It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupiers Celebrate 4th of July by…Burning American Flags and Vandalizing Police Property

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Ooooo, the partisan politics again.
A few points, in a roundabout way. What is the purpose of the 2nd Amendment? To protect oneself against an aggressive, corrupt government. The 1st guarantees freedom of speech, which is what they are doing here. The Founding Fathers had the foresight to see that there would be times that the people would have to defend itself from the government and gave the people the tools. They are using them. You can't pick and choose what you want from the Constitution. Lastly, this "Their side is wrong, our side is right" is what is wrong with America. Keep it up. The PTB are laughing all the way to the bank.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
ETA So you not only want us to police our own actions and arrest vandals, but you want us to go out to any and all protests and police those too?

Somehow I get the feeling that the first part of your question annoys you. Does it? Would policing the group's activates be too much to ask for?

If they cant do that then what makes people who support them think they can handle something as infinitely more complex as the lives of over 300+ Million Americans? Not to mention the Global economy of 7.8 Billion people?
edit on 6-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes it does annoy me... a lot to be honest. We do our thing, we meet, talk and decide how we're going to hold an action. We stick to those decisions and those decisions NEVER include violence or destruction. If other people show up and do their thing how is it even remotely our place to try to stop them? All we can do is say we're not about destruction. Police are anywhere we go, or are we to understand that they can't handle it? The police let it happen and you know damn well why.

If they cant do that then what makes people who support them think they can handle something as infinitely more complex as the lives of over 300+ Million Americans? Not to mention the Global economy of 7.8 Billion people?

I don't recall any of our goals being taking over the world.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I'll ask this. What are the real OWS supporters doing to prevent these types of activities carried out in their name?

Would they come unglued if the Police were to step in and kick some butt to maintain order and would they then jump off their mythical fence on the side of the protesters that don't represent them as being victims of Police brutality?

Excellent questions actually .

Bottom line is this. OWS hasn't taken the steps to aggressively distant themselves from these anarchists. They are not "jumping" into the mix, and telling these anarchists to stop. I say if they are truly willing to distant themselves from these people, who only want complete mayhem, and do not want change, then take care of the problem. Figure a way to do it , Or watch the Police do it. But don't complain.MHO

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Kicking butt isn't needed, arrests are. Vandalism is a crime. At almost every Occupy protest where some people have decided to go against GA and commit vandalism, the vandals are pointed out to cops who do nothing. What more are we supposed to do? Livestreamers have even been threatened for filming them being destructive. What more can we do to denounce people who choose destruction than to say that isn't us, we don't condone this? This wasn't even an Occupy protest to begin with...
edit on 6-7-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
What more can we do to denounce people who choose destruction than to say that isn't us, we don't condone this?

Citizens arrest. ,Heck Im a hands on guy, myself.

There are ways to take care of problems. I am sure the many "intellectuals" in the OWS movement, can figure something out. OWS wont get any help from the police, because they didn't stop this early enough. They allowed EVERYONE in their little camps. They allowed "stuff" to happen, that made the majority of the US, think the whole OWS movement was just filled with these "types". You have a hard battle ahead, I'm afraid.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Okay next time I see someone committing vandalism at a protest (I've never seen it here in Boston) I'll be sure to risk my safety and perform a citizens arrest. Criminal elements were pointed out to police at camps from the beginning. As to why nothing was done, you'd have to ask the particular officers.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

The 1st guarantees freedom of speech, which is what they are doing here.

Is starting fires and assaulting police officers protected by the 1st? How about defecating on police cars and smashing windows? Maybe spray painting anarchy signs on public and private property?

Lastly, this "Their side is wrong, our side is right" is what is wrong with America. Keep it up. The PTB are laughing all the way to the bank.

This “There is no right or wrong” fantasy that so many subscribe to is ridiculous IMO. There is a right way to exercise your 1st amendment rights; burning trash cans and assaulting police isn’t it!

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

One more thing.

I have never seen a hundred peaceful protesters, surround these people. EVER. Keep them cordoned off. They are not hard to find. What are these anarchist going to do if they are surrounded ? Lash out ? You have a right to protect yourselves. I would think these protests for some,mean EVERYTHING. OWS needs to take control of their own surroundings. Do you want the Police sending a message to the Anarchists? Whats the Police's message to them ? The very thing you want to avoid. Just my 2 cents.....

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

To start with, how do YOU define freedom of speech? In this day and age? Tea cozies? Round table discussions? Are you willing to disallow those protesters from their rights? This isn't new. Flag burning has been a mainstay for protest for over 40 years. They aren't dissing the country, they are dissing the government. I find it interesting that you don't like the Dem gov. and still diss those from the "other side" that are being active in dissing the same gov. Think about that. You actually have more in common with them than you think. But it's the other side.
Not cogent thinking. More like "led" thinking. "Led by who?"

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

To start with, how do YOU define freedom of speech? In this day and age? Tea cozies? Round table discussions?

I don't define it. The constitution and SCOTUS do that. 

Are you willing to disallow those protesters from their rights? This isn't new. Flag burning has been a mainstay for protest for over 40 years.

No. They have a right to burn the flag...not cars and property. I have a right to express my disgust with it.

They aren't dissing the country, they are dissing the government. I find it interesting that you don't like the Dem gov. and still diss those from the "other side" that are being active in dissing the same gov.

Their reason and right to protest isn't in dispute; their methods are. 

Think about that. You actually have more in common with them than you think. But it's the other side.  Not cogent thinking. More like "led" thinking. "Led by who?"

Nice try but NO. I work for a living and I love my country. I'm not inclined to start fires and destruct property just because I don't like something. These people are acting like spoiled children and that's because most are. If you want to associate with that garbage enjoy but don't lump me in with them.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Dont thank me pal i got my paycheck, so did the rest of the ppl in uniformed service many that are not veterans that bathe in the attention though they do not deserve it. Would you thank the guy who restocks the shelves at the store? The MSM has a habit of making heroes out of nothing.

My definition of a Veteran is someone who saw action or was deployed to support said action, not a recruiter or cook that just happened to be in the service while that action was going on.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
seabag

the actons of a few fools does not condemn the whole group

just name a group you belong to and we will flame away

not all of "the left" thinks the same way

not all of of the "occupiers" think the same way

it is lazy and ignorant to piant large groups of people with the same brush

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Think about that. You actually have more in common with them than you think. But it's the other side.  Not cogent thinking. More like "led" thinking. "Led by who?"

Nice try but NO. I work for a living and I love my country. I'm not inclined to start fires and destruct property just because I don't like something. These people are acting like spoiled children and that's because most are. If you want to associate with that garbage enjoy but don't lump me in with them.

So you are saying that protesters from the left that are protesting Obama don't love their country? Don't have jobs? Shouldn't exercise their rights? There is NO logic there my friend. Only blind, manipulated thinking. That's either ignorance or willful manipulation.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I work for a living and I love my country as well. If I didn't love my country so fiercely I wouldn't bother with things like Occupy. I wouldn't devote an ounce of energy to posting, protesting or discussing what's wrong and how to fix it. I want my son to grow up loving America just like I did, not being afraid or resentful of it.

You have the right to disagree with me and with Occupy, I can respect that. But you don't need to disagree by propagating lies and mis/disinformation, you are choosing to disagree with us that way and I can't respect that.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

But thats the main issue here. If no one comes out of the Official OWS group to say "we do not condone the behavior of occupy ( insert random noun here )." then all the general public (and myself) can do is paint using that large brush.

It really is quite simple.. call up one of the networks for an interview, and state that the occupiers on wall street do not support the burning of the flag, or all the others things and keep it at that. it might actually give some cred to OWS. but I guess since no ones done that they would rather have the bad publicity.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I find burning the U.S. flag disgusting and morally repugnant. I'm a big fan of free speech, and while I will not stop oppose anybody from burning a flag ebcause it is symbolic speech, I will not support anybody who does so and I will withdraw my support from anybody who does so if I had supported them before.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LoonyConservative

The message at a Boston GA

A possible reason police do nothing granted it's Toronto but you get the idea.

Protesters trying to stop "Black Bloc"

Occupy Oakland vs "Black Bloc" highly recommend watching this one. If anyone can say the two groups are the same after watching these then you are making a choice to lie. I say it again Occupy Oakland was not even at the protests the OP is claiming.

posted on Jul, 6 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
seabag

just name a group you belong to and we will flame away

not all of "the left" thinks the same way

not all of of the "occupiers" think the same way

disinfo is almost as dangerous as seabag,

everythinhg the tea party does is flowers and puppies and
everything occupiers do is devilsh and comunist

sea bag is lazy and loves to paint a whole group with the brush of a few.

conitive disodence of the highest order from seabag

no star and no flag for this devicive trash
again sea bag really

do you have no shame?

xploder

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join