one even tried to refute his/her claim.

Instead everyone went on the talk about every other reason other that laziness.

Fast food is fast and cheap = lazy
TV is good and cooking is expensive = lazy
macro/micro nutrients missing from processed foods = lazy
big goverment made a bad food pyramid = lazy

blah blah blah. In this day in age, does anyone really not know a Snickers bar is not dinner?

Step 1 - Eat less, eat better and get some exercise!!
Step 2 - Stop laying blame for being fat on anyone or anything except yourself.
Step 3 - Remember you only have one life to live and it doesn't last forever.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Lol all you "fatty foods are cheaper" people crack me up. If that were true, the poorest countries would have the highest obesity rates, and the richest countries would have the lowest. But in fact we see the opposite.

To anyone who claims they eat fewer calories than they burn and still cannot lose weight, I'd like to see your free-energy-producing over-unity machine on the market next month. I also look forward to seeing your Nobel Prize for violating the Law of Conservation of Energy.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I am a mortician who specializes in morbid obesity embalming. I also stopped whinging about the situation some time ago, and found a way to help obese people exercise. But that is another story.

These are the simple reasons we are getting really fat.

(1) Food is just too cheap. Eating anything in moderation will not make you fat. There is no "evil" food. eg... sugar, carbs , preservatives etc... The reason people come up with a "this is the enemy" argument is to redirect the responsibility away from themselves.

(2) Exercise myths being sold to the public. ... The fact is cardio is crap at burning fat. Your abs cant burn fat. etc....

(3) Our baby boomer parents were lazy and fat. Our grandparents were fitter. We have poor role models.

Our parents found it easier to sit us in front of the TV, instead of dump us at the park.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
I am a mortician who specializes in morbid obesity embalming. I also stopped whinging about the situation some time ago, and found a way to help obese people exercise. But that is another story.

These are the simple reasons we are getting really fat.

(1) Food is just too cheap. Eating anything in moderation will not make you fat. There is no "evil" food. eg... sugar, carbs , preservatives etc... The reason people come up with a "this is the enemy" argument is to redirect the responsibility away from themselves.

(2) Exercise myths being sold to the public. ... The fact is cardio is crap at burning fat. Your abs cant burn fat. etc....

(3) Our baby boomer parents were lazy and fat. Our grandparents were fitter. We have poor role models.

Our parents found it easier to sit us in front of the TV, instead of dump us at the park.

I totally agree about baby boomers...I know I've heard this in other places before and it struck me as true...never watch the tv. It was more about the propaganda it spits out, but it pretty much immobilised us as children. I will have to find a link to an article I read recently about comparisons in womens body shapes between war time adults and our present condition, in particular the development of our "wheat bellies". It showed that women who were adults during the war still had their narrow waists and relatively flat bellies even in their 70's, and we had all developed thicker waists and prominent rounded bellies. My belief is that it's strongly related to our consumption of refined wheat products, particularly bread and pasta, as opposed to the "Victory Garden" diet of home grown veggies, and very little dairy or meat.

I'm not sure I can agree about what you say about no food being evil however. I know from personal experience, and watching how other members of my family react to certain food, that some foods are literary toxic to us. Maybe once in a blue moon, although I can't think of a reason...ok, maybe a birthday cake,
...but I know I would still suffer some kind of reaction.

Would also love to hear more about the exercise thing you were talking about. I'm not much into intense exercise, finding it too stressful and time consuming, but prefer to keep moving, walking the dog, on my feet most of the day, up and down stairs constantly. Your job sounds fascinating, by the way. Sorry if that seems gruesome of me to think that.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
"How is there a severe obesity epidemic"

well in order for there one to a severe obesity epidemic one would have to set standards and follow those standards.
i for one think the standards are too high (unless becoming complete opposite over night and becomming a health freak)
at least where i live east coast usa, i dont think we have an epidemic and we know how to eat ^^

"So there seems to be a problem with Americans in the world today. Almost 70% are either overweight or obese. "

if it truly was an epidemic every other person on the street should look to be about 350-500+ lbs. i dont see that anywhere near me or any of the states i have visted in connecting states. oh sure i have seen some whales, even some whale kids sitting right next to said whale parents, its out there, 70% is COMPLETE BS lol (and no i dont care what medical report you read, i can see with my own damn eyes lol)

in fact if there really was that many fat people, things would start to get super sized, wed see bigger cars doors, bigger eating tables at dinner, every single meal would be a super size you would see alot more big and tall type stores, CULTURE WOULD CHANGE DRASTICALLY if there truly was that many people that were obese

not to mention we already know a ton of people still dont have healthcare which means they arent getting check ups so how would they even get a real number if we know hundreds of thousands to maybe millions arent getting checked up(and having weight recorded or body mass index), those could be all the skinny people which would lower the score by a whole bunch lol,

but regardless of what hogwash you were reading, its easy to see how people become obese, everything is filled with chemicals, half the food that is suppose to make you lose weight actually blocks fat from burning so you gain more lol, the materials used in food have other chemicals on / in them and most of the meat you buy has some kind of hormone or chemical preservative. so if the fat dont get yah the cancer will.

honestly i dont see why people even concern themselves with other peoples lives whether its ciggarettes, food, drinking ect ect. we only have about 100 years on this planet, has it not occured to anyone else that maybe people dont want to see 100 years birthday?

i sure as %$^& dont. not 90 not 80 not even 70-75 , im no jack lelane and could care less to be one, im also not a 500 lbs whale either but hey thats just me, i like to be able to fit on my bike, be able to pedal and not fall off ^^

"people are not close to a reasonable weight"

what give you the right to judge that, when you look like you have been beat with a telephone pole as a kid? maybe people arent wearing as much makeup as they should huh?

see how stupid that argument is. you can't base someones obesity or looks compared to what, your own? im 5'6 almost everyone i know is taller than me, that would make them obese to me but are they really? of course not.

i guess long story short is

DONT GO BY THOSE CHARTS LOL THEY ARE COMPLETE AND UTTER GARBAGE

like every 10-15 years they change the rules to fit the game , relax i know plenty of 200 plus people and they can lift cars lol. BIG PEOPLE ARE GREAT lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join